Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2014, 09:42 PM   #1

35QB4 Dexter axle possible factory problem

We have a 2011 Silverback 35qb4. The biscuits on the Ez-Flex dexter equalizers are severely cracked. Enough so that the shackles are starting to hit the frame. The rubber puck, or biscuit looks like a dried up squished ball of play-doh.

The EZ-Flex number is 13-144. The axles are 7000 lbs. 29.5" Hanger spacing, and 33" wheel spacing. From everything I've dug up, it looks like 33" wheel spacing shouldn't have any larger than 6000 lb axles. The equalizers are offset as well, which I suspect is because of this. 7000 lb axles should have 35" spacing from axle center to center.

Going on a long haul this weekend, but nervous about pulling it like this. The springs look fine.

Anyone else run into this? I'm thinking Forest River may have messed up.

iqoair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:50 PM   #2
Plain Old Member

Haven't had any noticeable problems. Ours is in the shop now, so I can't go measure axle to axles, but I will when I get it back. Not sure if anything changed from 2011 to 2014. I do know I have the 7k Dexters and the EZ-Flex set up.

Do you have any pictures of the EZ-Flex issue you're having? Also curious if you've had it on a CAT scale yet?
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
Haven't had any noticeable problems. Ours is in the shop now, so I can't go measure axle to axles, but I will when I get it back. Not sure if anything changed from 2011 to 2014. I do know I have the 7k Dexters and the EZ-Flex set up.

Do you have any pictures of the EZ-Flex issue you're having? Also curious if you've had it on a CAT scale yet?
Had ours on a scale, truck and trailer loaded with 2 kids,wife, dog, no water was 22,500 Lbs. Pushing the limits of my SRW.

Thanks for checking yours, I'm curious. I guess I could go look at a new one, but I don't dare do that! I added a few pictures.

Old 08-19-2014, 10:53 PM   #4
Plain Old Member

Whoa, that doesn't look good at all. Trying to figure out why the EZ-Flex is tilted so far one way. Do your leaf springs still have a good arch to them? As in not flattened out?
Old 08-19-2014, 10:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
Whoa, that doesn't look good at all. Trying to figure out why the EZ-Flex is tilted so far one way. Do your leaf springs still have a good arch to them? As in not flattened out?
Leafs are fine. I'm assuming because the axle spacing isn't correct they are forced into that position, also putting more pressure on the rubber puck. The hangers should be 1" farther apart, that would center it. I'm no expert, but it seems logical.

Old 08-20-2014, 06:31 AM   #6
Plain Old Member

May be a shot in the dark, but might try giving Jeff Holmes at Cedar Creek a call at (260) 593-2598 or email at jholmes@firestriverinc.com. Hit and miss whether you'll get him, but I have had some success getting a few questions answered. He might be able to get that info on the axle spacing. In the meantime, maybe I'll get mine back in the next week to measure.

Another option is to call dexter directly and ask them what the axle spacing should be. Might have your axle model / serial numbers handy. Even though lippert built that frame, it should be to dexters specs on the spacing.

Sent by ME
Old 08-20-2014, 06:35 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by iqoair View Post
We have a 2011 Silverback 35qb4. The biscuits on the Ez-Flex dexter equalizers are severely cracked. Enough so that the shackles are starting to hit the frame. The rubber puck, or biscuit looks like a dried up squished ball of play-doh.

The EZ-Flex number is 13-144. The axles are 7000 lbs. 29.5" Hanger spacing, and 33" wheel spacing. From everything I've dug up, it looks like 33" wheel spacing shouldn't have any larger than 6000 lb axles. The equalizers are offset as well, which I suspect is because of this. 7000 lb axles should have 35" spacing from axle center to center.

Going on a long haul this weekend, but nervous about pulling it like this. The springs look fine.

Anyone else run into this? I'm thinking Forest River may have messed up.

was the equalizer tilted like this from new?

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
was the equalizer tilted like this from new?

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"

Good question, we picked it up used last summer. I checked Dexters spec sheet and it shows 35" wheel spacing as "optional". It has the 26" springs, everything is correct according to the specs.

I called Dexter and asked them about replacement Equalizers and they offered to send new ones dirt cheap ( $ 77 / pair ). If I was the original owner, they would have sent them for free. Good service. I'm impressed.

The more I look at the leaf springs, I'm thinking the front ones look sagged which is probably the source of my issue. I'm going to bring the trailer into the shop when we get back and see about getting new heavy duty leafs and replacing the equalizers. Not something I want to risk doing on my driveway.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:04 PM   #9

Our ATV trailer did that. It was a result of the equalizers being partially seized on the center bolt. The force of braking causes the axles to try to rotate which causes the equalizers to rotate. When the brakes are released the equalizers should move back to the neutral position. We had to replace the bushings(damaged from trying to remove the bolts).If you back up and brake, the equalizers may move to the opposite position and stick there.

09grizzly1
09grizzly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:25 PM   #10
Plain Old Member

iqoair, got our fifth wheel back today and measured from center to center of the axles. Not precise by any means, but a little less than 36".
Old 08-22-2014, 09:28 PM   #11

Thanks for checking. That's a big difference than mine. Bringing mine in soon, will get it all corrected. I don't expect it to be cheap.

Tags
35qb4, axle, factory