Old 07-17-2014, 10:32 PM   #1

5er landing gear questions

I have a 2010 Brookstone 360RL that is giving me problems. It doesn't want to lift the hitch pin high enough to engage my hitch. As I raise the camper, the motor begins slowing down (on shore power) and finally the gearbox begins chattering and it refuses to go any higher. I can attach the manual crank and with another person holding the extend switch I can raise it manually.

1. What locks the landing gear at any height?
2. Can I remove the motor and gearbox without fear of the legs retracting?
3. How can I identify the manufacturer of the landing gear, motor and gearbox?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Nick
WB4SQI

Old 07-17-2014, 10:40 PM   #2

Not sure if this will help or not, but we don't lower the camper onto the hitch. Simply get the hitch high enough and the back the truck into it. The truck will squat and the hitch engages.

QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:44 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

Sounds more like your battery(s) are gone. Before you mess with the motor, try putting a GOOD full charged battery on it. Don't rely on the converter or the batteries in the unit.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Sounds more like your battery(s) are gone. Before you mess with the motor, try putting a GOOD full charged battery on it. Don't rely on the converter or the batteries in the unit.
X2!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 06:54 AM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Are you at "end of travel"? This has happened to me before when I was parked on a slope.

The truck loaded allowed me to drop the adjustable part of the legs to the ground and disconnect, but I was very near the full extension of the motor driven part of the landing gear by the time I had enough weight off to disconnect.

When I went to hook up, I could not get enough altitude to back the truck into the hitch.

I had to use wooden blocks to support the frame so I could get more of the adjustable part down.

I extended the landing gear as far up as I could; blocked the frame on both sides and retracted the landing gear a foot or so; then dropped the legs again until they hit the ground. I re-pinned them; extended the landing gear to lift the frame off the supports and connected normally.

Now, when I am on a slope, I always plan ahead on how much "leg" to drop so I have full use of the motor driven part when I need to connect.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 06:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
X2!

Pretty sure he said he was on shore power. Batteries should not be an issue at that point.

At least they are not on my W&P.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:21 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
Are you at "end of travel"? This has happened to me before when I was parked on a slope.

The truck loaded allowed me to drop the adjustable part of the legs to the ground and disconnect, but I was very near the full extension of the motor driven part of the landing gear by the time I had enough weight off to disconnect.

When I went to hook up, I could not get enough altitude to back the truck into the hitch.

I had to use wooden blocks to support the frame so I could get more of the adjustable part down.

I extended the landing gear as far up as I could; blocked the frame on both sides and retracted the landing gear a foot or so; then dropped the legs again until they hit the ground. I re-pinned them; extended the landing gear to lift the frame off the supports and connected normally.

Now, when I am on a slope, I always plan ahead on how much "leg" to drop so I have full use of the motor driven part when I need to connect.
I concur!
Old 07-18-2014, 07:28 AM   #8
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by 036.6turbo View Post
Pretty sure he said he was on shore power. Batteries should not be an issue at that point.

At least they are not on my W&P.
The if the battery(s) are bad/dead, the landing jack motor will not receive enough power to work to full power off the converter alone. Disconnect your batteries and try it.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:02 AM   #9

Quote:
The if the battery(s) are bad/dead, the landing jack motor will not receive enough power to work to full power off the converter alone. Disconnect your batteries and try it.
X2 if the battery is dead land gear and slideouts will not work properly even if plugged in.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:40 AM   #10

I always extend my legs down about 4" or so depending on the spot, then drop the legs. My driveway slopes down so I learned that I need that 4" to level the unit off. If I just pull the pin there is noway to drop the unit front end to make it level. So I really now just do it all the time.

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5er