Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2012, 07:04 AM   #21

Yes it can be confusing. Honda does not make an I between like Yamaha's 2400. If I had it to do over and 900 more dollars I would have gone with the Yamaha/Honda 3000. For me...I only have a few weekends in the year I camp without power...usually in October and April so the a/c is not usually necessary. The 2400 will run a modern 13.5a/c....you may need to add a capacitor. The 3ks will handle almost any thing with ease but not a combo of everything at once. For me I also looked at our loads at home I the event of a power outage and felt the 2400 gave me good power. Just my opinion.
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:32 AM   #22

I would rather have something a little too big than one that is right on the edge for capacity. The 3000 gives you a little buffer if you will. If you plan to camp at higher altitudes ever, they get de-rated fairly quickly. I have had the Yamaha 2400 and it is a very nice generator. That being said, I now have a Honda 3000. It isn't working as hard as the Yamaha was for the same loads.

Nights camped 2012 - 35
Nights camped 2013 - 46
rkswyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:43 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkswyo
I would rather have something a little too big than one that is right on the edge for capacity. The 3000 gives you a little buffer if you will. If you plan to camp at higher altitudes ever, they get de-rated fairly quickly. I have had the Yamaha 2400 and it is a very nice generator. That being said, I now have a Honda 3000. It isn't working as hard as the Yamaha was for the same loads.
I guess the biggest problem with the 3000 is how to keep it from getting stolen. One guy on the r-pod nation noted that they got hot one night and went out side to check the generator and someone had cut the chain and stolen the generator. I alway thought campers were a cut above the rest of the world.
(2011-42)
Cmmjmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:52 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmmjmoore View Post
I guess the biggest problem with the 3000 is how to keep it from getting stolen. One guy on the r-pod nation noted that they got hot one night and went out side to check the generator and someone had cut the chain and stolen the generator. I alway thought campers were a cut above the rest of the world.

I lock mine up with a Toylock cable. Normally where I camp here in Wyoming there is no one within many miles of me. I am a fairly light sleeper and the guard dog sleeping at my feet even more so! Then there are my friends Smith and Wesson! I guess they can all walk off if someone is determined enough. I take all the precautions I can to keep that from happening.

Nights camped 2012 - 35
Nights camped 2013 - 46
rkswyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:30 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmmjmoore

The other problem is that the 3000 is pretty heavy for a person to lift and move or carry. The 2400 is just manageable. The 2400 forces you to choose between AC or MW. But that is okay by me.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:43 PM   #26

Cmmjmoore, I would not think that campers took your generator, just someone riding around looking for something of value to take. IMO
1jeb289 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Yamaha