Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2016, 07:35 PM   #1

Why don't RV's have battery trickle chargers when plugged in ?

My FR Lex 265DS does not charge the hotel batteries when plugged in to local power. This caused my slides and auto-levelers to malfunction due to depleted batteries. My boat has a trickle charge that keeps both batteries charged all the time. Can a battery trickle charger be added to the main power system? Why isn't that standard?
fdwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 07:43 PM   #2

Your unit should charge the batteries when plugged in to power that is what the converter does when working right.
Old 01-18-2016, 07:52 PM   #3
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Transfer switch malfunction?
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 08:08 PM   #4

You have a problem with your converter
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 12:43 PM   #5

Bad converter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdwarren View Post
My FR Lex 265DS does not charge the hotel batteries when plugged in to local power. This caused my slides and auto-levelers to malfunction due to depleted batteries. My boat has a trickle charge that keeps both batteries charged all the time. Can a battery trickle charger be added to the main power system? Why isn't that standard?
A lot of the converters are made in China and a malfunction isn't uncommon.
sfsgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 01:05 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Op if you have a 8955 Wfco converter and need one, I have an upgraded new in the box replacement

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 01:05 PM   #7

Cool

Quote:
Make sure your battery disconnect switch is NOT in the disconnect position.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:58 PM   #8
Air Force Retiree

Make Sure your converter is putting out, and tHat house battery switch is turned on.
Also check the model of your converter to make sure it will cycle to a trick charge when batteries are fully charged. Cheap converters don't do this and will run your batteries dry and then burn up your batteries if left on charge all the time.
Retired Air Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 04:46 PM   #9

Where oh where is my charge?

Quote:
Most if not all rv's that have a on board power system (storage batteries) have a onboard charger, now it should be said that there is a big difference between a low end charging system and a high end system. That being said most factory installed converters are the low to middle grade models (until you get to high end motorhomes) and if you are going to be spending a good amount of time off grid you will absolutely want to upgrade the converter and battery system the factory installs.

But this is no way means that you coach should not be charging the (house) batteries even to just maintain a basic amount of power to use the slides and the leveling system. So since you did not state the year of your coach/battery no one help with any battery conditions, so you will need to have your battery checked t see if it can in fact hold a charge, and if you battery can indeed hold a charge then have the converter checked for it's operation.

Ju7st to let you know with the factory converters not being the best most owners will have the need to replace them within a five year period for one reason or another, so it is not unusual for that to happen.

Hope some of this helps and Happy Camping

P.S. and yes last yr i had the need to change mine and yes it was upgraded from factory
silverback 35ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 04:59 PM   #10
Site Team

Howdy fdwarren, I read your post about the battery chargers (which is a function of your converter). Here are some links I always suggest for those new (don't worry we were all new at one point in time) to the RV/motorhome lifestyle that may help. You can read at your own leisure.

Electrical 101:

Basic RV Electricity - RV Information (RV Maintenance)

The function of the converter:

http://rvservices.koa.com/rvinformat...d-amp-draw.asp

General purpose everything electrical. Peruse all the tabs:

RV Electric

Dual power source Suburban water heater (if equipped on yours). This one is probably the most misunderstood thing in a RV for those just starting out.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ore-36197.html

Hope it helps, Bobby

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 05:50 PM   #11

I never just run slides or jacks on battery power when shore power available last thing I do is level unit then put slides out or use gen set by the time U run the jacks and the slides the battery's. Are low not good. For the pump or motors
Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 05:57 PM   #12

You have given me great info and super links. It appears I have a converter issue, because I was plugged into 120v shore power but the batteries were not charged. They were fine 3 weeks before on our last trip. Thank you all. This is agreed forum, especially for a newly like me.
fdwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 11:37 PM   #13

We also have a 2012 Lexington 265DS, a real good MH to fit our needs.

After having to change last year's new batteries (under store warranty), we found the guilty apparatus: WFCO converter.

On 1/9/2016, ordered a new Progessive Dynamics PD9260C from Best Converter.com.

Should arrive within few days; just in time for departure dowm South to get old bones warmer.
HerveVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerveVR View Post
We also have a 2012 Lexington 265DS, a real good MH to fit our needs.

After having to change last year's new batteries (under store warranty), we found the guilty apparatus: WFCO converter.

On 1/9/2016, ordered a new Progessive Dynamics PD9260C from Best Converter.com.

Should arrive within few days; just in time for departure dowm South to get old bones warmer.
The WFCO converter was the first thing to go in my unit in the first 6 months. Per the recommendation of my local RV guy [Newcastle RV in Brunswick GA] I ordered and installed a Progressive unit and have been very satisfied. I also use the Progressive 50 amp surge protector. That has saved us twice, once with a bad ground leg at the box. GFI kept kicking out. Checked the protector and sure enough, no ground.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery