Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2018, 04:33 PM   #1

Wiring in solar controller past Zamp connector?

Hello all first post but long time camper. We ended up getting a good deal at the camper show this year after doing two years of homework and settled on the 2507 this year mostly due to now we have real wood floors!

This is camper number eight. SO I want to move the solar set up from the old camper.
I want to use the Zamp inlet but would like my controller to be in the dry in the front storage. Does anyone know if there is enough slack in the wire to do so?

I understand the Zamp wire size is for a tender at best. We are still working so three and four day trips are our longest and just topping off with our 200 amps of harbor freight fury will suffice for now. Has anyone done this yet?

PS I have checked the polarity of my connector and it is correct. Also we mostly only dry camp!!!
Couick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 05:18 PM   #2

Add one of these to the back of one panel and you’re golden. Waterproof. Easy to install. Controller is right at the panel.

https://www.morningstarcorp.com/products/sunkeeper/
carlsbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 05:24 PM   #3

I just finished our solar installation (this morning). After reading various sources I decided to run my own wiring (10 gauge) which came with our Renogy kit by totally bypassing the factory wiring which looks like 16 or so gauge. From everything I have read, I would not use the factory junk! Have fun! John

Sent from my XT1080 using Forest River Forums mobile app
flyboy700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 10:04 PM   #4

I posted here the size before of the zamp connector. I can’t exact remember now but it is either 14 or more likely 16 gauge. Not much, just a basic connection from the battery to the outside wall of the camper. I reversed poliarity and hooked the connection to the hot side of the battery disconnect switch. Now I can plug in my 1.5 amp float charger/maintainer directly to the side of the unit without having to turn the batteries on or plugging in the 30 amp plug. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:09 AM   #5

200W will be around 11A if aimed perfectly. 10 would be correct gauge for around 15' because it keeps you at 3% voltage drop. Anything longer, I would go with 8. Just remember, that you calculate voltage drop for the combined distance of positive and negative leads.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
controller, solar, wiring