Old 09-08-2013, 06:43 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to yelhelp
wire diagram ?for ID

My salem toy hauler has been sitting in a lot next to our house for a month. I have it plugged in to the electric because I'm working on some little things to get it ready for a trip in Sept . I walk in yesterday and No lights , no radio, no power . I check the breakers and a double throw is tripped. I know that they sometimes get weak , so off I go to get a new one. Come back , install the new breaker , wha-la that trips as well. SO Now it seems that I have a short SOMEPLACE in the unit. Anyone agree or disagree? This circuit seems to be all the lights ,radio, maybe receptacles (got to check that) But two other breakers not tripping off. It would be great if there was a wire diagram of this. I wonder do these have fusible linkes? that may have gone ? I have 10 days to figure this out or this trip is toast and the trip to Texas in Jan is on the line.

Old 09-08-2013, 07:01 AM   #2

I'm confused too with your problem. All lights, radio are 12V, so that could be a ground. The breakers only should take care of your 110v. I know of no links. I would check your convertor with a meter. If you are tripping a breaker like that you would need a dead short. Also check your ground fault plugs. Are you sure it is not the power cord coming in? You need to work backwards from the source. Even if you shut off your main breaker the 12V side should still work. Is your unit 50 amp or 30 amp? As far as a wiring diagram I called the factory, they said they do not have one at least for my unit. They told me it would depend on who wired it, which I find hard to believe.

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:17 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
I'm confused too with your problem. All lights, radio are 12V, so that could be a ground. The breakers only should take care of your 110v. I know of no links. I would check your convertor with a meter. If you are tripping a breaker like that you would need a dead short. Also check your ground fault plugs. Are you sure it is not the power cord coming in? You need to work backwards from the source. Even if you shut off your main breaker the 12V side should still work. Is your unit 50 amp or 30 amp? As far as a wiring diagram I called the factory, they said they do not have one at least for my unit. They told me it would depend on who wired it, which I find hard to believe.

I did notice that the main line that you plug in for the power has a separation at the wire / plug and I think this happened after a real heavy down pour rain storm. Rain could have gotten under the outer covering.
Thanks I will start there I wish they sent a wire diagram with these things,
.To be clear on our 30amp " breakers are for the 120, My lights and radio work on 12volt"/? I now have a starting place thank you for your reply.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelhelp View Post
I did notice that the main line that you plug in for the power has a separation at the wire / plug and I think this happened after a real heavy down pour rain storm. Rain could have gotten under the outer covering.
Thanks I will start there I wish they sent a wire diagram with these things,
.To be clear on our 30amp " breakers are for the 120, My lights and radio work on 12volt"/? I now have a starting place thank you for your reply.
That is correct, your 110v go's to your convertor and breaker panel. You should have all mini type fuse's for the 12V not breakers.It is really two different systems in that panel.Make sure also that you do not have a dead short in the battery. PM me if you run into a problem. by the way were did your double breaker trip at? in your trailer panel or home panel? You should not have a double pull breaker in your 30 amp trailer. If it was your house panel it would be 220v and then you fired everything in that converter..
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
Old 09-08-2013, 08:00 AM   #5

The breaker in the RV not at the home Panel. there are two 20 amp top and bottom and one 15 amp in the middle of them It is the 15 amp that is triping. in the panel for the RV.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:13 AM   #6

Quote:
The breaker in the RV not at the home Panel. there are two 20 amp top and bottom and one 15 amp in the middle of them It is the 15 amp that is triping. in the panel for the RV.
Okay check your GFI receptacles. You might have 1 in the bath, 1 near the galley, and maybe one outside. the 15amp would go to one of your appliances or the GFI. try that. Also if you can check that extension you got running to the trailer if you got water in it you will trip. Also unplug each 110v app. then plug them back in 1 at a time and see which one is tripping the 15 amp breaker. You lights should still work off the battery. If not check for a dead short in the battery. Sorry about all these steps, but that's the way I would start. Hope this helps
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
Old 09-08-2013, 08:50 AM   #7

You should also have a 30 amp breaker in that trailer panel, should be on top first, that is your main breaker, if that is not tripped it is on what ever that 15 amp feeds.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
Old 09-08-2013, 09:01 AM   #8

Agreed, I'm a little confused too but it seems to me you have two problems not just one.

As the previous poster said, find out what is all plugged in and hard wired to the 15A breaker that's tripping. Disconnect them and reconnect them one at a time. Of course all disconnecting and reconnecting should be done with the breakers off. Each time you add an appliance or load, turn the power back on for a few minutes to see if it trips. Once it does, you should have it narrowed down.

As for the DC side. Just to be clear... ALL of the lights in the unit, radio, TV amp, furnace, LP detector, roof vent fans, fridge (running on gas)... None of them work? If this is the case, check inside your converter/breaker box. Look for a collection of high amperage fuses (usually 2 - 4) rated some where between 20-40 each that should be right next to each other. This would be the main fuse cluster from your battery. Sometimes reversing polarity on a battery can blow these. Check you battery polarity. If none of this is wrong look at your battery cables and make sure there are no cuts or bare spots from the battery all the way back to the converter (I hope you don't have an enclosed underbelly.

It's a start anyway... Best of luck!

2008 F150 FX4 5.4L & 3.73s
2014 PTM Tracer 3200BHT
Yes...I've finally made it to Prime Time!
Mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:03 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
I have a few questions yelhelp.

1. Exactly what are you plugged into at your house in order to receive 120 volt electricity? Are you plugged into an actual 30 amp outlet (that would had to be special wired) or are you plugged into a 15/20 amp outlet (common household circuit) via an adapter....or even something else?

EDIT: Are you also running extension cords to the lot next door, and if so, how long are they.

2. Have you accidently left your water heaters electric heating element turned on, with no water in the heater? A burned out element will sometimes play havoc on the circuit breaker for it. Here is a FAQ on the Suburban water heaters possibly location of it's electric switch that commonly get's left on and the heating element burns out.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ore-36197.html

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:08 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
I have a few questions yelhelp.

1. Exactly what are you plugged into at your house in order to receive 120 volt electricity? Are you plugged into an actual 30 amp outlet (that would had to be special wired) or are you plugged into a 15/20 amp outlet (common household circuit) via an adapter?

2. Have you accidently left your water heaters electric heating element turned on, with no water in the heater? A burned out element will sometimes play havoc on the circuit breaker for it. Here is a FAQ on the Suburban water heaters possibly location of it's electric switch that commonly get's left on and the heating element burns out.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ore-36197.html
Good point on the water heater.

2008 F150 FX4 5.4L & 3.73s
2014 PTM Tracer 3200BHT
Yes...I've finally made it to Prime Time!
Mister is offline   Reply With Quote