Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2018, 10:45 PM   #1

Akuret tire exploded while sitting

I've pulled my 38' Infinity by Dutchman several thousand miles, the most recent move was three weeks ago. I came home today and noticed my generator that is chained under my slide was moved. I figured someone was "looking at" while I was out of town. When I was moving it back I noticed the tire had exploded while sitting on my pad. I've never heard of this happening before. Pic attached!

Is this common? Do tires just explode like this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180706_224441.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	342.9 KB
ID:	178533  
Sbergstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 11:29 PM   #2
Lifelong Learner

Do you have ST or LT tires? Also how hot would you say it was when this occurred. I have heard that concrete is one of the worst for tires to sit on in hot weather. Do you use tire/wheel covers?
dinkhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 11:44 PM   #3

ST. I wasn't here when it happened, but would assume high nineties. I live in Houston, the RV park here is almost all concrete. I have tire covers but haven't put them back on yet since my move back here three weeks ago. Should I put something under my tires to keep them off the concrete?

I'm relatively new to the RV world. I've been in this one for almost 3 years. I got tired of wasting my per diem on hotel/motel costs.
Old 07-07-2018, 02:45 AM   #4

Did you find a "Bullet"inside or near by? Youroo!!
Old 07-07-2018, 05:23 AM   #5
Citrus County, Fl.

Many years ago I had the spare on my TT explode sitting in the sun. (Goodyear Marathon) It was probably between 5 and 10 years old so should have been replaced. This is what Michelin says about long term storage.....some
storage surfaces can cause tires to age faster. That’s why
Michelin recommends placing a barrier (cardboard,
plastic or plywood) between the tire and the storage
surface.

https://www.michelinb2b.com/wps/b2bc...s_Brochure.pdf
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 05:59 AM   #6
"On the road again"

On our previous fifth wheel it came with Akuret tires and two of them blew out (but it was going down the road). I got rid of the Akurets after that.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 08:39 AM   #7

Suggestion: Go to Wally World, or anywhere you can find a large plastic cutting board. Buy four of them, place on whatever surface your tires will be parked on to prevent the tires from direct contact. I park my TT in my back yard with the tires on 2x8 PT boards but also have the cutting boards between the tires and 2x8's. I got rid of the "Constancy" branded tires on my TT ASAP after the purchase, went with Goodyear Endurance
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 11:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Did you find a "Bullet"inside or near by? Youroo!!
I thought about a bullet or some projectile possibly causing the explosion. I'm about to take it off and get it replaced.
Old 07-07-2018, 11:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
Suggestion: Go to Wally World, or anywhere you can find a large plastic cutting board. Buy four of them, place on whatever surface your tires will be parked on to prevent the tires from direct contact. I park my TT in my back yard with the tires on 2x8 PT boards but also have the cutting boards between the tires and 2x8's. I got rid of the "Constancy" branded tires on my TT ASAP after the purchase, went with Goodyear Endurance
That's a great idea! I live across the street from a Walmartistan. I'll pick them up on my way back with the new tires.
Old 07-07-2018, 02:06 PM   #10

If you can’t find any reason for the failure, when you replace the tire, you can request a DOT failure card. DOT gets enough of the cards, they might do something about it.
Rick_Geneseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 03:20 PM   #11

Is the tire or trailer still under warranty? They may replace the tire for free.
Goldwing 1800GL
Wilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 03:27 PM   #12

Do you think that the tire caused the generator to move or was someone messing with it and possibly the tire too.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 03:48 PM   #13

Clearly a defective tire. That is a separation of the inner and outer layers. Usually caused by a broken belt or other bonding defect within the tire that has probably been there since it was built. The tire looks fairly new with plenty of tread left so it should be replaced at minimal cost. But with the history of that brand I wouldn't put another one back on. You got lucky. That bubble (separation) has been there a while and you just didn't notice it. Could have happened while driving. The idea that the surface you park your tires on could be causing more heat than the tire would endure while driving on a hot asphalt road is just crazy. Don't fall for these lame excuses for bad tire construction presented by tire companies and salesman. You should always check the inside of your tires regularly by running your hand over the inner surface. Usually these separations aren't found on the inside until the tire ruptures under load while on the road. The tire is then destroyed and it is very difficult to see the cause.

SB 4x4 6.7L Cummins
Pullrite SuperGlide
2015 Palomino Columbus 320RS
ICanFixIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 03:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilco View Post
Is the tire or trailer still under warranty? They may replace the tire for free.
I think the generator was moved by the bursting of the tire. My generator is chained twice to the frame of my RV. You can clearly see the chain, I'm in a gated RV "resort" with security cameras all over.
Old 07-07-2018, 03:56 PM   #15

You got CHina Bombed...

get some new tires at all positions and be glad it did not happen while you were pulling it...

I like the new Goodyear Endurance tires that are made in the USA. A much heavier tire construction then most...

search this forum for dozens of tire threads

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 04:00 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICanFixIt View Post
Clearly a defective tire. That is a separation of the inner and outer layers. Usually caused by a broken belt or other bonding defect within the tire that has probably been there since it was built. The tire looks fairly new with plenty of tread left so it should be replaced at minimal cost. But with the history of that brand I wouldn't put another one back on. You got lucky. That bubble (separation) has been there a while and you just didn't notice it. Could have happened while driving. The idea that the surface you park your tires on could be causing more heat than the tire would endure while driving on a hot asphalt road is just crazy. Don't fall for these lame excuses for bad tire construction presented by tire companies and salesman. You should always check the inside of your tires regularly by running your hand over the inner surface. Usually these separations aren't found on the inside until the tire ruptures under load while on the road. The tire is then destroyed and it is very difficult to see the cause.
Discount Tire said it was a broken belt, I'm assuming that the separation was sitting on/close to the hot concrete. The conditions were "perfect" to cause it to burst. Luckily I was not pulling it when it decided to blow. I went ahead and took off the other Akuret tire on the other side and replaced both. I have 3 matching Goodyear Endurance and one Gladiator qr25-ts. I'll probably replace the Gladiator before I move to my next project.
Old 07-07-2018, 04:04 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilco View Post
RV is not under warranty anymore and I'd rather pay for new tires than deal with that dang warranty company. Lol
Old 07-07-2018, 06:45 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbergstrom View Post
RV is not under warranty anymore and I'd rather pay for new tires than deal with that dang warranty company. Lol
If your wheels can handle the PSI just buy Sailun and be done.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 08:13 PM   #19

On my old fiver it sat parked by my carport at the time and the spare blew it took all the siding off the back of the fiver. cost over $1000 dollars to repair it that was the only flat I ever had with it in the 35 years of ownership.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 08:21 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetonford View Post
On my old fiver it sat parked by my carport at the time and the spare blew it took all the siding off the back of the fiver. cost over $1000 dollars to repair it that was the only flat I ever had with it in the 35 years of ownership.
Crap, I didn't think to see what brand the spare was. I guess I'll be getting under it when I get back from working in Freeport next week.

What brand was your spare? I'm assuming it was never used if it exploding was your only flat.

Tags
tire