Old 09-17-2012, 10:31 PM   #1

Yamaha EF2400IS problem

I bought a lightly used EF2400IS (it is the IS model not the latest ISHC model) on Craigslist today. According to the seller it only has about five hours on it. It looks new and fires right up. However, it does surge and takes a while to ramp up when it is put under load. I need to run seafoam through it and/or spray the jets with Carb cleaner. He said it has sat in his garage for about four years with no fuel in it.

The unit will go into protect mode when I turn on the 13.5 AC unit on my Gray Wolf 19rr. The interesting thing is if I have the fridge running on electric (which ramps up the rpms on the Yamaha) and then turn on the AC unit, the AC will start and then run just fine. I believe this is related to the gummed up carb or jets but thought I would ask here.

The microwave alone seems to tax the generator for about ten seconds. I don't have any experience with these Yamaha generators but I suspect it should ramp up immediately without surging or hesitation.

Thank for any suggestions.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:42 PM   #2

A couple of things. I would check the spark plug. Is it jetted for your altitude? I ran the seafoam in mine and it cleared it right up.

Nights camped 2012 - 35
Nights camped 2013 - 46
rkswyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkswyo View Post
A couple of things. I would check the spark plug. Is it jetted for your altitude? I ran the seafoam in mine and it cleared it right up.
How can I tell if it is jetted for my altitude? I am the third owner.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:27 PM   #4

You would have to pull the jet out to see what orifice number is on it. It is not a big deal to change it out. Unfortunately I don't know what number corresponds to the altitude you are at. I can tell you it makes a difference and is well worth making sure it is right. You may contact the folks at Wise Sales, they are real nice and very helpful.

Nights camped 2012 - 35
Nights camped 2013 - 46
rkswyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:42 PM   #5

Thanks. I call the guy who sold it to me. It came with a used trailer he bought. He should know if guy was local or lived at elevation.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:49 PM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammick View Post
I bought a lightly used EF2400IS (it is the IS model not the latest ISHC model) on Craigslist today. According to the seller it only has about five hours on it. It looks new and fires right up. However, it does surge and takes a while to ramp up when it is put under load. I need to run seafoam through it and/or spray the jets with Carb cleaner. He said it has sat in his garage for about four years with no fuel in it.

The unit will go into protect mode when I turn on the 13.5 AC unit on my Gray Wolf 19rr. The interesting thing is if I have the fridge running on electric (which ramps up the rpms on the Yamaha) and then turn on the AC unit, the AC will start and then run just fine. I believe this is related to the gummed up carb or jets but thought I would ask here.

The microwave alone seems to tax the generator for about ten seconds. I don't have any experience with these Yamaha generators but I suspect it should ramp up immediately without surging or hesitation.

Thank for any suggestions.
There is nothing wrong with your Yamaha. What you are experiencing is very normal. If he gave you the manual, you will see that it is required to have the generator in "Normal" and not "Economy" when using inductive loads like the air conditioner or microwave.

Turning on a 120VAC light bulb or anything AC will ramp up the generator out of economy and prevent the load from pulling the generator into alarm before it can produce enough juice to spin up the air conditioner compressor.

Installing a delay relay in the fan circuit will cut the amps required during start up by a large factor and may allow the generator to get up to speed before the fan kicks in.
air conditioner for generator mod

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:55 PM   #7

I would definatly clean the carb . Make sure both the pilot jet and the main jet are clean. Something very small will clog the pilot jet and that will make it labor from low RPM
Old 09-18-2012, 12:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
There is nothing wrong with your Yamaha. What you are experiencing is very normal. If he gave you the manual, you will see that it is required to have the generator in "Normal" and not "Economy" when using inductive loads like the air conditioner or microwave.

Turning on a 120VAC light bulb or anything AC will ramp up the generator out of economy and prevent the load from pulling the generator into alarm before it can produce enough juice to spin up the air conditioner compressor.

Installing a delay relay in the fan circuit will cut the amps required during start up by a large factor and may allow the generator to get up to speed before the fan kicks in.
air conditioner for generator mod
Great point. I don't have the manual. I check Yammy's site and see if I can download it.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:11 AM   #9
Wanna Be Camper

Herk is right about eco mode, even the EU series Hondas work that way. Shut off eco mode and all should be fine. Although Seafoam is a good idea, I run it through all my engines every year or so.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
Days Camped 2016: 3 2017: 0
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:23 AM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

A/c mod that herk linked to works very well.

Turbs

Tags
Yamaha