Old 05-12-2012, 11:10 PM   #1

Unhappy 2009 Rockwood freedom 190XR Brake wiring

Ok I am new to the forums so take it easy on me. JK. It was a tragic day today when I found out our dog had decided to rip the electric brake wiring from the camper. It is sad enough we don't get to use the PU enough then to have this happen.
From initial inspection I still have the green wires (brake magnets) coming out of the wheel hubs. I also found a rubber fuse holder on the ground though I don't know if that came from the brake wires or somewhere else. From the Champion Trailers wiring diagram that came with the PU it doesn't look like anything was fused on the camper side. Does anyone know if there is supposed to be a fuse on the electric brakes? Also I bought some low voltage stranded wire 16-2 (ground lighting) from Home Depot though I am not sure it is rated for the current draw the brakes will need. Any suggestions?
One last thing, the dog did pull the pin from the break away switch which I hope is not a one time use switch, anyone know about this.

Old 05-12-2012, 11:25 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

IMO I'd go with at least 12 ga
Just plug break away back in
No fuse on camper for trailer brakes
Just on controler

Old 05-12-2012, 11:25 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

By the way welcome to the forums!
Old 05-12-2012, 11:27 PM   #4

And if the dog was mine he'd be packing his bags.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:55 PM   #5

f1100turbo -Thanks for the quick replies. Believe it or not this is the first forum I have ever signed up on. Maybe this will inspire me to stay away from work more and spend a little more time outdoors. I will get the 12 AWG wire and just verify he didn't do anymore damage. The rubber fuse boot may have just come from the main power on the camper because that is missing the top of the fuse cover so I will need to replace that line to prevent future problems if it rains and shorts out.

LFugate - This was the last straw with him. He has cost me a bundle so far. I did help him pack his bags. We have a 1/3 acre property but oviously he needed more. He has a new home with lots of room to run and dig, and chew, and.......

Tags
brake wiring, brakes, wiring, electrical