Old 09-18-2012, 08:50 AM   #11

I downloaded the manual. I didn't see any reference to needing to ramp up the generator before putting a full load on it but it makes sense. On my Champion 2000w I need to turn off eco mode before using the microwave and hot water heater at the same time.

The EF2400is does not have an eco switch. Only way I know of to get it out of eco mode is as stated above.

I'll report back after I run Seafoam through it. Thanks.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:25 AM   #12
Site Team - Lou

Oh! My Yamaha EF3000iSEB has an ECO switch and a warning in the manual about high loads applied while idling.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:28 PM   #13

Amazon.com: Yamaha EF2400iS 2,400 Watt 171cc OHV 4-Stroke Gas Powered Portable Inverter Generator (CARB Compliant): Patio, Lawn & Garden

Is this the one you have? Doesn't have an ECO switch, but does describe the "smart throttle" that varies to the load.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:41 PM   #14

I have an ef2400i also. what you described is spot on to what used to happen to me. my cure, 1 is to always use sea-foam in my gas. that alone made a big difference when I couldn't get alcohol free gas. 2 when you have to use the genny for a/c first make sure any side loads like electric h2o heater or fridge are on propane. then turn a/c fan to ON followed by turning on the a/c to cool. this in effect, ramps the genny up prior to a/c compressor kicking on. you could put the delay timer in the system, but I never had to.

BTW, those parasitic loads won't necessarily ramp up the genny from idle. I've been using my Yammy for about 5 years now without trouble.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:45 PM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPAspey
I have an ef2400i also. what you described is spot on to what used to happen to me. my cure, 1 is to always use sea-foam in my gas. that alone made a big difference when I couldn't get alcohol free gas. 2 when you have to use the genny for a/c first make sure any side loads like electric h2o heater or fridge are on propane. then turn a/c fan to ON followed by turning on the a/c to cool. this in effect, ramps the genny up prior to a/c compressor kicking on. you could put the delay timer in the system, but I never had to.

BTW, those parasitic loads won't necessarily ramp up the genny from idle. I've been using my Yammy for about 5 years now without trouble.
You must not use the auto function on your a/c then ?
So you leave your fan on 24/7 ?
Old 09-18-2012, 09:16 PM   #16

no, not on 24/7. it seems that once the camper is cooled down it can run as normal. but we rarely need to run the a/c for a long time.. as in an hour or so max.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:53 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
Amazon.com: Yamaha EF2400iS 2,400 Watt 171cc OHV 4-Stroke Gas Powered Portable Inverter Generator (CARB Compliant): Patio, Lawn & Garden

Is this the one you have? Doesn't have an ECO switch, but does describe the "smart throttle" that varies to the load.
Yes that is my model. I believe the smart throttle is having problems ramping up fast enough to handle a large load. I will see if seafoam helps.

I believe it has the factory jetting. I called the guy that sold it to me. He lives in Missouri and bought it from a guy in Minnesota.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:19 AM   #18

I have the newer version of the 2400. The auto throttle is a bit clumsy... Sometimes you are on the lip of needing it so it will hunt for the right rpm. Mine starts my a/c but I do need to run the fan for a while prior to starting the a/c. From your description the unit is running fine.

Have you changed the oil as well? Never know where it's been!
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:15 PM   #19

I ran a tank of seafoam through it and also sprayed carb cleaner on all the jets and the choke. It helped but didn't fix it. I found that if I apply a tiny bit of choke it runs great and will not surge. I adjusted the choke cable and now all is good. I need to do a final test on some gas without seafoam.

BTW I installed the hard start capacitor on my AC and now the 2400is will power it up just fine without having to ramp it up with the microwave first. I can even start the AC with the fridge running.

The 2400is does seem to hunt around a bit. Sometimes applying a small load will actually lower the RPMs. I will play with it without Seafoam next time I have my trailer in my driveway and report back.

Thanks for all the replies.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:47 PM   #20

Is there a website or how to book on generators and rv's? I have had salesmen tell me all kind of things related to finding the right generator for your camper. Our SP 240 is running a 13500 AC unit, with the water heater which I could run on LP so that just leaves the microwave and 12 volt lights But the Honda guy said I would need the 3000. What I am reading here is you are running a similar rig on a 2000. I dont mind spending the money for the right size, because that seems to me to be better than listening to a 2000 labor with a load. Confused.

(2011-42)
Cmmjmoore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Yamaha