Old 09-20-2019, 04:41 PM   #1
GLCM Warrior

5th Wheel Front Wall

Hi,

The front wall (the wall under the overhang) of our Wildcat 5th wheel separated from the side wall on our recent trip to the Grand Mesa. I, at first, thought we might have been sideswiped while on the interstate but there was no real damage other than the 1-2 inch separation between the walls.

After arriving back home and having the opportunity to more thoroughly inspect the area, I found that four screws that hold the bottom of the front wall tight to the steel floor section of the front compartment had apparently vibrated loose over the years and fell out.

I reinstalled the screws, added an additional 4 more screws, removed and reinstalled the corner trim piece and re-caulked. I'll certainly be checking those screws at least annually from now on.

Just thought I'd post my experience as a caution to others. You may want to check your rig for a similar issue.

Lefty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 04:46 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty59 View Post
Hi,

The front wall (the wall under the overhang) of our Wildcat 5th wheel separated from the side wall on our recent trip to the Grand Mesa. I, at first, thought we might have been sideswiped while on the interstate but there was no real damage other than the 1-2 inch separation between the walls.

After arriving back home and having the opportunity to more thoroughly inspect the area, I found that four screws that hold the bottom of the front wall tight to the steel floor section of the front compartment had apparently vibrated loose over the years and fell out.

I reinstalled the screws, added an additional 4 more screws, removed and reinstalled the corner trim piece and re-caulked. I'll certainly be checking those screws at least annually from now on.

Just thought I'd post my experience as a caution to others. You may want to check your rig for a similar issue.

Can you post a photo of the area?

nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 05:10 PM   #3
GLCM Warrior

Picture of Wall Separation

Here's a pic of the wall separation. I didn't take a picture of the screws but they were along the front side (near the bottom) of the floor of the front cubby. The screws were accessible only from the inside of the cubby although when they were loose, I could see them from the underside of the 5th wheel. The screws went through the floor panel and into the aluminum frame member behind the gel coat and they hold the aluminum frame member to the steel floor of the cubby.

Note: Some of the black stuff in the picture is residue from the gorilla tape I used to try to hold the walls together until I got back home and could look it over more closely.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190917_135837514_HDR.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	345.9 KB
ID:	215439  
Old 09-20-2019, 05:59 PM   #4
GLCM Warrior

Note on Pic

The photo above was taken after I had reattached the front wall to the cubby floor and before I had reinstalled the trim piece...hence, why the detached wall isn't visible in the photo.
Old 09-21-2019, 03:12 PM   #5

I found the bottom of our slide wall had started coming loose. Some screws were corroded and broken. I doubled up the amount of screws and will keep a better on the walls overall.
1953 GMC 9314
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 06:49 AM   #6

Whenever I add/replace screws, I use stainless steel screws.

Rich

1999 21' Wildwood WDF21RK

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad cab, 5.7L Hemi, 4.10 gears.
rollscanardly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, wheel