Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2019, 04:44 PM   #1
Always Learning

Xantrex 15amp Auto Transfer Switch Installation

I'm prepping for 2 weeks of boondocking. I just placed the order for two of the Xantrex 15amp Auto Transfer switches on Amazon. I was going to go for the KISAE one, but the price on the Xantrex is just too cheap.

I have a junction box already and I have cable clamps on hand.

I'd like to install 1 each for 2 different circuits.

Here's how I plan on proceeding:
  1. For the circuit breaker in question, disconnect hot, neutral, and ground wires that go to the circuit breaker/distribution panel
  2. Connect these to the AC Output to Load on the ATS (inside the junction box)
  3. Connect the AC Input 2 on the ATS to the circuit breaker where I disconnected them from the circuit breaker/distribution panel
  4. Connect an extension cord for AC Input 1 on the ATS that is plugged into the inverter

My first question, am I understanding this correctly?

My only concern is the length of the leads on the ATS having enough reach to make it back to/from the circuit breaker/distribution panel. If that's the case, I guess inside of the junction box, I'll run new 12/2 wire.

And lastly, 1 junction box or two? I only ask because I'm lazy and have one on hand. If I need a second, I can run out.

Any questions/comments/concerns/witty commentary?

(@ScottBrownstein, you put me onto these a while back. Hopefully you see this post. p.s. your private messages are full.)
Old 09-23-2019, 05:19 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I'm prepping for 2 weeks of boondocking. I just placed the order for two of the [url=https://www.amazon.com/Xantrex-8080915-PROwatt-Transfer-Switch/dp/]Xantrex 15amp Auto Transfer switches on Amazon. I was going to go for the KISAE one, but the price on the Xantrex is just too cheap.

I have a junction box already and I have cable clamps on hand.

I'd like to install 1 each for 2 different circuits.

Here's how I plan on proceeding:
  1. For the circuit breaker in question, disconnect hot, neutral, and ground wires that go to the circuit breaker/distribution panel
  2. Connect these to the AC Output to Load on the ATS (inside the junction box)
  3. Connect the AC Input 2 on the ATS to the circuit breaker where I disconnected them from the circuit breaker/distribution panel
  4. Connect an extension cord for AC Input 1 on the ATS that is plugged into the inverter

My first question, am I understanding this correctly?

My only concern is the length of the leads on the ATS having enough reach to make it back to/from the circuit breaker/distribution panel. If that's the case, I guess inside of the junction box, I'll run new 12/2 wire.

And lastly, 1 junction box or two? I only ask because I'm lazy and have one on hand. If I need a second, I can run out.

Any questions/comments/concerns/witty commentary?

(@ScottBrownstein, you put me onto these a while back. Hopefully you see this post. p.s. your private messages are full.)
You got it. depends on how big the junction box is and the code for #12 wire count. You only need one if it is too small. You need a junction box anyway for the connections between the ATS and the load anyway. Put them all in the same box.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 05:21 PM   #3
Always Learning

I think I said wrong. For 15amps, I only need 14/2 wire, not 12/2.

I had 12 on the brain from a 20amp outlet I just installed.
Old 09-23-2019, 05:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I think I said wrong. For 15amps, I only need 14/2 wire, not 12/2.

I had 12 on the brain from a 20amp outlet I just installed.
Yep, as long as the breaker is 15 amps, 14 is fine,

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 05:27 PM   #5
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
Yep, as long as the breaker is 15 amps, 14 is fine,
They are.
Old 09-29-2019, 01:21 AM   #6
Always Learning

Alright, it was ugly but we got it installed. There just wasn't much room or solid walls behind my distribution panel to put the pair of Xantrex transfer relays and gang boxes. We opted for 2 individual gang boxes.

Pretty impressive seeing these switch. Fan barely slows down, lights flicker, and my wife's diffuser stayed on. I hope to not have much of a load on these in practice, but we'll see how it actually goes.

But it's going to be super convenient for boondocking. Generator on when I need to recharge batteries, run A/C, or microwave. When the generator is off, a majority of our outlets will work!

Now, I just have to train the kids and my in-laws that just because the outlets work, doesn't men we can run everything under the sun! At the last fiesta, I learned they were running the toaster and ice machine.

Tags
switch, transfer switch