Old 05-07-2016, 09:05 AM   #1

Zamp Solar pre-wiring question

I have a new Rockwood 2504s which is pre-wired for one of the Zamp solar panel kits. The only visible component to this is the externally mounted plug and I'm wondering what might be already installed if anything between this plug and the battery besides a couple of wires. Are there any other components related to the charging system? i.e. fuses, charge controller, etc.

Old 05-07-2016, 08:50 PM   #2

No charge controller. Two wires which on ours does not go directly to the battery, goes to the junction box first and will not charge unless battery switch is on so no good for using as a tender. No visible fuses.

Ours was also wired opposite of a standard two prong plug from our existing portable solar combo but so was our exhaust fan lol.

Old 05-07-2016, 10:59 PM   #3

Correct. The Zamp plug is wired reverse polarity. I wired my Renogy directly to the battery with the controller in a front storage compartment. Haven't figured out a use for the Zamp plug yet. Maybe I'll plug my 12V Christmas decorations into it next Winter.
Old 05-08-2016, 02:52 PM   #4

Thanks for the input, I've been looking at the Renogy and would also make a direct battery connection.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:52 AM   #5

I too have a Renogy solar suitcase solar panel set. I use the Zamp wiring. It is very convenient. I think Zamp purposely wires their setup opposite the usual polarity so they can put on the sticker that says you must use Zamp only. The solution is simple. The output cable from the Renogy can simply be connected to the controller in reverse polarity - you have to connect it via screw terminals out of the box anyway, then it will work normally when connected to the Zamp wiring. The Zamp connector is a standard SAE connector, same as comes with the Renogy product.
Old 05-09-2016, 02:25 PM   #6

zamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TsnTexas View Post
I have a new Rockwood 2504s which is pre-wired for one of the Zamp solar panel kits. The only visible component to this is the externally mounted plug and I'm wondering what might be already installed if anything between this plug and the battery besides a couple of wires. Are there any other components related to the charging system? i.e. fuses, charge controller, etc.
Have a Zamp on my Sunseeker
This goes direct to the battery / same as if you connected an outside source with clips .
I did not buy a Zamp but connected to color panels for battery maintenance no issues
Old 05-09-2016, 03:29 PM   #7
Some guy in back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterrick View Post
I too have a Renogy solar suitcase solar panel set. I use the Zamp wiring. It is very convenient. I think Zamp purposely wires their setup opposite the usual polarity so they can put on the sticker that says you must use Zamp only. The solution is simple. The output cable from the Renogy can simply be connected to the controller in reverse polarity - you have to connect it via screw terminals out of the box anyway, then it will work normally when connected to the Zamp wiring. The Zamp connector is a standard SAE connector, same as comes with the Renogy product.
On the connector, could be, but it might also be that they did not want an end user to have an exposed pin (from a large panel) carrying 12+ volts, ready to short and cause bigger problems...

So, marketing and safety at the same time!
'16 Rockwood 8329SS
ChateauV10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 11:22 AM   #8

I use my zamp plug as an outdoor charging station for my phone or whatever, works great!
I put solar on the roof running through a controller inside (I installed) way better and cheaper then zamp.
1993 Jeep Wrangler YJ IL6 4.0 lifted (love it)

Happy Trails All!!
roaddiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 05:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by roaddiva View Post
I use my zamp plug as an outdoor charging station for my phone or whatever, works great!
I put solar on the roof running through a controller inside (I installed) way better and cheaper then zamp.
Can you describe how the zamp plug is used like this in laymans terms? Also what connector is used, and how. A pic would be great too!
Old 07-08-2016, 07:04 AM   #10
Sky&Scuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChateauV10 View Post
On the connector, could be, but it might also be that they did not want an end user to have an exposed pin (from a large panel) carrying 12+ volts, ready to short and cause bigger problems...

So, marketing and safety at the same time!
Buy your own connector and set the solar panels like you want with a charge controller.

2 Pins Power Industrial Connectors Waterproof IP67 Male Plug Bayonet Connection | eBay

I ordered on already.

Tags
solar, wiring