Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2013, 07:47 PM   #1

2010 Brookstone 345SA suspension issues

Anyone experiencing issues with the suspension on the road side of the 5th wheel sagging and leaning to the left.
tneal901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:58 AM   #2
Incheon, S. Korea

Have you had the wheel loading weighed for each individual wheel?
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:25 AM   #3

Yes, I had it weighed and it was 4560lbs on the passenger side and 5880lbs on the drivers side?
Looks to me like it was a poor design. I have seen a couple other brookstone's with the same symptoms. I really don't have anything loaded on it. I spoke to a rep from Coachmen and he came short of saying there was a issue and that my problem was on "cosmetic" which I disagree with.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:18 AM   #4
Incheon, S. Korea

You'd think the slides would balance each side out. It almost sounds unsafe to me.

All the heavy stuff is on the driver's side. Very weird. I'd buy tires accordingly. What is the suspension system?

BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:48 AM   #5
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by tneal901 View Post
Yes, I had it weighed and it was 4560lbs on the passenger side and 5880lbs on the drivers side?
Looks to me like it was a poor design. I have seen a couple other brookstone's with the same symptoms. I really don't have anything loaded on it. I spoke to a rep from Coachmen and he came short of saying there was a issue and that my problem was on "cosmetic" which I disagree with.
Very few of us actually weigh individual wheels or even sides (I've yet to be at a CAT scale location that allows it, but I haven't been to many)- but I would believe that this is significantly more common than you'd think.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:20 AM   #6

I had mine weighed at the weigh station on the interstate (i am a LEO) so I had a connection
Old 11-14-2013, 11:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBaron View Post
You'd think the slides would balance each side out. It almost sounds unsafe to me.

All the heavy stuff is on the driver's side. Very weird. I'd buy tires accordingly. What is the suspension system?

Lippert 3500lb axles and springs just what came from the factory.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:44 AM   #8
Always Learning

Quote:
I really don't have anything loaded on it. I spoke to a rep from Coachmen and he came short of saying there was a issue and that my problem was on "cosmetic" which I disagree with.
Truthfully, it's not the first that I've seen/heard of and tend to agree that it's more "cosmetic" than anything.

(Sigh- this doesn't read at all like I want it to. There's no snottiness or sarcasm or negative meant to be implied with this.) What are you looking for in assistance/figuring out from us?
Old 11-14-2013, 12:04 PM   #9

The springs might be rated at 3500 pounds but your axles are probably rated 6000 pounds or higher.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Truthfully, it's not the first that I've seen/heard of and tend to agree that it's more "cosmetic" than anything.

(Sigh- this doesn't read at all like I want it to. There's no snottiness or sarcasm or negative meant to be implied with this.) What are you looking for in assistance/figuring out from us?
I would like for FR (Coachmen) to step up to the plate and confirm that there is a issue with this floorplan. I feel like I am not the only one with this issue. This has been an issue since I purchased the unit and my purchasing dealer (who is no longer in business) had started to address it but never could resolve it, but they changed the landing gear out thinking it was part of the problem, but it wasn't, it did have issues but it was not the reason for the leaning. Just want the company to help me get this corrected.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:40 PM   #11
Always Learning

Quote:
I would like for FR (Coachmen) to step up to the plate and confirm that there is a issue with this floorplan. I feel like I am not the only one with this issue. This has been an issue since I purchased the unit and my purchasing dealer (who is no longer in business) had started to address it but never could resolve it, but they changed the landing gear out thinking it was part of the problem, but it wasn't, it did have issues but it was not the reason for the leaning. Just want the company to help me get this corrected.
I hear you. First things first, these forums aren't actually affiliated with Forest River in any way. We're basically just a fan forum. There are a few factory reps that follow, but not for every FR brand.

To start- here's the factory warranty contacts for each brand (Coachmen should be included):
https://dealers.forestriverinc.com/D...nformation.pdf

They may possibly be able to help you get in contact with another authorized dealer to continue the troubleshooting with this.

Other than that- you've got a good subject line, so hopefully other Coachmen/Brookstone folks may come along and either confirm what you're seeing or say it's just you.

Good luck!
Old 11-14-2013, 02:43 PM   #12

Is the sag noticeable when driving on the road or does the fifth wheel only sag when at a campsite with the slides extended?

Do you have any photos you can post?

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:54 PM   #13

I have a Brookstone 366RE 2012. When I step in front of the couch on the edge of the slide out I get a metal beam sound. When I crawl under the slide outs I see wings that cantalever the floor of the trailer over the frame. Each of these wings has two bolt holes in them but no bolts. The floor does have four like three sixteenth of an inch screws into the wings under the propane tanks. I get the feeling I need some tie down straps over the top of the trailer. Any advice welcome.
Frank Harshfield is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, suspension