Old 04-23-2016, 07:44 PM   #21

While I agree with the original post and appreciate the info very much, there is another side to the 'slower is always better' generality.

In the southwest our 75mph freeways are generally very straight and level. We travel at 70 mph while towing unless weather says otherwise. Most semi traffic also travels this speed. Occasionally we will come across an RV traveling 55-60 mph which I feel creates just as dangerous a situation to other traffic as does the idiot going 80+.

So IMHO there is a necessary speed compromise. Travel slow enough to be safe and within you and your equipments limits, but fast enough not to be a hindrance to traffic flow.

Old 04-23-2016, 08:20 PM   #22

Another angle

Just to add another angle on towing speed. There have been many times where the road condition will determine our speed. I can't imagine what hitting some of those pot-holes at 80mph would do to not only the truck and trailer suspension but my TV, dishes, chairs, etc. You can't say enough about safety but like most of us, if it breaks we have to repair or pay to have it done and money coming out of our budget also slows us down.

Old 04-23-2016, 09:13 PM   #23

Great post! I had to learn about temp ratings the hard way: blew four tires before I got the correct tires for the darned Rockwood Ultralite. I had our new trailer's tires replaced with Carlisles rated at a maximum speed of 79 mph. But, as the OP points out, that is for a brand-new tire. I stay at 65 mph or less and avoid freeways like the plague, especially in windy weather.
2015: 18 days; 2016: 21 days; 2017: 16 days (so far)
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 10:53 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
A guy lost his life this AM in a Chevy pickup ( not towing) traveling down the hill and through the curves because he was in too big of hurry and 55 was too slow for him. He passed like he was in a hurry to get somewhere......... ..... I guess he did reach his final destination......
When ever people use to pass us like this when I was a kid, my mother always said that the person didn't want to be late to their funeral. This is a perfect example of that saying.

I don't understand why people are in such a hurry while towing or driving a bus. Yesterday I saw a Georgetown cruising along at a pretty good clip. He was in the middle lane and decided to go around a car on the right. There was a car crawling along (very common here in the Rio Grande Valley) in right lane. The Georgetown has to switch back to center and the whole dang think was rocking back and forth. I thought it was going to flip on us. They were not only putting themselves at risk, but other people as well. I don't know what our tires are rated at (that's a hubby thing), but we rarely go over 65. Doing 60 is comfortable for us towing. The whole idea in buying an RV is for enjoyment. I sure see a lot more things at that speed as well. I save being a road warrior for when I am in my car.
2015 23BD Grey Wolf, 2012 Chevy Silverado 1500
2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights
Life is short
mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 11:12 AM   #25

Semis drive 80, why not me?

Studies show that the difference in speeds between vehicles is a bigger factor in accidents than high speed. A vehicle driving 60 in a 75 mile zone is a potential hazard.
Following distance is as important as stopping distance. For cars, you should be at least 2 seconds behind the vehicle in front. Youíll notice that truckers keep lots of space in front of them. If the space in front of you is longer than your stopping distance, youíre all good.
Trailer manufacturers lowball both load range and speed ratings. There is no excuse for anyone to buy a trailer tire that is rated less than the speed limit on the fastest road theyíll ever drive. I upgraded my tires from load range C to D, and 65 mph to 81 mph. I donít always drive the speed limit, but it is more of an issue of fuel mileage than safety.
If you want to be really safe, you could drive at 15 mph, but there are always tradeoffs. To call someone an idiot, just because you donít agree with them, is just intolerant. Are all truckers idiots?
Old 04-24-2016, 12:49 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnoland30 View Post
Studies show that the difference in speeds between vehicles is a bigger factor in accidents than high speed. A vehicle driving 60 in a 75 mile zone is a potential hazard.
Following distance is as important as stopping distance. For cars, you should be at least 2 seconds behind the vehicle in front. Youíll notice that truckers keep lots of space in front of them. If the space in front of you is longer than your stopping distance, youíre all good.
Trailer manufacturers lowball both load range and speed ratings. There is no excuse for anyone to buy a trailer tire that is rated less than the speed limit on the fastest road theyíll ever drive. I upgraded my tires from load range C to D, and 65 mph to 81 mph. I donít always drive the speed limit, but it is more of an issue of fuel mileage than safety.
If you want to be really safe, you could drive at 15 mph, but there are always tradeoffs. To call someone an idiot, just because you donít agree with them, is just intolerant. Are all truckers idiots?

I always leave plenty of space between me and the vehicle in front. That seems to only indicate to every idiot they should cut in front of me.
CaptnJohn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 02:26 PM   #27

Something common to most of us.......people going slower than us are morons and those going faster are idiots.
Old 04-24-2016, 02:52 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Lite Fun View Post
Something common to most of us.......people going slower than us are morons and those going faster are idiots.
If space would permit, and if somehow I could place them where they could be seen, I'd put on TWO bumper stickers.......one on back bumper and one on front.

One on back bumper would say "Pass ONLY on left. I did not get up this morning thinking I'd need to be concerned with where you are going or when you need to be there".

On front bumper, sticker would read (where guy ahead could see it) "I realize I'm driving on YOUR planet, but surely you could either speed up or park it and milk it!"

and yes, both the above are jokes!!!! I rarely drive over 65, and usually only when I am not paying good enough attention for a few seconds.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 03:24 PM   #29

I could care less how fast or slow someone drives. I'll adjust or pass. When I'm towing 11,000# keeping a safe distance between my truck and the vehicle in front and someone pulls jumps into that space with just a few feet from my bumper ~~ they are an idiot. There is enough room to get in there safely, then Ill give them more room. A turn signal indicating intentions would be nice too. Failing that, they are an idiot.
CaptnJohn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 05:12 PM   #30

Only so many idiots

O.K. There are idiots on the road, but surely no one on this forum. There is a limit to idiots, and the proof is that when they have multi-car pileups on foggy roads, there are only 75 or so cars involved. Eventually, someone keeps enough distance to actually stop before hitting the car in front.

Tags
tire, tires