Old 04-27-2016, 04:57 PM   #1
DDC

Adding Air Bags

Thinking of adding air bags my question is which ones? I've looked at air lift 5000 and firestone F2528, I see airlift uses plastic at the end of the bags as opposed to steel on the firestone if anyone is using these I'm looking for your opinion. PLEASE don't comment on weight issues as that is not the question.

Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 05:21 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
Thinking of adding air bags my question is which ones? I've looked at air lift 5000 and firestone F2528, I see airlift uses plastic at the end of the bags as opposed to steel on the firestone if anyone is using these I'm looking for your opinion. PLEASE don't comment on weight issues as that is not the question.
I have the Firestone bags on my F250 and they work great. I did not add the onboard compressor so just run at 5-10psi unloaded and at about 35psi when fifth wheel is attached. They have worked well for me.

My son in law and I installed them in a couple of hours. Not very difficult to do. I would recommend the Firestone bags. I don't have any experience with the air lift 5000 but sure others will pipe in...

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 06:53 PM   #3

I added the airlift ultimate 5000 air bags to my Chevy 2500hd. They have the internal jounce bumper. It took me about 2 hours each side. Just make sure you check the bags for leaks before your install them. I had one that was leaking, contacted airlift and they sent me a new one, got it in 2 days. So far so good. This is my first set of bags so I cannot comment on the fire stones.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Prime Time Sanibel Traveler 38QB
2015 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax
crooks07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 07:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
I have the Firestone bags on my F250 and they work great. I did not add the onboard compressor so just run at 5-10psi unloaded and at about 35psi when fifth wheel is attached. They have worked well for me.

My son in law and I installed them in a couple of hours. Not very difficult to do. I would recommend the Firestone bags. I don't have any experience with the air lift 5000 but sure others will pipe in...
X2 on F350
4WD SRW Diesel
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 07:11 PM   #5
Done with this

I installed the Firestones. Ultra easy, prefect fit. I ran the fill valves to the licence plate. I didn't think onboard air was necessary for my needs. I would recommend them.

I'm a little too truthful, I guess.
Y'all have fun in "Fantasy Land".
4mula1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 07:27 PM   #6

If you do look at the Airlift's, I'll second the "Ultimates". Without that option, they would be pretty much the same as the Firestones. In a pinch, you can run the 5000 Ultimates with no air. Don't try that with any of the others, that I am aware of.

Not sure about your truck, but for my truck the only advantage I saw on the Firestones was that they had two different mounting levels. It is just a second set of holes, but allows a higher or lower ride. I just didn't need that.

As for the ease of installation, they are almost exactly the same installation methods on most trucks.
Old 04-27-2016, 07:29 PM   #7

I have the airlift 5000's and so far they are great. I run about 15 psi unloaded and about 40-50 loaded.

No compressor. I wanted to minimize the places where air could find a way out

Marty
Old 04-27-2016, 07:40 PM   #8
Done with this

For my application, the Air Lift required drilling. The Firestones did not. Check the instructions for your vehicle.

I'm a little too truthful, I guess.
Y'all have fun in "Fantasy Land".
4mula1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 11:01 PM   #9

I have the firestones on my F250, they make for a really nice ride with the fifthwheel hooked up. Run about 10psi unloaded and 40psi with the fifthwheel on. I ran the airlines inside the fuel door so I can reach it with my little 12v compressor. Installation was about 3.5hrs to install.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:22 PM   #10

Firestone! Youroo!!

Tags
air bags