Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2016, 10:58 AM   #1
Commercial Member

80+ MPH RV tires !!! ?

Recently read a post on a forum where the question was asked about by-passing the speed limiter that was on the poster's Class-A unit as the poster wanted to drive faster than 80! I also see many TT owners that feel that any speed they can achieve with their high HP pick-up is OK too.

The general consensus was that 80 was not a reasonable speed in an RV and many people knew that their tires were rated for 75mph or less.

On my trip from Ohio to Oregon in 2014 I noted that many interstates now had updated the posted speed limits from the old 55 to 65, 70 and as high as 80mph. While I "puttered" along in the right lane with my cruise set at 60-62 mph, I saw all manner of vehicles whiz past me, including many RVs, some of which were clearly exceeding the speed rating of their tires. Of course I also saw a number of RV on the side of the road changing out a failed tire. Even have one fail a right rear right in front of me.

In March and April of 2015 I wrote about tire speed ratings in my blog. This is a real safety issue with potentially both short- and long-term consequences.

First off, as a professional race car driver and police driving instructor, I think it would be unsafe and foolish to drive an RV in excess of 70 mph. A quick search of the internet finds numerous charts showing the effect of increased speed on stopping distance, with large RVs needing 40% to maybe 80% more distance to come to a stop as speed increases.

At 55 mph, you will "only" need 100 feet more than the length of a football field to stop. At 80 mph, it would take you the length of three football fields to come to a stop.
While you might get lucky as you sit high above the traffic, have you asked yourself how you would feel after driving completely over a passenger car that can stop in maybe half the distance it takes you to stop, killing everyone in the car in the process?

BUT this post isn't about general driving safety, as hopefully you have a good understanding of your vehicle capabilities, having done a practice emergency stop at speed on a "closed course." I want to address the effect of speed on tire durability.

Tires have a speed rating. This is the speed at which a tire can be driven for a short time without failing immediately. For most ST type tires this is 65 mph. There are some special high load trailer tires that are only rated for 62 mph. LT tires and TBR (Truck-Bus Radials) are rated for 75 mph in RV service according to top tire companies in their RV tire brochures. If you look at the side of an LT tire you may see a "Speed Symbol" letter. An example might be LT235/85R16 114/111 Q with the 114/111 being the "Load Index" single and dual and the Letter "Q" being the speed symbol.

If you place a passenger tire or LT tire in RV service the manufacturer has lowered the speed rating to 75 max. If there is no Speed Symbol then the speed rating on the ST, LT or passenger tires I would consider it to be 65 mph.

As I wrote previously, some ST tires may be rated with a speed number or symbol by the manufacturer. This number should be molded on the sidewall. I would not trust information that is just verbal from a tire salesman.

In my "Links" post you can see information on an importer of ST type tires that has published the speed symbol for their tires as "L" which corresponds to 75 mph.
Here are some of the Speed Symbols and the corresponding max speed capability:
F = 50 mph G = 55 mph H = 60 mph J = 62 mph K = 68 mph L = 75 mph

IMPORTANT INFORMATION
It is very important that you understand that all the above is based on a laboratory test done on new tires. If a tire has hit a pot hole or been repaired or been parked in the sun for months, then there has been some degradation to the tire's strength and I would not expect it to pass the same test requirements. In fact, if a tire has been repaired, it's in many pieces of literature that the tire looses its speed rating.

Another bit of information to remember is that running fast will increase the temperature of a tire and as I covered in depth in my post on tire covers: "Increased temperature causes continued and accelerated chemical reaction which "ages" a tire faster than when the tire is cool. A rule of thumb would be that the rate a tire ages doubles with every 18°F increase in temperature. We can see the result of old rubber on the surface. What we don't see is the more brittle rubber of the internal tire structure. As rubber gets more brittle with age it also looses strength." Running a tire at 70 rather than 60 will probably increase the internal temperature by 20 to 40°F so every hour you are driving that fast is costing you two to 8 hours of tire life. Damage is cumulative and slowing down does not repair the damage you have already done.

Finally any speed rating on a tire should be treated as you do the redline speed for your engine as seen on the tachometer. You may be able to exceed that speed but at the cost of significant reduction in engine life.

Drive safe. Slow down and enjoy the journey.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 11:16 AM   #2
(Dry Huunday)

Very good post! Even if I had tires rated at 80 I would only do 60-62 while towing because of the stopping distance! You never ever know what is gonna happen!

Once again thanks for sharing you knowledge and experience!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 11:27 AM   #3

X2, I don't understand why you would ever want to go 80, in the first place. Second, most people here, I suspect are on a budget. I can't even imagine my MPG if I went to 80.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 04-22-2016, 11:31 AM   #4
Who Dares, Wins

My trucks tires are rated at 115 or something... I'll never do that either. At work they are 200mph...

