Old 01-11-2016, 04:56 PM   #1

Abnormal tire wear

In November '15 I replaced the factory tires on my TT. The trailer is a '14 that was purchased in late '13. A couple of the the tires were manufactured in '12 so there was some drying out happening but not severe yet. I replaced the whole set primarily because of severe wear on the "corner" of the right front tire where the sidewall meets the tread. I didn't notice the wear until it was not too far from showing threads in the affected area. I was told it was most likely a case of cheap chinese tires that wear out very fast (we've put around 5k miles on the tires) and wear unevenly. So I put a set of GoodYear Marathons on. My concern is on the next trip I took I checked all 4 tires for heat at each gas stop along the way and the tire on the right front wasn't hot but seemed to be a little warmer that the other 3, specifically in the same area that the factory tire wore out in. Wondering if there is an alignment issue? Or something with bearing(s)? The place that put the tires on was not an RV place so they couldn't check anything on the alignment. Anybody dealt with something like this? We are planning a 4k+ mile trip out west in the summer and I need this resolved prior that kind of haul. Thanks for any input!

Nights camped so far 2017 - 16
Admiral_Roo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 05:04 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Uneven wear----------------

You could have a bad axel. Until you put some miles on the new set of tires, it is hard to tell from your post if the new tires are wearing as the original tires.

TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2017 66 DAYS
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 09:43 AM   #3

I would not blame the tires if you have evidence of uneven wear. More likely an alignment problem. You need to take it to a truck alignment shop before the new tire(s) wear, too.
Old 01-21-2016, 02:08 PM   #4

At Camping World now

Thanks for input, took it to CW in Anniston AL, they are the only RV place in my area that has an alignment gizmo for TTs. Only trip we've taken post new tires was not long enough to actually show visible wear so just had to go by hot spot. Hopefully they can adjust it and I'll just be out the minimal diag / work fee. If it gets into parts & labor beyond that I'm going to see how much or if all is covered under warranty thru Dexter axles.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:28 PM   #5

Let us know what is the outcome.
Old 01-29-2016, 02:48 PM   #6

Update / plan moving forward

CW advised that the alignment or axles has no issues. The cost to have this checked was $150.00. They offered to repack the bearings, replace seals and do a brake inspection to ensure none of these things are contributing to the issue for an additional $300.00. That just seems like a lot of money for unnecessary maintenance on the bearings (less than 5k miles on trailer) that very likely are having no effect on the tires whatsoever. If I had a severe brake issue seems like it would present itself more obviously. I have decided for now to just "roll" with it (sorry, couldn't resist) and be very diligent in checking for heat / early uneven wear on the right front tire. If the problem worsens then I may have to dig deeper to try and figure out what's going on. Obviously I want to avoid a blowout if at all possible, so worst case scenario if that one keeps wearing ahead of the others and we can't find a cause I'll just replace that tire every 5k miles or 2 years-ish for a hundred bucks.

Any thoughts on my approach?

Also does anyone know if you can pull the wheels & drums without disassembling bearings / seals to do my own inspection of the brakes just to cover that base?

Thx for feedback!
Old 01-29-2016, 03:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral_Roo2 View Post
In November '15 I replaced the factory tires on my TT. The trailer is a '14 that was purchased in late '13. A couple of the the tires were manufactured in '12 so there was some drying out happening but not severe yet. I replaced the whole set primarily because of severe wear on the "corner" of the right front tire where the sidewall meets the tread. I didn't notice the wear until it was not too far from showing threads in the affected area. I was told it was most likely a case of cheap chinese tires that wear out very fast (we've put around 5k miles on the tires) and wear unevenly. So I put a set of GoodYear Marathons on. My concern is on the next trip I took I checked all 4 tires for heat at each gas stop along the way and the tire on the right front wasn't hot but seemed to be a little warmer that the other 3, specifically in the same area that the factory tire wore out in. Wondering if there is an alignment issue? Or something with bearing(s)? The place that put the tires on was not an RV place so they couldn't check anything on the alignment. Anybody dealt with something like this? We are planning a 4k+ mile trip out west in the summer and I need this resolved prior that kind of haul. Thanks for any input!
You might consider the way your unit is loaded . does that tire end up carrying a bigger load then it should ?
Old 01-29-2016, 03:31 PM   #8

Maybe

I guess that's possible since the fridge, hot water heater and pantry are all in that general area and we are the kind of family that carries a spare... and a backup to the spare for most everything, whether it's consumable or not. If that's the problem I don't know how to solve it since I have no idea where else I would put the items for the fridge and pantry. But I will keep that in mind, a local RV guy mentioned checking for side to side level based on loading etc. also. Thanks.
Old 01-29-2016, 05:25 PM   #9

As soon as the replacement tire begins to wear uneven I would take it to a truck alignment shop for evaluation, regardless of what CW said. Yes, you have to remove the outer bearing to remove the drum and remove the inner seal to examine the inner bearing.
Old 01-30-2016, 08:48 PM   #10

I would strongly advise you to invest in a TPMS for your TT. With it, you will know in real time what is going on with your tires. REAL TIME is huge! After you have already stopped is not the time to find out you have a problem.
IMHO, it is the best investment you can make on an RV.

Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire