Old 05-16-2016, 11:30 AM   #1
Wire Routing

I put this previously in the maintenance section with no replies so I'm trying here:

I have a new 2017 Rockwood 2306 travel trailer. The trailer is prewired with power and mount for a Furrion wireless backup camera that I cannot use with existing backup monitor in my truck. I need to put in a wired camera. These little cameras can be had for less than $5 on FleaBay. Power for the running lights and Furrion camera exists, so wire routing interior to the walls has been done someway. Does anybody know how/where this wiring is where I can pull in another signal wire without surface mounting the wire? The Furrion camera mount where I want to mount the new camera is high center within an inch or two of the running lights so I can use the same wire chase the running lights use.

safetychain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 11:53 AM   #2
Head Rambler
I'll be surprised if you are able to fish a wire in with the existing wires in the unit. I'm not sure if the camera power is on all the time or if it uses the 7-way backup power. If it has a wire ran to the 7-way you may be able to trace it and see if there's a way to fish a wire along it's route.

Salem 29RKSS Pushing a 2500 Mega-Cab CTD!
Gotta go campin!
Bama Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 07:55 PM   #3
This camper has the smooth fiberglass/Styrofoam sandwich walls. I'm pretty sure that the camera prewire likely has power all the time and only the monitor turns on and off with the reverse, but I will be checking that. That is one of the reasons for using a wired camera as the signal cable has power conductors running with it. I've pulled all the access hatches, most of the running light fixtures and the rear turn signal/stop light fixtures and I cannot see any wires going up from anyplace near the back of the camper. This is out fourth camper, the only new one, and I really don't want to run any wiring on the outside or cut any additional holes. Just want to keep it looking new. Plus the Furrion system is $300+ and would require another device on the dash of the truck.
Old 05-17-2016, 07:32 AM   #4
Something like this?

Rear View Camera | 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

2001 Coachmen Mirada (Ford F53 6.8L V10) - Toad 2001 Civic
It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 08:53 AM   #5
Yes, only the camera is not already at an angle where I shouldn't have his'upside down' problem. The spare tire and bicycle rack preclude mounting low on the bumper where wiring wouldn't be a problem. I have a 30 ft signal/power wire where the transmitter/receiver gap will only be from front frame of the camper to truck. I'm not sure how well transmission will go through front and back of the camper if I mount the transmitter on the back. The reviews for the transmitter weren't encouraging on that, though that may be my only option.