Old 03-09-2013, 10:38 AM   #21
Denver, CO

If you are hooking a second battery to a first, they need to be the same type, size and age. If you want to switch them (run one for awhile and then another). Then you can get whatever. Lots of other important details on these types of q's. A single large battery bank handles large discharges better (per Peukert) than two singles. A good battery monitor will also help to gauge the amount of AH's you are using and help protect the battery, or batteries from deep discharge that will reduce their life.

Old 03-09-2013, 10:46 AM   #22
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Thanks, I've not looked to see what batt our th came with,it should b new,so if I add I can just get the same one or mult of same? Going to put them in a tongue box,do you think one or two small vents in box will be ok?

Old 03-09-2013, 11:00 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolling buckeye View Post
As I read about the Trojan batt,I am curious as to how a yellow top optima compares? As adding at least one more batt.is second on my list(just after buying a spare tire,I can't write my thoughts of why a 28-44,000 $ tt would not have come with a spare.) this seems deceitful by both my dealer and forrest river,but too late now,it would seem a spare tire is considered an option by FR Really!!! Anyway,is the extra $ of the optima worth it as compared to the Trojan,and is it even as good?
I've not had a lot of experience with Optimas but they have their benefits (spill proof, mount in any direction, little self-depletion) and drawbacks (not many Ah for the $). Here's a bit of reading for you. Several members on the board have them.

The thing about the spare is that FR (at least Rockwood/Flagstaff) includes in into popular option packages or as a standalone option. Weird, but that's the way it is.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:14 AM   #24
Denver, CO

Quote:
Thanks, I've not looked to see what batt our th came with,it should b new,so if I add I can just get the same one or mult of same? Going to put them in a tongue box,do you think one or two small vents in box will be ok?
Yep if it's new, and you get one just like it then they may equalize together pretty well. New means you ordered it and just built it. I bought a new 5er once that was 18 months old, sitting on the lot and the battery was already toast. So make sure that new is NEW.

In a tongue box a vent hole in the top and bottom should be fine IMO.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:18 AM   #25
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

A long time ago I bought the optima's red top for my trucks because they had a lifetime warr. But not anymore,so now the $ factor is an issue.i parked the TH in the area I normally use for snow,now there is a large pile o snow around the front o trailer,may be next wk I can check what batt came with it.i want to get a locking box mounted soon,because this yr we have had batt's stolen from backhoe,tractors,and skid loader,on different job sights,little plastic box is not much deterrent,and kind of an advertisement to would be thieves.so box-then add batt's.
Thanks!
Old 03-09-2013, 11:20 AM   #26
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Dealer kept batt in shop for the same reason,THwas there a while,but I hope the batt is new
Old 03-09-2013, 12:16 PM   #27
Denver, CO

Quote:
Dealer kept batt in shop for the same reason,THwas there a while,but I hope the batt is new
The "old" battery will tend to suck down the new one to it's level, but if you are careful, you may get acceptable service out of the pair.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:27 PM   #28

Ok' I have two batteries in our present 5er, on Monday March 25th we are taking delivery of a new unit. Since the batteries I have are matched ( 2 12volt group 24 ) and that the dealer did not want my two battery set up I removed them from our trade-in. The question, I will be getting a new battery with the new unit, can I add this to my 2 battery set-up. The present 2 batteries are about 1 1/2 years old, how much would the new battery pull down the other 2. Would I be gaining anything by adding the third battery or should I just stay with the 2.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:53 PM   #29
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by f150k View Post
Ok' I have two batteries in our present 5er, on Monday March 25th we are taking delivery of a new unit. Since the batteries I have are matched ( 2 12volt group 24 ) and that the dealer did not want my two battery set up I removed them from our trade-in. The question, I will be getting a new battery with the new unit, can I add this to my 2 battery set-up. The present 2 batteries are about 1 1/2 years old, how much would the new battery pull down the other 2. Would I be gaining anything by adding the third battery or should I just stay with the 2.
There is not enough information to make an informed decision.

1) First the "matched" Grp 24s - Mfr and AH capacity when new.
2) Mfr, Grp, and AH of the new OEM

If all 3 batteries are very similar, a 3 cell bank is possible; but maybe not practical. Might be better to have 2 bank system 1 single new and the matched pair controlled by a 2 battery shutoff switch.

If faced with your situation, I personally would sell the new OEM battery back to the dealer and install my matched pair.

Then when my matched pair finally died (could be a few years if you take good care of them) I would buy a matched set of Trojans.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:12 PM   #30

Herk, this is what I found online, all three batteries are Interstate Marine/RV Deep Cycle. I thought as long as I would be getting another battery maybe I could make a 3 bank and hold off on doing a solar option for now?

SPECIFICATIONS
Product ID: HD24-DP
Amps: 505
Cranking Amps: 505
Cold Cranking Amps: 405
Voltage: 12
Termination: M
Weight: 41.2
Width: 6.88
Length: 11
Height: 9.5
Plates: 18