Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2013, 12:04 PM   #1
Papi

5th Wheel Tripods - Benefits?

Not sure if this is best category to place this inquiry but I'll give it a shot.
What benefit does a tripod give me? I recently purchased a 36CKTS Cedar Creek with the six point hydraulic leveling system (Great by the way!) but I've been trying to understand what a tripod might do for me. I have no real sag or vibration issues but can see where a tripod may relieve some weight issues for the front area especially over extended periods (between uses). Convince me yea or nay. Any insights or ideas are appreciated.
now in same place.
Papicamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:10 PM   #2
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Howard View Post
Not sure if this is best category to place this inquiry but I'll give it a shot.
What benefit does a tripod give me? I recently purchased a 36CKTS Cedar Creek with the six point hydraulic leveling system (Great by the way!) but I've been trying to understand what a tripod might do for me. I have no real sag or vibration issues but can see where a tripod may relieve some weight issues for the front area especially over extended periods (between uses). Convince me yea or nay. Any insights or ideas are appreciated.
This topic has been discussed here before - do a search.

IMO they are not worth the hassle of setting them up and is just one more item to carry.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:14 PM   #3

If i am going to be someplace for more than a couple of days, i will set it up.
Along with the xchocks eliminates a lot of themotion. I think they help nd not all that much hassle to use them.
Camping nights 2013: 130
Camping nights 2014: 17
Dovetail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:45 PM   #4
Papi

Waiting for more replies

Dove & B47: Thanks. BTW, wasn't aware I could do a search but thanks for informing me. Read all about it! Will see if I get any more opinions but right now it's a draw. Other stabilizing stuff wouldn't be useful I don't believe. The hydraulic system actually lifts the wheels off the ground so they don't count any more...I'm sitting on six posts! We'll see what happens. Appreciate it...
now in same place.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:50 PM   #5
B47

Quote:
Dove & B47: Thanks. BTW, wasn't aware I could do a search but thanks for informing me. Read all about it! Will see if I get any more opinions but right now it's a draw. Other stabilizing stuff wouldn't be useful I don't believe. The hydraulic system actually lifts the wheels off the ground so they don't count any more...I'm sitting on six posts! We'll see what happens. Appreciate it...
You're welcomed - just go to the top of the page and type in tripod and hit search - you can goggle or search FRF.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:54 PM   #6

One would not help you because you have the leveling system. I use one and find that it helps with the fiver movement. My better half thought that ther was to much movement as we moved about, we are both big people.
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:05 PM   #7
Old Member

Send a message via Skype™ to mikey
Quote:
Bill, we have the same trailer & comparable options. We use the tripod when parked for more than a couple of days. Helps eliminate the lateral motion. Make sure your level-up system is mounted correctly. Ours was improperly installed by the manufacturer according to the company who designed Level-Up. Once we get that corrected I don't know it the tripod will be needed. I talked with a number of owners and the opinions were all over the map but one theme was constant, if using a washer/dryer it's definitely needed due to the vibrations felt during the numerous spin cycles.

Hope this helps, safe travels & enjoyable journeys!
Old 06-28-2013, 04:48 PM   #8
Papi

how do i know...

If the leveling system is mounted correctly? Seems to work fine even on auto mode. Thanks for hint about washer and dryer. We have those and I can understand about vibrations. But have to add that those are relatively quiet. I was surprised at the slow speeds, etc. Guess I'll buy one just in case. Tripod, that is. Camping world has bas on sale and it looks good for occasional use. Thanks!
now in same place.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:07 PM   #9

First 5'er

Not having used one before now, our Sunnybrook TT of course did not require one. With that said, this is our first 5'er, and when leveled up, even with my X chocks, we still get some bouncing when someone walks thru the coach in a hurry. Was told the TriPod King Pin support would help eliminate that condition. When we go to Goshen we plan to set it up there and try it out.
2012 Jeep Compass Limited
1985 S-10 One Owner:
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:43 PM   #10
Denver, CO

From an engineering standpoint the tripod can't work effectively for lateral movement, it doesn't have enough angle to be effective, the landing gear or leveling system does fine for the up and down. It is the side to side and front to back that needs help, and that is done ONLY by wheel chocks (rotochoks or xchocks) and landing gear stabilizers like Jack's, Winfield's, Hansen's. The extreme horizontal angle is what stops the side to side wiggling.

IMO
Old 07-09-2013, 10:01 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
From an engineering standpoint the tripod can't work effectively for lateral movement, it doesn't have enough angle to be effective, the landing gear or leveling system does fine for the up and down. It is the side to side and front to back that needs help, and that is done ONLY by wheel chocks (rotochoks or xchocks) and landing gear stabilizers like Jack's, Winfield's, Hansen's. The extreme horizontal angle is what stops the side to side wiggling.

IMO
X2
Old 07-09-2013, 10:08 PM   #12

The tripod actually does a very effective job of stopping the nose of the fifth wheel from moving from side to side. Coupled with wheel chocks and a good set of stabilizer jacks on the back of the camper, most motion can be eliminated.
I used to use one, but made a set of stabilizers for my front and rear jacks, so don't need it any longer. But the tripod was just as good at stabilizing the camper. I just didn't like bumping into it all the time.
As for taking weight off the front of the fifth, that wouldn't seem necessary considering the beating it takes going down the road.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:52 PM   #13
Mod free 5er

The tripod might add some stability, but the cross braces on the landing legs provide a much wider base and thus add more stability and by the fact that a large portion of the weight is on the legs and they are not subjected to sliding as a tripod and a bigger plus is they are self-storing.