Old 07-08-2016, 07:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmor View Post
Can you describe how the zamp plug is used like this in laymans terms? Also what connector is used, and how. A pic would be great too!
The Zamp plug is simply a connector on the side of the camper that is pre-wired directly to the battery which allows you to connect solar panels to the battery without having to access the battery compartment.
It is nothing more than a convenient 12v connection to your battery.

With the use of something that mates to the existing Zamp plug, you can easily use the port to charge (or power) things since it is directly connected to the on-board battery.

TST Tire Monitor - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
Nights Camped: '15 = 22'16 = 46
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 07:36 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
The Zamp plug is simply a connector on the side of the camper that is pre-wired directly to the battery which allows you to connect solar panels to the battery without having to access the battery compartment.
It is nothing more than a convenient 12v connection to your battery.

With the use of something that mates to the existing Zamp plug, you can easily use the port to charge (or power) things since it is directly connected to the on-board battery.

Thanks!

Old 07-08-2016, 09:09 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmor View Post
Can you describe how the zamp plug is used like this in laymans terms? Also what connector is used, and how. A pic would be great too!
The zamp plug is just the connector with 2 wires going directly to the battery. Do a search on my name...I have posts and pictures.
Old 07-13-2016, 01:00 AM   #14
Learning a lot as I go...

Ditto on the Zamp connector: merely a flat two connector which you can find in the trailer section of many auto parts stores like Autozone.

The wiring behind (on my 2604WS anyways) consists of a ground wire to the frame and a 14 gauge wire run directly to the battery side of the cut-off switch.

Note there is NO fuse nor circuit breaker on this wire so the whole wire is one big short hazzard :-p I just ripped mine out and replaced with properly fused 12 gauge wires into a "round 4" jack. Connector and wires capable of handling higher currents than the Zamp stuff.
Old 08-05-2016, 03:35 PM   #15

I decided to bypass the zamp plug altogether. I purchased a Renogy starter kit with one 100 watt panel and put the controller inside one of the storage compartments. Controller is permanently wired to two new 6 volt golf cart batteries which are wired in series for 12 volt system. As long as I can get 3 - 4 hours of sunlight on the panel a day it will bring my batteries to full charge again. We do a lot of boondocking and are pleased with the setup. I'll probably eventually use the zamp plug for some external lighting.

Tags
solar, wiring