Old 05-22-2014, 04:58 PM   #1

Z AMP solar panel plug in

On the side of trailer is a connection for a solar panel it says warning use only Z AMP panel but the 2 prong plug looks like the same thing on other brands of solar panels does anyone have info they could on this.

Old 02-01-2015, 02:57 PM   #2

I know this is an old thread but wondered if anyone has experience using a different brand of solar panel

Old 02-01-2015, 03:21 PM   #3

I finally went with an N power solar panel from Northern Tool it is mainly just a maintainer. All I can say is no one could or would answer that question from Northern Tool or this forum, Z Amp I couldn't find a website that took questions I didn't try Forest River itself also hard to find a Q & A for me anyway. I guess bottom line it plugged in fine and nothing has blown up and its maintaining 2 batteries.
Old 02-01-2015, 04:49 PM   #4

Solar Ready RV Solar Kits - Zamp Solar
Old 02-03-2015, 10:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gellis1 View Post
I finally went with an N power solar panel from Northern Tool it is mainly just a maintainer. All I can say is no one could or would answer that question from Northern Tool or this forum, Z Amp I couldn't find a website that took questions I didn't try Forest River itself also hard to find a Q & A for me anyway. I guess bottom line it plugged in fine and nothing has blown up and its maintaining 2 batteries.
Does the N Power setup include a charge controller? The Zamp systems have a charge controller built into the panels, which prevents your battery from over-charging. I would think that would be the main concern if the other brand fits the Zamp plug on the camper.

2017 F-250
2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 01:28 PM   #6

It does not I was hoping the electrical system had something to control that the size panel I got doesn't put much charge on anyway I put in a battery charge gauge on it so I do watch that.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gellis1 View Post
It does not I was hoping the electrical system had something to control that the size panel I got doesn't put much charge on anyway I put in a battery charge gauge on it so I do watch that.
For just a small panel to serve as a "maintainer" you are probably fine. If you go with bigger panels its worth adding the controller.

The solar prep package from the factory is really just wiring. Would have been nice if that came out before we bought ours. Pulling wiring for our solar setup was a fairly involved task and is something much more easily done at the factory while the rest of the wiring is being pulled. I'm glad to see FR started doing this. I think its a good compromise between adding features and keeping cost down. Saves a lot of hassle if the owner wants solar and doesn't add much cost if the owner doesn't need solar.

2017 F-250
2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 11:52 AM   #8

I also got a little sticker shock with the Zamp products
Old 02-04-2015, 12:24 PM   #9

anyone know if you can rent these anywhere?
Old 02-04-2015, 12:50 PM   #10

FR installed it in my 2015 unit. I am not sure if I am going to buy the panels. I prefer camping in the trees under the shade so the panels would not be as effective. DW likes the private campgrounds with shore power.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar