Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2012, 05:43 PM   #1

6 Year Old GY Marathon Tires

Hi,

I've just become the proud owner of my first RV, a 2006 Surveyor SV264, which the original owner still had the original GY Marathon tires mounted on (ST205/75R14) and they are stamped Made In New Zealand. After reading through more than several threads on this forum I need some helpful comments.
1) Should I stay with the Load Range C tire or look for a Range D?
2) If I go with a Load Range D what would be the new tire size that I would need to make sure that dimensionally the tire stayed the same size since the clearances are already tight around the fender skirts
3) From what I can find on other threads none of the tire brands sound like they are any good. For every one person that said they liked Goodyear or Carlisle there were twice that many that said they had problems with those brands. Is there any concensus of which brand is actually better than the others? I checked with Consumer Reports and they don't rate RV tires.
I know I will be rolling the dice while I keep the original tires on since there is a concensus on this forum that a 6 year old tire is an accident waiting to happen but I would really appreciate someone pointing me in the right direction when it comes to me ordering the new set. Also I guess that the spare, although its' never touched the road, should be changed out too?
Stingingfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:53 PM   #2

I just put a set of Maxxis tires on my SV264 and love them. The trailer has never pulled better.
aujmr1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:05 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by aujmr1970 View Post
I just put a set of Maxxis tires on my SV264 and love them. The trailer has never pulled better.
It is just personal preference, I have run GY Marathons since 1976 on all of our trailers, both racecar trailers and rv trailers and have never had a problem. Others have, but considering the number of them on the road, you would expect some. I like GY because practically every town has a dealer and like I said, I've never had a problem with them. Also run GY on my trucks and cars since 1964.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:10 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Unless you are running the trailer near the GVWR, the C rated should be fine. I have the sister ship to the SV 264 (SV 263), and I have about 4800 lbs. on my axles. I have about a ton of payload to go before the axles and tires would be overloaded.

Going to a D rated tire will probably make the camper ride rougher.....not as much sidewall flex. I like walking into my camper without having stuff thrown around.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:53 PM   #5

If you are not seeing any strange wear patterns on the "C" rated tires that you have, I would replace them with the same size and rating Maxxis.
bob213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:43 AM   #6
Oklahoma Proud

I am begining to think that brand is less of an issue and Imho maybe instead of the 5 years that is the normal shelf life/ life span, on high risk trailers (easily tore up from a blowout, or single axles or close to tire weight rating) 2 -3 years may be a safer bet for replacement. I had 3 blowouts on a tri axle eqipment trailer on one 150 mile trip with good preasure, 3750lb 14ply tires with only about 17,000 (including trailer weight) but tires were about 3 years old. I just don't think tires are as good as they use to be. I honestly would probably put any brand on but I would only go about 3 years any more if I wanted to depend on them which sux as high as they are getting.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:08 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
I am begining to think that brand is less of an issue and Imho maybe instead of the 5 years that is the normal shelf life/ life span, on high risk trailers (easily tore up from a blowout, or single axles or close to tire weight rating) 2 -3 years may be a safer bet for replacement. I had 3 blowouts on a tri axle eqipment trailer on one 150 mile trip with good preasure, 3750lb 14ply tires with only about 17,000 (including trailer weight) but tires were about 3 years old.
I think that running a tire close to the rated maximum is the main reason for tire failures. That, age, and of course damaged conditions.

If 1 tire blows/goes flat on at multiple axle trailer, the other tire(s) take the weight of the trailer for x number of miles that is traveled before the flat is discovered. That remaining tire has now been run way over the maximum rating, possible damaging the cords. I think that is why people sometimes have multiple tire failures on a single trip.

Also, in multiple tire failures on the same side, road debris may have caused damage to both tires. 1 tire goes, but the other(s) may not be quite ready to deflate until later down the road.

I am still not convinced that many of these tire failures are due to blowouts....unless the driver sees and/or hears the blowout. A unnoticed flat tire on a trailer will start giving up parts in short order. By the time the flat is discovered, there is not much left of the tire, leading to blowout speculation. A TPMS may eliminate that scenario.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:52 AM   #8
Oklahoma Proud

Sorry should have been more specific. I really don't have true blowouts but feel a vibration like a washboard road and look in the mirror and tire is starting to de-laminate. The carcas never blew just tread and they all did it about 50 miles apart on different sides, not a load issue. When I got home a forth tire had a knot. All still had 90-100 psi. Bottom line crap tires all got replaced.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:56 PM   #9

I just contacted a local dealer and got a reasonable price on (5) new Maxxis M8008 ST tires. I'm going tomorrow to have them mounted and balanced. They were actually about the same price as I would have paid for new GY Marathons but after Googling I found quite a few comments from other RV'ers about the GY failing early. I didn't see anything negative about the Maxxis so I'll keep my fingers crossed. Also I did look on the NHTSA site and found a lot of complaints on Carlisle ST tires, a few on Goodyear Marathon ST and none on Maxxis so we'll see.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:08 PM   #10

I'll bet there are a few on this board who will make you a good deal on some Trail Express tires!

Doesn't matter which tire you choose, I recommend a good TPMS. I use the Tire Minder.
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timex View Post
I'll bet there are a few on this board who will make you a good deal on some Trail Express tires!

Doesn't matter which tire you choose, I recommend a good TPMS. I use the Tire Minder.
Do you have any interference at all with the wireless setup? I know Tire Minder sells a hard wired booster to help eliminate interference but is the booster necessary for most applications?
Old 09-17-2012, 06:06 PM   #12

I have not had a problem with receiving a signal, yet. I do on the rare occasion get a NO SENSOR message on the display. I just unscrew the sensor and screw it back on. Works great for me.

Recently sent back my old sensor batteries to TireMinder and they sent me 5 new batteries. Good company to help you if you have any questions on how to operate your device.
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:37 PM   #13
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingingfork View Post
Do you have any interference at all with the wireless setup? I know Tire Minder sells a hard wired booster to help eliminate interference but is the booster necessary for most applications?
I use the TST 507 sensors and they use CR1632 wrist watch batteries in the sensors. Haven't had any problems with them yet. Batteries are supposed to work 24/7 for 40-52 wks, but I take them off if I'm going to park over 2 or 3 days. I also carry new batteries just in case.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:53 PM   #14
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingingfork
I just contacted a local dealer and got a reasonable price on (5) new Maxxis M8008 ST tires. I'm going tomorrow to have them mounted and balanced. They were actually about the same price as I would have paid for new GY Marathons but after Googling I found quite a few comments from other RV'ers about the GY failing early. I didn't see anything negative about the Maxxis so I'll keep my fingers crossed. Also I did look on the NHTSA site and found a lot of complaints on Carlisle ST tires, a few on Goodyear Marathon ST and none on Maxxis so we'll see.
I hope you have as good of luck as we have w/ maxxis tires. We have used them in rather extreme conditions on some farm trucks and atvs with narry a prob. And most have been in use over half a dozen years!!
Old 09-17-2012, 09:53 PM   #15
DS ADV Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingingfork View Post
Hi,

I've just become the proud owner of my first RV, a 2006 Surveyor SV264, which the original owner still had the original GY Marathon tires mounted on (ST205/75R14) and they are stamped Made In New Zealand. After reading through more than several threads on this forum I need some helpful comments.
1) Should I stay with the Load Range C tire or look for a Range D ......
I bought a 2004 Grand Surveyor in 2009 that had the original Marathon tires, with Load range C (1250lbs at 35psi), and it weighed over 5000lb - too close to the 4 tires combined rating IMO. I had 2 quite serious blowouts that caused extensive damage and replaced all 5 tires - 2 in 2010 and 3 in 2011 - with the same GY Marathon, however they were (improved?) and now D rated (1750lbs at 50psi).

I had no problems after changing to the D rated version.
DualSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:17 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DualSport View Post
I bought a 2004 Grand Surveyor in 2009 that had the original Marathon tires, with Load range C (1250lbs at 35psi), and it weighed over 5000lb - too close to the 4 tires combined rating IMO. I had 2 quite serious blowouts that caused extensive damage and replaced all 5 tires - 2 in 2010 and 3 in 2011 - with the same GY Marathon, however they were (improved?) and now D rated (1750lbs at 50psi).

I had no problems after changing to the D rated version.
Huh ?? I am not exactly sure how a 2004 tire was rated, but there is nothing on the current Marathon list that has that low of a pressure, or maximum tire rating.....not even 13" tire.

C rated tires have a maximum pressure rating of 50 lbs, D rated are 65 lbs.

Even though your tires added up to 5000 lbs. on your 5000 lb. trailer, some of that weight was tongue weight. But with things that close it was probably wise to upgrade the tires. Still, I don't get the D rated tires at 50 lbs. maximum inflation, and only 1750 lbs. The smallest D rated Marathon is listed as 2540 lbs. maximum load at 65 lbs.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:16 AM   #17
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Huh ?? I am not exactly sure how a 2004 tire was rated, but there is nothing on the current Marathon list that has that low of a pressure, or maximum tire rating.....not even 13" tire.

C rated tires have a maximum pressure rating of 50 lbs, D rated are 65 lbs.

Even though your tires added up to 5000 lbs. on your 5000 lb. trailer, some of that weight was tongue weight. But with things that close it was probably wise to upgrade the tires. Still, I don't get the D rated tires at 50 lbs. maximum inflation, and only 1750 lbs. The smallest D rated Marathon is listed as 2540 lbs. maximum load at 65 lbs.
Different pressures for different loads. I don't think he meant it was the max pressure and maximum load the tire would carry.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:41 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
Different pressures for different loads. I don't think he meant it was the max pressure and maximum load the tire would carry.
I said it in my last post, and will again here........huh ??

Unless the ratings have changed significantly since 2004, C rated tires should have carried the load of a 5000 lb. trailer if they were inflated to the maximum tire pressure.

Hopefully DualSport will clarify his post.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:59 AM   #19
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Where's donn when you need him ?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:05 PM   #20
DS ADV Rider

The 2004 GY Marathon stated load rating C and 1250lbs max at 35psi right on the sidewall. When I replaced the first blowout in Apr 2010 I bought the same tire except sidewall now said load rating D 1750lbs (I think) and 50psi max. I replaced the other 4 in Dec 2010 after second blowout, and sidewall data the same. I traded the Surveyor for a LaCrosse last month so I can't easily verify sidewall data.
Bob
DualSport is offline   Reply With Quote