Although some will think they should or can, I think it is more so that when you are at 62 or 65 you are not running at the max. Much more wiggle room.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 11:34 AM   #5

Thanks for the good information. I'm not a newbie but I have to admit my tire knowledge and in fact general RV knowledge was woefully inadequate until I started scanning this forum.
Bear fans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 11:39 AM   #6
Who Dares, Wins

Isn't it scary.. I was the same way and still am in a sense. It is amazing what you do not know when you don't know...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 05:17 PM   #7

The tires on my 2016 are D ply with a speed rating L and stamped max speed 75 mph. I normally tow between 65-68 mph. It just seems to pull better than at 60 mph. Remember what works for me, may not be right for you. Jm2c
18k Pullrite Autoslider
2014 Harley Davidson FLHTK
Day Camped: 2015 - 45 2016 - 4
TomnGerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 05:50 PM   #8

great informative post but idiots are called idiots for a reason. Iwould rather arrive an hour later than arrive at the funeral home years ahead of time
thanks for yor post
brianj
take us
tncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 06:16 PM   #9

Every tire can run 80 mph , Question is How long will it last ?
Big Red and 30WR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 06:25 PM   #10

A guy lost his life this AM in a Chevy pickup ( not towing) traveling down the hill and through the curves because he was in too big of hurry and 55 was too slow for him. He passed like he was in a hurry to get somewhere......... ..... I guess he did reach his final destination......

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 08:12 AM   #11

I think my tires are rated for 105 or something. We tow a 63 or 65 most of the time. We get the best fuel mpg at that speed. But I believe the tire that are rated at higher speed are a better tires. I don't like the thought of driving the max speed of the tire on the trailer. Lot's of blow out's with the cheap low rated tires.
Hensley Cub hitch ,
jlgail4309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 08:31 AM   #12
Oklahoma Proud

We have a 75 mph interstate right by my house. I travel it every day and semis travel it at the speedlimit or up or down some. Granted the traffic is usully not that great so higher speeds are more safely achieved.
I rarely tow our camper, but i have reached speeds over 70 when i needed to and or didn't notice. Now pulling my triple axle boat trailer, I'll travel at 72-73 pretty consistently. I won't be the guy passing everybody, but i won't be the one holding up traffic for miles becsuse i wont go faster to pass a governed semi.

Now again these are 75 mile roads. I've been hauling trailers at interstate speeds since i was driving age.
My tires are always under 3 years old (most of the time under 2 years).
I am towing with a heavy, tow vehicle.
And i am NOT driving in a manner that is not reasonable or proper. I have driven semis over the years so i understand driving with a trailer.

Im glad the tire manufacturers are finally making an interstate towable tire!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 11:42 AM   #13
Dr Travel

Never understand people in a hurry. There is a direct correlation between speed and risk/danger. More speed = more risk/danger. Duh. Had to take a driving class to avoid a ticket to realize what that danger truly is. If I go over 62 my wife has my permission to punch my lights out. (after we stop, of course!) (Towing a 32' fiver with a terrific Ford truck.)
robsshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 12:00 PM   #14

I poke along 60-65 on I 95 and get passed by 5er's and MH's like I'm stand still. I just don't get it.
RVPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 12:14 PM   #15
Don

Towing with stock ST tires.

I tow between 60 & 65 with my 32ft 5r and F350. I have towed for years using the stock ST tires and never had a problem. Change them out every 2 to 3 yrs, keep them inflated properly and check them often. I always seem to be the slowest tower on the rd. I have seen many RVS on the side of the rd with blown tires. As a Christian I always trust God to get me where I'm going and back home. He has never let me down gets all the praise for that. Hope everyone has a safe towing season and God bless.
Sandy12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 01:28 PM   #16

The ST tires on my 5er are rated at 75. Not only L rating but spelled out on the sidewall. I generally set the cruise at 65 - 68. I am generally passed by everyone!
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 05:39 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post

Tires have a speed rating. This is the speed at which a tire can be driven for a short time without failing immediately. For most ST type tires this is 65 mph.
Why oh why has the tire industry established 65 mph as the rating for ST tires?? Is it technical, regulatory, legal, safety or cost related? It sure would be nice to have another 5 mph available - it's just too easy to unintentionally slide above 65 when cruising longer distances if not paying attention to the speedo. It sure would be nice to be able to set the CC at 65 and not have to stress about over-stressing your ST tires.
Old 04-23-2016, 05:47 PM   #18
Land of the Midnightsun

Nobody ever thinks about reaction time. That's what kills ya!
Elite Ready Brutte tow bar & Blue Ox base plate
Never mistake Knowledge for Wisdom. One helps you make a living the other help you make a LIFE.
jjSpeedwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 06:13 PM   #19

Always a yahoo or two out there driving, or pulling a RV like I-dots! Not a thought at all of having to suddenly slow,or stop.

