Old 02-04-2015, 01:01 PM   #11

My solar panels are on 20 foot wires so i can park the trailer in the shade but set the panels up in the sun.

Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe
2 Mtn. Bikes
4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 01:43 PM   #12
Site Team

Interesting statement from ZAMP website:

Average RVíer who do extended weekend dry camping use roughly 30 to 40 amps a day.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 02:04 PM   #13

I am pretty versed in the subject of solar power and use it on my house right now. The Zamp plugs are virtually identical to the Northern Tool 15 watt amorphous panels so you should be able to use the cheaper Northern Tool panels. I had 4 of these for a few years and they performed great. The do especially well if you are not in direct sun.
Old 02-08-2015, 06:27 PM   #14

Thumbs up Thanks to all

The response has been really helpful. The price of the Zamp seems much higher than other brands. Its good to know that other brands could have the same connection. I understand they may not have the controllers built in but the price of connectors are not bad as an add on. We are making a trip from Ohio to Alaska and return by way of San Diego. Looks like we will be gone all summer and will do some dry docking to save money. Taking a motorcycle with us for some extra sightseeing.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:43 PM   #15

Purchased a '15 rockwood 2514G which is "pre-wired" for Z-amp system. Renogy makes a 100w foldable solar suitcase with charge controller mounted onto the panels like Z-amp but Renogy unit has battery spring type clamps and not the 2-prong connector to plug into the side of the camper. Could I change the clamps to this connector?
Old 02-17-2015, 07:13 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61cubby View Post
Purchased a '15 rockwood 2514G which is "pre-wired" for Z-amp system. Renogy makes a 100w foldable solar suitcase with charge controller mounted onto the panels like Z-amp but Renogy unit has battery spring type clamps and not the 2-prong connector to plug into the side of the camper. Could I change the clamps to this connector?
All solar panels just have two wires, a positive and a negative. As long as you get the polarity right you should be able to splice in any kind of connector and it will work. There is not a huge amount of voltage going through a couple of panels so the danger of getting it backwards is not very large at all.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:29 PM   #17

Solar on the cheap..

Ebay is my friend!

I found a folding 100 watt panel for $99.00, sans regulator, and added a Power Point Tracking regulator for 35 bucks. Since I had saved a few dollars, I figured I should look for an inverter for the wifey's microwave, hair dryer, etc..I found a 3KW modified sine wave unit with a 6KW surge rating for $145.00.... ALL of it brand new and shiny!

Instead of using my Zamp plug on the side of the trailer, with unknown wire gauge hidden away, I decided to save wire length and lessen voltage drop by wiring my solar into a 7 pin trailer socket instead..My plug showed pin #1 as ground, and pin #4 as DC+ . BUT..Check yours first!

By plugging into the trailer umbilical, I don't have to drag my solar leads under the rig and I can move the panels from East to West just by turning them. The Zamp plug is really an unnecessary doo-dad in my view, and it might be just a way for Forest river to get a kickback when a Zamp system is sold??

Don't get me started on the new FR water filters!!
Old 03-23-2017, 10:31 PM   #18

A heads up on the inverter. Most microwaves do not like modified sine wave, they will not function properly.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 230 AH Battery Bank - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting - Boon Docking 99% of the time.
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre - Tow Package
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 02:24 PM   #19

Thanks, Boondocking! I appreciate your reply..

I am a retired Master Electrician with a degree in electronics. I forgot to mention that I had previously added a 30A AC line filter ahead of my AC mains input on my old trailer for my small inverter and gen set usage...(Wifey hates the 4KW gen noise and stink!) Since I only have a 30 amp 120v service on my new Shamrock, all is well.

I found out on my previous Roo TT that my microwave growled like an angry bear without that filter..It ran hot and took longer to cook, and the clock ran too fast even when no food was being heated ....I'm sure that microwave wasn't happy! Looking at the nasty modified sine waveform output on an oscilloscope, i knew that a filter might be of some help..

it really did help..Not a perfect sine wave, but close enough to make my microwave work a LOT better..The filter took out a lot of the spikes and dips and smoothed out the waveform to something much closer to a normal sine wave.

Again, that line filter was an older Ebay purchase, for under 40 bucks as i recall..I took it out when I traded off my Roo for the "Rock" and bought a bigger inverter to keep my bride happy! We can even run the AC and microwave from the inverter at the same time now!

With the filter wired ahead of the main breaker, all of the trailer outlets have the benefit of the noise filter when on shore power too.

What is the saying?? A happy wife makes a happy life??
Old 03-28-2017, 08:55 AM   #20
Bubblehead Elite Rank

Zamp is a joke.
Mine came with the side port. I thought "cool...plug and play"....uh...NOT.
You have to buy a solar controller OR a high cost "plug and play" set from Zamp.
Would this allow me to power my trailer (some)...Nope....the wire hidden by the port is the smaller 'extension' cable' size only used for maintaining (trickle charging) the battery.
Luckily someone had given me a un-used 20watt Zamp panel so all I had to buy is one of their overpriced solar controllers (which using several cheat codes and secret handshakes) I got a 10 am outdoor rated one for 'only' $70.
TO top it off contacting their customer service was a joke. I sent 4 emails basically asking if I could use this or that to, how do I access the port wiring..basic questions. I usually got "no" thanks for emailing <eye roll>. OR..I was given a shopping list of items I would need to buy from them to make it work with their panels. This was over the last couple of weeks but I've got it running and charging...which I will say...it does very well and the controller is deceptively simple for all it can do.
Still...there's a couple of other manufacturers eating their lunch (cost and support). I also just saw a new travel trailer with a different brand's "Side Port" installed...not Zamp.
Jay

Tags
solar