Old 10-26-2014, 07:10 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblerGuy View Post
I'd suggest that everyone reread the warning from Progressive posted by Ham Bone. The installed wire conductor sizes are the limiting factors.

Check the breaker and conductor sizes feeding the convertor, and check the conductor size from the convertor to the distribution panel. Check the distribution panel 12 volt side rating. (The 12 volt side of the WFCO panel in our Sunseeker 3100 is rated for 100 amps.) Upgrade it if either is too small for the new rating and you will be safe.

I'll also point out that adding the fuse sizes to come up with the capacity of the system is not a valid approach. Fuses and breakers protect the conductors that are downstream of them. You can have any number of fuses or breakers on a distribution system. The distribution system (panel) is protected by the fuse or breaker the feeds it, which can be in the panel or at the power source. Look at the fuse or breaker panel in your house. A typical panel will be rated for 200 amps but may have 30 breakers rated for 15 to 50 amps. Same for the fuse panels in your vehicles. The logic is that every circuit is not loaded to the maximum rating at any time.
Why would a larger amperage converter need bigger conductor and a bigger breaker than the smaller amperage converter it replaced? The DC load hasn't increased and that would be the only thing that would significantly increase the draw on the AC breaker. The current from the converter to the distribution panel will not increase just because the converter has more amps, so why would you need bigger conductor? In other words, the AC breaker and the DC conductors were designed for a current draw of A. Installing a larger converter with a higher amperage capacity does not increase A.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:48 AM   #12

The DC amps could increase. Amps going to the batteries is generally what's left after all other uses are satisfied. With a larger convertor more amps are available for the batteries. Consider what happens when you plug in after dry camping for a while. The batteries are low and the convertor will go to full output trying to bring the system voltage up. The higher capacity convertor will put out more amps than the existing one.

Also the owner could add or use more 12 volt items.

If you limit (fuse) the convertor feed you would be okay but why put in a larger convertor if you do this? Next owner may not be aware of the conductor limitations and change fuse to match the convertor rating, then overload the wires.

Stay safe. Match the conductor sizes to the fuses.

RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 04:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblerGuy View Post
The DC amps could increase. Amps going to the batteries is generally what's left after all other uses are satisfied. With a larger convertor more amps are available for the batteries. Consider what happens when you plug in after dry camping for a while. The batteries are low and the convertor will go to full output trying to bring the system voltage up. The higher capacity convertor will put out more amps than the existing one.

Also the owner could add or use more 12 volt items.

If you limit (fuse) the convertor feed you would be okay but why put in a larger convertor if you do this? Next owner may not be aware of the conductor limitations and change fuse to match the convertor rating, then overload the wires.

Stay safe. Match the conductor sizes to the fuses.
Well there you have it. That's the thing I hadn't considered. The conditions exist to overload the conductor carrying the recharging current to the battery. That alone, if nothing else, explains why PD issued the warning. Most people, when replacing the converter, will not check the carrying capacity of the charging conductor.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:10 PM   #14

The converter supplies current on demand. If there is a 1 amp demand that is what is furnished. The only way you are at risk is if you create a demand that is more than the existing wiring can handle. Since the converter usually only supplies relatively low demand objects (probably the furnace fan is the biggest user) it is unlikely there are problems.

I am sure the battery charging side of the system has limits to the power that is supplied.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:28 PM   #15

I also think PD is assuming that if your putting in a larger converter you plan on using its extra capacity otherwise why are you spending the money for a larger unit.

Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe
2 Mtn. Bikes
4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 12:32 PM   #16
Average Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Vibe View Post
I also think PD is assuming that if your putting in a larger converter you plan on using its extra capacity otherwise why are you spending the money for a larger unit.
I agree. The potential is there....

Southern Maryland and Beyond!

MrJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 05:21 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJoe View Post
I agree. The potential is there....
To charge the battery faster, The #6 wire to your charger can handle more then the amperage. It will not increase your 12 volts amps. per mr clemens the sunnseeker comes with a 60 amp charger. When the charger comes on it would not change the 12 volt to higher amperage. mine came with a 50 amp, I should have gone to 70 amps.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 05:33 PM   #18
Average Joe

The potential is also there that someone might add circuits (load).

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Southern Maryland and Beyond!

MrJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 05:40 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJoe View Post
The potential is also there that someone might add circuits (load).

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
anything is possible but increasing your converter to 70 from 60 will not hurt anything but charge your battery faster. They list the charging amps not the 12v side.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 10:07 PM   #20

You may want to increase the 12 volt wire from the converter to your battery bank. Mine is 8AWG from converter -> battery (25ft). I plan to upgrade mine to 1 or 2 AWG.

2011 2902ss Rockwood Ultralight
2008 Grand Cherokee 3.0L Diesel (255 hp @ 2900 rpm / 430 lb-ft @ 1,400-2,800 rpm)
3P ProPride Hitch
RV Mods
Wandering RV Life
WestCoastRV'er is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter