Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2014, 02:16 PM   #1
Linda and Larry Doyle

wiring schematics

How do you trouble shoot wiring problems, if no schematics are available. I have three wires going into my AC/Fireplace switch and do not know if it was wired correctly or not from factory? One wire goes to fuse box, one goes to AC unit and one goes to Fireplace wallplug. Changed Switch but AC side works and fireplace circuit does not!

2013 Salem Villa Classic
Parked at Green Acres near Kincardine, ON
400rets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 09:28 PM   #2

schematics

I called for wiring diagram at the RV factory for my Coachmen Clipper 16fb and got the same answer.

They must have some sort of rudimentary schematic or how could they have any quality control. I'm retired from the electronics field and I've seen diagrams for the most basic circuits.

I'm installing solar power into my trailer. All I have to work with is a user's manual for the power inverter/breaker box. I wanted to supply power for the AC and microwave but have to pull the breaker box/ inverter to trace the wiring. It would save me hours of time from using a multimeter and tracing the wiring. I still wouldn't be confident that I might miss a branch circuit somewhere.

There's a plug for the solar system and it's connected to the battery and ground and neutral. I have no idea how it's connected to recharge the one stock battery
I need to know this to check to complete my hookup. So far I can run all the 12volt items like fans, lights, radio. I can recharge the stock battery. I've got fuses and breakers a d switches protecting every leg of my system just incase of misfiring.

It would go a lot easier if the company would just release a basic wiring diagram!

REGARDS
LookingWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 09:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingWolf View Post
I called for wiring diagram at the RV factory for my Coachmen Clipper 16fb and got the same answer.

They must have some sort of rudimentary schematic or how could they have any quality control. I'm retired from the electronics field and I've seen diagrams for the most basic circuits.

I'm installing solar power into my trailer. All I have to work with is a user's manual for the power inverter/breaker box. I wanted to supply power for the AC and microwave but have to pull the breaker box/ inverter to trace the wiring. It would save me hours of time from using a multimeter and tracing the wiring. I still wouldn't be confident that I might miss a branch circuit somewhere.

There's a plug for the solar system and it's connected to the battery and ground and neutral. I have no idea how it's connected to recharge the one stock battery
I need to know this to check to complete my hookup. So far I can run all the 12volt items like fans, lights, radio. I can recharge the stock battery. I've got fuses and breakers a d switches protecting every leg of my system just incase of misfiring.

It would go a lot easier if the company would just release a basic wiring diagram!

REGARDS
Actually FR has very good CAD drawing of every system of every unit they build.... Without them they couldn't get approvals from a myriad of regulatory bodies for systems and components. Just like UL for appliances. They are regulated just like airplanes, ships and buildings. As a matter of fact a Solera dwg was published on the forum for electrical systems, about 7 pages for one model, electric only.

Problem is FR doesn't want to release them, proprietary they say.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 12:02 PM   #4

Hi folks, I have the same kind of problem. I also am one of those electronic techs. Got a panic call to help fix my friends 2000 Georgetown for an up coming trip. The front A/C doesn't work nor the furnace that he is sure to need this trip. I found the Brown 12Vdc wire is dead to the A/C unit and the wire just goes into the overhead someplace. There has to be a fuse in it someplace or a junction . I used a toner and it doesn't appear in any of the places you would think it would be fed from.
To get him on his way I made a new temp. feed with an inline fuse holder right to the house battery. Crude but effective, he has heat but I still need to know where that wire comes from to fix it properly. No way I am going to open up the overhead.
So far info is so proprietary even the dealers and shops don't have it.
I do feel your pain!
dvrablic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 03:39 PM   #5

Did you ck the Ford chassis diagram, that is available. Dash air/heat often sourced there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wiring