Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2017, 02:39 AM   #1

2 year old tires

Just wondering what other's thoughts were: My wife and I just purchased a 2018 Cherokee 274 DBH. After doing my initial walk around before we purchased the TT I checked the tire codes. 3715 on 3 of them and 3815 on the 4th. I brought it up to the dealership that I felt it was unacceptable to have 2 year old tires on a brand new camper. They were not willing to work with me on that issue saying new tires would cost $800 which I know is not true and suggested that I contact Forest River directly and complain to them. They also said to be firm and slightly aggressive with them to increase my chances of having better results. Per their warranty department at the dealership the tires are covered for 5k miles but they are the typical China bombs. I take delivery next Tueday of the TT but now I wonder if A) I could get an answer from Forest River before I take delivery or B) If I should try to drop the extra money now and just upgrade the tires to Goodyears. We will only be getting out for 1 roughly 300 mile trip with it before it gets winterized until next year. I appreciate any of your guys and gals input since this is our first TT.
Bsens07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 02:46 AM   #2

Getting the Goodyear tires is a good idea but I think they are only around $100 each...his $800 quote is a ripoff. Good luck with your new camper.
modemem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 03:57 AM   #3
"On the road again"

The day after we took delivery on our Cardinal - I went to Discount Tire. They bought the "Marathons" from me and applied that to the new Goodyear Endurance. I didn't want to take a chance on going anywhere without better tires.

The Marathons are Goodyear too - but made in China. Endurance are made in the US and so far have been excellent.

As for contacting Forest River - it sure can't hurt. But, they're likely to simply replace with other China Bombs. In order to not delay the delivery, you may be better off simply biting the bullet and buying new Goodyear Endurance.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 05:28 AM   #4

The Goodyear endurance tires cost around $100-200 each depending on size. I priced the Goodyear G614 and they were around $300 each.

Two year old tires should be ok for a couple of years but sad to be on a new trailer. But you have to watch some of the tire dealers as well.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 05:38 AM   #5

I'm just curious.
How many people checked the date code on the tires of the car or truck when they purchased it ?
We've racked up 2500 on our 2018 equipped with the "China Bombs"...no incidents.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 06:21 AM   #6
"On the road again"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
I'm just curious.
How many people checked the date code on the tires of the car or truck when they purchased it ?
We've racked up 2500 on our 2018 equipped with the "China Bombs"...no incidents.
I do - and it's always been within 3 months of the date of manufacture. Evidently Ford keeps a fresher stock of tires than Forest River based on the experience of the OP.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Old 08-16-2017, 01:47 PM   #7

New Tires

After a blowout at 1,200 miles, and the resultant over $7,000 repair job, I spent about $500 and threw away the junk tires that came with my Wildwood. I didn't bother going back to Forest River or the tire manufacturer. They don't listen.
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 01:55 PM   #8

unrelated, but are you getting a spare tire in the deal? spares are often an OPTION...

consider driving off the lot and the rest of the year on the delivered tires, then next spring jump into some new Endurance tires... you may want to go up a load rating depending on what you have and what you may think you need on the new trailer... some here have sold the take-offs on craigslist

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 02:14 PM   #9

Discount Tire has a $70 rebate on the Endurance(4 ea) right now. You could spend the ~$250 on a TPMS now and you will have it next year when you upgrade...you need it anyway.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 02:33 PM   #10

I doubt you will have any success with FR. The tires have a warranty, usually thru the tire supplier and FR has nothing in the game once the unit is built. It would cost them money to give you newer tires. The dealer is trying to mis-direct you. He doesn't want to give up profits on the deal. I'd be more likely to price the exact tires I want and tell the dealer to reduce the trailer price by either 100% or 50% of that amount, or cut you a check, or they can change out the tires before you take delivery.

My unit sat on the dealer's lot for 16 months and I thought the tires would last for the first trip. Then I would replace them with LT tires. Wrong, blew one 80 miles from home. New Yokohama 16" LT tires cost less than $800, so certainly the STs you want won't cost that much.
larrytbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 02:44 PM   #11

Insist on tires with a date code less than one year. Also? Pay extra for good tires, it will save a lot of grief when the cheap ones start blowing in six months or a year. Depending on brand tires are usually good for 7 to 10 years. I run Michelin XPS RIB, they are good for 10 years.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 03:38 PM   #12
Canadian Member

Bsens07 is buying 2018 Cherokee 274 DBH so G rated tires are not likely an option and I disagree with using light truck tires on a trailer.

Bsens07, my advice would be to try to deal with the dealer but it may not help. There is nothing in writing to prevent the manufacturer from putting "new, old stock" tires on the trailer and the dealer really has no obligation. If you don't get anywhere with the dealer then live with the OEM tires for your 300 mile trip this year. Would you be upgrading anyway if the tires weren't 2 years old?

In the Spring you can order new, better quality ST tires with a load rating one step up from the OEMs.

When I upgraded mine I ordered online from Discount Tire but they shipped tires over a year old so I insisted they find something newer. The best they'd do was about 9-10 months old. I recommend that you try to see the tires in a store before paying for them.

Good luck.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 04:40 PM   #13
MCTroy

We used the original tired for almost 2 sessions but only towed about 500 miles. No problems but always checked pressure and tried to tow during cool hours and not over 60 mph. We did replace the tires with a higher load rating. I would use what you have and start over on the spring. Why put on new tires top sit through the cold?Be careful and take a spare.
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 05:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
Bsens07 is buying 2018 Cherokee 274 DBH so G rated tires are not likely an option and I disagree with using light truck tires on a trailer.

Bsens07, my advice would be to try to deal with the dealer but it may not help. There is nothing in writing to prevent the manufacturer from putting "new, old stock" tires on the trailer and the dealer really has no obligation. If you don't get anywhere with the dealer then live with the OEM tires for your 300 mile trip this year. Would you be upgrading anyway if the tires weren't 2 years old?

In the Spring you can order new, better quality ST tires with a load rating one step up from the OEMs.

When I upgraded mine I ordered online from Discount Tire but they shipped tires over a year old so I insisted they find something newer. The best they'd do was about 9-10 months old. I recommend that you try to see the tires in a store before paying for them.

Good luck.
100% plan on upgrading. I have been looking at the Goodyear Endurance but not 100% sold on those yet. I think I will keep my eyes open, Goodyear currently has a $70 rebate if you buy 4 tires but they seem to have those rebates on a fairly normal basis.
Bsens07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 06:32 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telstar View Post
. Depending on brand tires are usually good for 7 to 10 years. I run Michelin XPS RIB, they are good for 10 years.
Reputable ST manufacturers now state on their web sites that the tires may need replacement in 3-5 years and owners should be prepared beginning at year 3. The others don't say anything. My Maxxis 8008 tires failed just over 3 yrs. That is why I use LTs.
Old 08-16-2017, 06:42 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
I disagree with using light truck tires on a trailer.
You could look at higher end brands like DRV that built their trailers with LTs.
Old 08-16-2017, 07:21 PM   #17

I would highly recommend changing the tires out immediately with G rated tires, don't run those things, its a better piece of mind with a TPMS....a good one like the tire Minder brand. this will save you a whole lot of heartache in the future.

2013 Forest River Salem/Sport Fifth WHL
2017 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax/Allison
Curt Q20 Fifth wheel, Champion Inverter3500
US Army Retired
Bikersarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 03:13 AM   #18

[QUOTE=Oaklevel;1595247]The Goodyear endurance tires cost around $100-200 each depending on size. I priced the Goodyear G614 and they were around $300 each.

Two year old tires should be ok for a couple of years but sad to be on a new trailer. But you have to watch some of the tire dealers as well.

First at my Discount Tire ( America's Tires here in California ) the Carlisle 15" Es are about $83 plus mounting and balance/ road hazard coverage while the Endurance are about $20 more.

But has anyone really compared the two side by side. Is either appreciably heavier, thicker or stiffer than the other AND JUST BECAUSE IT IS MADE IN USA, HOW DO WE KNOW THAT IT WILL LAST LONGER OR PERFORM BETTER THAN THE CARLISLE. With the EPA here the manufacturers have their hands tied on chemicals and processes. Just because CHEAP China Bombs are bad, means nothing since there are cheap tires made here as well.

What has everyone convinced that these Endurance tires will hold up when they have not been around in sufficient numbers or for sufficient time to HAVE ANY REAL EXPERIENCE OUT THERE.
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 03:24 AM   #19
"On the road again"

[QUOTE=Tom48;1596293]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post

What has everyone convinced that these Endurance tires will hold up when they have not been around in sufficient numbers or for sufficient time to HAVE ANY REAL EXPERIENCE OUT THERE.
I'm not "convinced" - but rather I'm hopeful, and thus far my hopes have been realized. I've had the China tires blow out and cause significant damage to my former trailer TWICE despite checking pressure before every day of towing.

Not many things are certain, but the wise will explore new options that hold promise. What's the definition of insanity...doing the same thing over and over expecting different results!!

To me, it's worth the investment or gamble - call it what you may. I know beyond any doubt that most of the China tires are destined for failure prematurely - so why not explore new realms to see if it's better. If not - so be it, but if it is better - then I'm ahead of the game.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Old 08-17-2017, 05:08 AM   #20

[QUOTE=rjshiflet;1596294]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom48 View Post

I'm not "convinced" - but rather I'm hopeful, and thus far my hopes have been realized. I've had the China tires blow out and cause significant damage to my former trailer TWICE despite checking pressure before every day of towing.

Not many things are certain, but the wise will explore new options that hold promise. What's the definition of insanity...doing the same thing over and over expecting different results!!

To me, it's worth the investment or gamble - call it what you may. I know beyond any doubt that most of the China tires are destined for failure prematurely - so why not explore new realms to see if it's better. If not - so be it, but if it is better - then I'm ahead of the game.
Please do not misunderstand I want to try the Goodyear Endurance as well but no one can prove to me (as yet) that all China made tires are China Bombs and will fail. You always hear about the failures of which most are road hazards or maintenance issues. We got 5- 6 years out of the Westlakes that came on the camper. And I have several other brands on the car hauler, and box trailers. I have 16 ST China tires on the ground currently and after 15 plus years of running ST China made have never had a flat or failure.

What I do think is the trailer manufacturers are running the axles and tires too close to capacity which allows for the users to overload the tires as well.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires