Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2018, 09:41 PM   #1

Wolf Pup Converter AGM Settings?

Hello everyone.

Just pulled home our brand new 2019 Wolf Pup 16BHS "Patriot Edition" last night, and my dealer sent it home with a standard group 24 marine battery.

I have a pair of Discover 140AH AGM deep cycle batteries that are very gently used. I got them for a steal of a price when I worked at a floor scrubber manufacturer!

https://discoverbattery.com/assets/d...en/EV12A-A.pdf

Is there a charge curve setting on the stock converter on the wolf pup to allow for these AGM batteries to be properly charged?

Thanks everyone.
AE0MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 01:01 AM   #2

There is no such setting of an RV converter that I am aware of. However, the converter should charge the AGM batteries acceptably. The converter should start charging at either 13.6 volts or 14.4 volts based on the battery voltage. And in less than two days drop to 13.2 volts and stay there with a possible brief spike back to 14.4 volts for several minutes once or twice per day. Most AGM’s are best bulk charged at 14.8 volts while being temperature monitored before dropping down to the absorption phase at lower voltage to top off. If this level of charging is desired, an external microprocessor controlled two or three stage battery charger with a setting for AGM batteries would be required. The new RV converter is a three-stage charger, it just is not set up to optimize AGM battery charging, so over time, your AGM batteries may lose capacity faster than they would with a more expensive charging unit. If there is an Atwood converter/charger, it may be a single stage charger set to about 13.7 fixed volts. I would just install the AGM batteries, call it a day, and go have fun camping.
Splitshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 01:22 AM   #3

Look at the spec of your batteries in the link you posted. It tells you everything you need to know, Bulk charge is spec'd at .25C20Hr max or 0.1020Hr min

Your 20 hr spec is 140Ah so the bulk charge should be between 140 * 0.25 max or 140 x 0.10 min which is between 35A and 14A. If your converter does that and meets the absorption spec, you are completely fine. If you have a WFCO converter, I doubt you will achieve that spec. A better converter will likely be fine.

Your link posted charging specs. All you have to do is find a charger that best meets them. A call to the battery company might be worth it if you don't understand what they have written in the spec.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 07:14 PM   #4
World Wide Wanderer

I would strongly reccomend you contact Randy at Best Converter make sure you have the brand and model number of your current model. He will answer any questions you have and give you solid suggestions. I do know that some converters can be adjusted for specific types and sizes of batteries, however they aren't the ones typically installed in most RVs sold. I would guess you probably have a WFCO, if so it is marginal for FLA batteries and probably not at all acceptable for AGM batteries. They are not particularly well made and have issues even charging correctly. I have had two go south on me in two different units. Both were replaced with Progressive Dynamic equivalents from Best Converter. I am going to be replacing the WFCO in my current rig with a PD fairly soon. It hasn't crapped out yet, but I am not happy with the charge curve on it.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 07:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Look at the spec of your batteries in the link you posted. It tells you everything you need to know, Bulk charge is spec'd at .25C20Hr max or 0.1020Hr min

Your 20 hr spec is 140Ah so the bulk charge should be between 140 * 0.25 max or 140 x 0.10 min which is between 35A and 14A. If your converter does that and meets the absorption spec, you are completely fine. If you have a WFCO converter, I doubt you will achieve that spec. A better converter will likely be fine.

Your link posted charging specs. All you have to do is find a charger that best meets them. A call to the battery company might be worth it if you don't understand what they have written in the spec.
I understand what the batteries want, what I was wondering is if the converter can satisfy the requirements of the batteries. I don't know what the converters in these trailers can do.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AE0MT View Post
I understand what the batteries want, what I was wondering is if the converter can satisfy the requirements of the batteries. I don't know what the converters in these trailers can do.
Sorry but my crystal ball is broken...can you post what your converter model number is?
Old 08-16-2018, 10:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Sorry but my crystal ball is broken...can you post what your converter model number is?
I didn't know when I posted the question, but I went to check this evening, and it's a WFCO WF-8955PEC.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AE0MT View Post
I didn't know when I posted the question, but I went to check this evening, and it's a WFCO WF-8955PEC.
I had that same model and I took it out shortly after I bought my trailer and sold it on ebay. I got $90 for it and used that to buy my current Progressive Dynamics converter.

My suggestion is to do what that previous poster said or buy a Progressive Dynamics converter.
Old 08-16-2018, 11:05 PM   #9

FYI, AGM deep cycle batteries require a slightly higher charge than flooded lead acid batteries to reach 100% SOC.
Attached Images

Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 11:07 PM   #10

Quote:
I had that same model and I took it out shortly after I bought my trailer and sold it on ebay. I got $90 for it and used that to buy my current Progressive Dynamics converter.

My suggestion is to do what that previous poster said or buy a Progressive Dynamics converter.

X2
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter, wolf pup