Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2018, 04:12 PM   #1

2013 surveyor 15-16 inch wheel conversion

Just bought a 2013 293 RL Surveyor 5th wheel and am considering changing to 16 inch wheels from the stock 15's. Has anyone else already done this with this particular RV? It doesn't look like there's enough room to me. The back of the rear tire is already very close to the slide out/fender skirt.
Deltacoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 03:38 PM   #2

Curious, what is your reason for changing.
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 07:33 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. It's a large 5th wheel and I'd like to be able to get a stronger tire on it. There are more options for 10 ply and LT tires with at least an E load rating in the 16inch size. I'd also like to drive faster than 65 occasionally!! Can't do that with a 15 inch trailer tire safely.
Deltacoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 08:13 PM   #4

This is a good upgrade. Might require little more then wheels and tires for proper fit. Would seriously consider 14 ply tires at a minimum 12 ply. Watch the Boar Tire video on YouTube. You will never want to use a 10 ply tires again.

Had a blow out on the road, found two other tires that were questionable, replaced with 14 ply Omni Cargo tires from that tire dealer, or would have installed The Boar wheels and tires.
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 05:33 PM   #5
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltacoman View Post
Just bought a 2013 293 RL Surveyor 5th wheel and am considering changing to 16 inch wheels from the stock 15's. Has anyone else already done this with this particular RV? It doesn't look like there's enough room to me. The back of the rear tire is already very close to the slide out/fender skirt.
Regardless of other opinions. having done it myself, it is the best decision you can make. The wheels should fit OK. Remember that you are reducing clearances by just half an inch so there should be ample clearance between wheels and under the chassis.

Now you can run proper light truck tires instead of the over-rated rubbish you get with the vehicle. I replaced my set after a tire exploded (and ripped out a bunch of wires, costing me $1000 in repairs before we could continue with our trip), because the wheels were not designed to handle the weight of the vehicle.

I also had to replace the springs later, because the originals flattened out after just 6 months on the road. Went from what we considered to be 3.5 ton springs (which on a 4 ton plus unloaded van is ridiculous) to 5.5 ton. Now we have no worries about the running gear on our 34' 28RLT.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 10:50 PM   #6
WaitnToRide

We own a 2012 292 RK 5th wheel Surveyor and did exactly what you are thinking of doing. We replaced the OEM rims with steel rims and purchased Firestone Transforce HT BL LT225/75R16 E. I had them install all metal valves so I could use the TPMS. The new tires are very close to the profile of the old tires. They way the factory installed the plastic side wheel well trim pieces were a little to close to the tires so I used some tin snips to trim them up a bit. Unless you get on your knees and look into the well you can't tell it was trimmed. We've been happy with the decision so far. The manager at the tire shop that did this for us told me he does it quite often and his customers have been happy with the results. Apparently he owns a trailer and did something similar.
Windspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 11:10 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltacoman View Post
I'd also like to drive faster than 65 occasionally!! Can't do that with a 15 inch trailer tire safely.
We just put a new set of Carlisle ST's on our Surveyor fifth wheel. They are 15" LR E and have a speed rating of 81 mph. LR E puts the tires' load capability far in excess of the weight for which our trailer is rated.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 11:31 PM   #8
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windspell View Post
We own a 2012 292 RK 5th wheel Surveyor and did exactly what you are thinking of doing. We replaced the OEM rims with steel rims and purchased Firestone Transforce HT BL LT225/75R16 E. I had them install all metal valves so I could use the TPMS. The new tires are very close to the profile of the old tires. They way the factory installed the plastic side wheel well trim pieces were a little to close to the tires so I used some tin snips to trim them up a bit. Unless you get on your knees and look into the well you can't tell it was trimmed. We've been happy with the decision so far. The manager at the tire shop that did this for us told me he does it quite often and his customers have been happy with the results. Apparently he owns a trailer and did something similar.
I am intrigued by the metal valve stems, how do they help with the TPMS?
I have a lot of trouble with the signals from these. I even have a wifi repeater on the back of the Chevy, which helps a bit.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:33 PM   #9
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
We just put a new set of Carlisle ST's on our Surveyor fifth wheel. They are 15" LR E and have a speed rating of 81 mph. LR E puts the tires' load capability far in excess of the weight for which our trailer is rated.
Because it be rare to be driving at those speeds (I think), for me it was more of pressure ratings. The original 15" 225/75 tires were rated at 60 psi. The new ones are 80 psi.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:00 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murbella7 View Post
I am intrigued by the metal valve stems, how do they help with the TPMS?
I have a lot of trouble with the signals from these. I even have a wifi repeater on the back of the Chevy, which helps a bit.
The metal valve stems are necessary to handle the weight of the TPMS sender. That weight may cause a "standard" valve stem to vibrate and perhaps ultimately fail.

What TPMS do you have? We have zero trouble with signal with our Truck System Technologies unit.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 08:39 AM   #11
WaitnToRide

[QUOTE=acadianbob;1709666]The metal valve stems are necessary to handle the weight of the TPMS sender. That weight may cause a "standard" valve stem to vibrate and perhaps ultimately fail.

x2
Windspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:44 PM   #12
Bene Gesserit Rule

[QUOTE=Windspell;1709767]
Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
The metal valve stems are necessary to handle the weight of the TPMS sender. That weight may cause a "standard" valve stem to vibrate and perhaps ultimately fail.

x2
That is interesting. My rubber stems don't seem to leak. But then again, how would I know, the stupid TPMS never gives me accurate data anyway.

Tags
2013, surveyor, wheel