Uneducated drivers, waking a fine line of a civil suit if they, and or equipment, was exceeded.

Slow down RV'ers......think about your safety, the safety of your family, and the safety of the other families on the roadways!
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 06:42 PM   #20

Profesional race car driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Recently read a post on a forum where the question was asked about by-passing the speed limiter that was on the poster's Class-A unit as the poster wanted to drive faster than 80! I also see many TT owners that feel that any speed they can achieve with their high HP pick-up is OK too.

The general consensus was that 80 was not a reasonable speed in an RV and many people knew that their tires were rated for 75mph or less.

On my trip from Ohio to Oregon in 2014 I noted that many interstates now had updated the posted speed limits from the old 55 to 65, 70 and as high as 80mph. While I "puttered" along in the right lane with my cruise set at 60-62 mph, I saw all manner of vehicles whiz past me, including many RVs, some of which were clearly exceeding the speed rating of their tires. Of course I also saw a number of RV on the side of the road changing out a failed tire. Even have one fail a right rear right in front of me.

In March and April of 2015 I wrote about tire speed ratings in my blog. This is a real safety issue with potentially both short- and long-term consequences.

First off, as a professional race car driver and police driving instructor, I think it would be unsafe and foolish to drive an RV in excess of 70 mph. A quick search of the internet finds numerous charts showing the effect of increased speed on stopping distance, with large RVs needing 40% to maybe 80% more distance to come to a stop as speed increases.

At 55 mph, you will "only" need 100 feet more than the length of a football field to stop. At 80 mph, it would take you the length of three football fields to come to a stop.
While you might get lucky as you sit high above the traffic, have you asked yourself how you would feel after driving completely over a passenger car that can stop in maybe half the distance it takes you to stop, killing everyone in the car in the process?

BUT this post isn't about general driving safety, as hopefully you have a good understanding of your vehicle capabilities, having done a practice emergency stop at speed on a "closed course." I want to address the effect of speed on tire durability.

Tires have a speed rating. This is the speed at which a tire can be driven for a short time without failing immediately. For most ST type tires this is 65 mph. There are some special high load trailer tires that are only rated for 62 mph. LT tires and TBR (Truck-Bus Radials) are rated for 75 mph in RV service according to top tire companies in their RV tire brochures. If you look at the side of an LT tire you may see a "Speed Symbol" letter. An example might be LT235/85R16 114/111 Q with the 114/111 being the "Load Index" single and dual and the Letter "Q" being the speed symbol.

If you place a passenger tire or LT tire in RV service the manufacturer has lowered the speed rating to 75 max. If there is no Speed Symbol then the speed rating on the ST, LT or passenger tires I would consider it to be 65 mph.

As I wrote previously, some ST tires may be rated with a speed number or symbol by the manufacturer. This number should be molded on the sidewall. I would not trust information that is just verbal from a tire salesman.

In my "Links" post you can see information on an importer of ST type tires that has published the speed symbol for their tires as "L" which corresponds to 75 mph.
Here are some of the Speed Symbols and the corresponding max speed capability:
F = 50 mph G = 55 mph H = 60 mph J = 62 mph K = 68 mph L = 75 mph

IMPORTANT INFORMATION
It is very important that you understand that all the above is based on a laboratory test done on new tires. If a tire has hit a pot hole or been repaired or been parked in the sun for months, then there has been some degradation to the tire's strength and I would not expect it to pass the same test requirements. In fact, if a tire has been repaired, it's in many pieces of literature that the tire looses its speed rating.

Another bit of information to remember is that running fast will increase the temperature of a tire and as I covered in depth in my post on tire covers: "Increased temperature causes continued and accelerated chemical reaction which "ages" a tire faster than when the tire is cool. A rule of thumb would be that the rate a tire ages doubles with every 18°F increase in temperature. We can see the result of old rubber on the surface. What we don't see is the more brittle rubber of the internal tire structure. As rubber gets more brittle with age it also looses strength." Running a tire at 70 rather than 60 will probably increase the internal temperature by 20 to 40°F so every hour you are driving that fast is costing you two to 8 hours of tire life. Damage is cumulative and slowing down does not repair the damage you have already done.

Finally any speed rating on a tire should be treated as you do the redline speed for your engine as seen on the tachometer. You may be able to exceed that speed but at the cost of significant reduction in engine life.

Drive safe. Slow down and enjoy the journey.
With all that experience, how did you evr find time to race?

pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires