Old 06-21-2016, 10:51 PM   #1
2002 SunSeeker LE tire and mud flat too close? Occasional rubbing

My wife and I are excited new owners of a 2002 SunSeeker LE with 27K miles. We purchased it private sell and everything appears to work perfectly. We've had travel trailers before and one motor home as well, but didn't notice this issue (or potential issue) until after the purchase and some miles down the road.

I do have a concern that I noticed the first time I got out on the way home to just do a walk around. The driver side rear tires only clear the mud flap by 1-2 inches. I am talking about clearance between the backside and mud flap. Somewhere in the 2-2:30 location if it where a clock.

Behind the flap is one of the grey tanks and looking around I don't think it has shifted (that I can tell). I also do not believe the axle has shifted from anything I can see either.

It drove great all the way home. Doesn't pull left or right.

I do think it rubbed some on the way home as I can see that the black mud flap has a rub spot, and it appears a little bigger than the first time when I got out. So it isn't rubbing all the time, but if I put 4 more people and gear in it, I'm concerned that it may rub substantially more often.

The drive home was a little over 100 miles over 2 mountain passes. Some rough pavement here and there so definitely hit some bumps along the way, but nothing you wouldn't expect to experience during any drive.

Is this a problem for anyone else?
What is your clearance?
The passenger side doesn't have a problem because there isn't anything sitting right behind that tire's mud flap.

Any insight would be appreciated.

I can add a picture tomorrow if that will help.

travelmannn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 07:54 AM   #2
Picture Updates

I pulled the mud flap back as far as possible and it makes a little difference, but believe me when I say that it is already sitting right up against the tank behind it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160622_064531.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	241.6 KB
ID:	111773   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160622_064610.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	195.9 KB
ID:	111774  
travelmannn is offline   Reply With Quote

sunseeker, sunseeker le, tire