Old 11-17-2015, 12:51 PM   #1
Will a Honda EU3000 generator run my trailer?

found a deal on a nearly new Honda EU3000 generator. Does anyone know if it's capable of running my camper? 13,500 a/c currently, but may upgrade to 15k a/c on my next camper. This generator is rated for 27 amps which I think should be sufficient but I don't know for sure.

going dry camping this winter and will need to run off a generator. will be running the furnace for now which I know the EU3000 could handle, but would like it to be capable of running the a/c, tv, microwave etc if the need ever arose.

steveh326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 12:59 PM   #2
It will run a 13.5K Btu. There is a difference between a EU3000i Handi and a EU3000 is. The " is" puts out a slightly higher max output wattage but weighs more and no wheels. I have the Handi and even use it as a standby at the house through a transfer switch and it works right respectably with low noise and fuel consumption. ( No central AC or well)

2016 Flagstaff 27VRL Emerald
14K Equalizer
2014 GMC 2500HD CC 4X4 6.0L
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 01:24 PM   #3
The EU3000i is lighter, but puts out less amperage, has no electric start and is also louder than the EU3000is.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 230 AH Battery Bank - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting - Boon Docking 99% of the time.
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre - 6 speed - Tow Package
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 01:40 PM   #4
thanks. the one I am looking at is the 3000is. I will rig up a cart or set of wheels for it eventually.

sounds like it will do the job for what I need.
steveh326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 01:39 AM   #5
Power Management is the key. You are limited to the rating. Some devices have startup surge load. I ran a Honda 3,000w w/15K A/C.
I would:
Turn refrig. on propane, turn off converter, water heater on gas, start a/c and then turn back on converter. Running the micro will work as long as a/c does NOT restart during its use so turn thermostat lower to prevent this from happening. A 4-4.5K would be better but Honda's next size quiet unit is a 6-6.5K at $3,800. I only ran my gen 1 hr in morning and 1 hr in evening.
Good Luck - Happy Camping

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
mfMcFroggierPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 11:41 AM   #6
You can purchase a Honda wheel kit for the EU3000is. You may not be able to run high wattage appliances at the same time. High wattage appliances: air conditioner, water heater on electric power, microwave, hair dryer, larger coffee pot, larger toaster, etc. It is rated to output continuous 2,800 watts. It has a safety overload protection, so you can not hurt it by trying multiple appliances. You can read the appliance wattage on most appliances on the label or moulded into the case. Load management is key.
2013 Flagstaff 8528IKWS, 2006 F-350 6.0L
DickiedooFlagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 08:31 PM   #7
I have one and love it. I was in Miami visiting my brother in law and mentioned that I needed to buy one and he said I think I have the exact gen set your talking about, He said they gave it to him after Hurricaine Andrew and he'd never used it as it was still in the box. I brought it home assuming it would be a project put oil in engine added fuel the battery was dry but the acid was in syringes and I added it to battery and then charged it for an hour or so, and honest I hit the key and after 19 years sitting in his garage it started....Runs great starts every time might have to choke it but a great gen set...and can't beat the price I paid...One note with any gen. every month or so need to start and run preferably under a load. I also only use the alcohol free gas It wouldn't hurt to use a fuel stabalizer If you overload it there is a overload cutoff so you can't hurt the gen. Bill W.
William5829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 09:43 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
Btw dometic recommends no less then 3500 running watts.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 10:07 PM   #9
I tried the 3000IS from my local Honda Dealer. It tripped the breaker trying to start at the 15K BTU AC unit. It was not even hot only 60 degrees! The Convertor was on, everything else off. Battery was fully charged. It is not up to the job you want to use it for.

I bought a 4 kw Fuel Injected Powerhouse at the Toronto RV Show for $1200 CDN that starts the AC just fine, i run the Fridge and everything but HW on AC.

B and B
2013 Rockwood 8289 Diamond Edition
GY D's/2.5 inch lift kit/Powerhouse 4 KW EFI Generator
2016 Ford F 350 Lariat Power Stroke Diesel Crew Cab FX4
2008 Golden Falcon 380PA Park Model Model

"Oh Canada,True North Strong and Free!"
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote

generator, trailer