Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2015, 09:26 AM   #1

Why you need RV Power Protection

After this weekends occurrence I am even more sold than ever that ALL RV's need power protection such as the Progressive Industries EMS. I am being careful not to say "surge protector" because a basic surge protector doesn't monitor for problems such as open ground, over or under voltage, reverse polarity, etc. With that being said, I installed the EMS-HW50C unit on our new Puma and started getting open neutral error codes. I got out the multimeter and started troubleshooting. Had ground continuity from the trailer side of the connection back to the ground rod at the pedestal. Had continuity to the inlet side of the EMS to the trailer outlets. Therefore, I knew the problem was at the inlet. Removed the inlet and discovered that the ground connection tab was broken off. It was broken cleanly, which was odd, but it pretty much had to occur during installation. Without the EMS, there is no way I would have ever known that the ground was not making contact. If a hot wire would have ever made contact with metal, it could've shocked someone. I attached a pic showing the missing ground tab.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Inlet.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	350.1 KB
ID:	70544  
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 09:38 AM   #2

Thanks for posting this. Just reinforces to me that I made the right choice - I ordered an EMS-HW30C for our new Apex just this past Saturday. I will be installing it prior to our first trip.
2015 Coachmen Apex 259BHSS 50th Anniversary (sold)
rjc1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 09:46 AM   #3

Nice share dustman! I'm in the "on-board with that" category! It's cheap insurance that can be carried along unit-to-unit!
Old 03-02-2015, 09:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjc1024 View Post
Thanks for posting this. Just reinforces to me that I made the right choice - I ordered an EMS-HW30C for our new Apex just this past Saturday. I will be installing it prior to our first trip.
Ironically enough I just ordered my EMS-HW30C Saturday as well. It is something I had been putting off for a while and luckily have not been "Punished" for not having already installed one before now. I should receive it today and will be installing it in our 318BHS tonight when I get home.

I'm sure it will give me great Peace of Mind once it is in place.
2012 Primetime Lacrosse 318 BHS
Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 10:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
Nice share dustman! I'm in the "on-board with that" category! It's cheap insurance that can be carried along unit-to-unit!
I totally believe in them too. Never had an electrical issue, nor do I want one.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 10:19 AM   #6

Quote:
It's cheap insurance that can be carried along unit-to-unit!
Exactly. The Progressive units have lifetime warranties.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscampsin View Post
I totally believe in them too. Never had an electrical issue, nor do I want one.
This is actually the second thing I've caught with one. I had a 30 amp hardwired model on our first camper back in 2012 and it gave a reverse polarity error code. Discovered my pedestal at the house was wired reverse. Also, when I sold my 2012 Puma 30DBSS I removed that 30 amp model and informed the new owner it had been installed and he should consider one. Very first trip out they lost ground connection at the lake they were staying at and fried the inverter. Cost of new inverter would have paid for the EMS and he would have then been protected in the future.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:27 AM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

This thread should be a "sticky"
Moderators?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 10:36 AM   #9
Site Team

Dustman-- is the photo of the socket on the side of your RV?
You say the ground lug is broken off but where is the ground wire???
Did they not even run a ground wire to the socket?
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 11:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
Dustman-- is the photo of the socket on the side of your RV?
You say the ground lug is broken off but where is the ground wire???
Did they not even run a ground wire to the socket?
Yes, it is the socket on the side of the RV. I uninstalled the connector and removed the wires during the process. The portion of the ground lug that was broken off was still clamped to the lug(?)a that you screw the wire down with.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:50 PM   #11

I couldn't agree more that power protection is a necessity. We have an EMS-PT30C from Progressive Industries. It not only protected us from a power overload while staying at a fair, Progressive Industries then replaced the surge module inside at no cost except shipping charges getting it to them. I will never be without.
MERV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 04:55 PM   #12
Love RVing

Makes sense. We fried a coffee maker in a Ga State Park because 30 amp was wired incorrectly. Fortunately we were heating with propane or could have been more expensive. Also recognized a problem on AC unit at a NC State Park but was able to use their 50 amp connection there.
burse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 06:14 PM   #13

I built a new home last year with a barn to store my fiver. I ask the electrician to install a RV 30 amp circuit for my RV. After move in I plugged the RV into the outlet but had no power. I checked the EMS which I had installed earlier and it indicated a problem. After looking at the outlet I discovered it had been wired incorrectly. You would think that a licensed electrician would know better. Progressive EMS may have saved me from a serious issue.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 07:28 PM   #14

Progressive Electrical Management System, Hardwire 50A/240V EMS-HW50C in Windjammer

Has anyone installed one of these Progressive Electrical Management System, Hardwire 50A/240V EMS-HW50C in a Rockwood Windjammer? Just wondering if there a problem with finding a space to install it.

2014 RAM 2500 Laramie Longhorn 4 x 4
6.4 Hemi 410 HP, 410 Rear Axle
gashog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 07:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MERV View Post
I couldn't agree more that power protection is a necessity. We have an EMS-PT30C from Progressive Industries. It not only protected us from a power overload while staying at a fair, Progressive Industries then replaced the surge module inside at no cost except shipping charges getting it to them. I will never be without.
When you had the surge and the surge module blew, your vacation is over? on the flip side if you didn't have it your vacation is still over, but with the cost of replacing who knows what...

2014 RAM 2500 Laramie Longhorn 4 x 4
6.4 Hemi 410 HP, 410 Rear Axle
gashog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 07:52 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gashog View Post
Has anyone installed one of these Progressive Electrical Management System, Hardwire 50A/240V EMS-HW50C in a Rockwood Windjammer? Just wondering if there a problem with finding a space to install it.
No problem at all. Your power center is mounted in the island peninsula and there's room to the right side. Need to pull out the power center to install it as well as spend some time in awkward body contortions. Will need to use some flexible cable to make the bend out the "other side" of the HW50C and into your power center. I used Amcor marine cable because I have marine supplies every few miles around here... 3 feet was plenty. Installed one in 3029W for friends last October.

P.S. - Watch the 240V!
Old 03-02-2015, 08:00 PM   #17
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gashog View Post
When you had the surge and the surge module blew, your vacation is over? on the flip side if you didn't have it your vacation is still over, but with the cost of replacing who knows what...
Why would there vacation be over with the surge guard?
Old 03-02-2015, 08:02 PM   #18
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddubya View Post
I built a new home last year with a barn to store my fiver. I ask the electrician to install a RV 30 amp circuit for my RV. After move in I plugged the RV into the outlet but had no power. I checked the EMS which I had installed earlier and it indicated a problem. After looking at the outlet I discovered it had been wired incorrectly. You would think that a licensed electrician would know better. Progressive EMS may have saved me from a serious issue.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Electricians think that since it a 30 amp plug "similar to a electric dryer" that it should be wired for 220 "like a dryer or welder" would be.
My guess is they don't know any better and uneducated about a 30 amp rv .
Old 03-02-2015, 08:07 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
Why would there vacation be over with the surge guard?
In that case, seems the PI unit gave the ultimate sacrifice to save the life of what it protected...

Some happy campers lose their happiness when the juice dies!
Old 03-02-2015, 08:10 PM   #20
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
In that case, seems the PI unit gave the ultimate sacrifice to save the life of what it protected...

Some happy campers lose their happiness when the juice dies!
You can still bypass the ems and carry on like nothing happened.
Unless your afraid of the park power still lol.

TURBS

Tags
power