Old 02-06-2016, 10:53 PM   #11

If you have pull thru stems ,they will corrode and leak first.Forgot to mention that!

Old 02-06-2016, 10:54 PM   #12
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiceTheIce View Post
IF your hypothesis about aluminum wheels leaking in a couple years is correct, there will be a bunch of Brrkshire owners with flat tires.
I had aluminum wheels on my Jeep. I was always chasing slow leaks from corrosion. Now I was driving in some pretty tough terrain so it was a bit rough on the rims. I usually had to de-mount the tire once every year or two and use an abrasive pad to get the build up off the bead to keep the seal.

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 02:52 PM   #13

Have a 2015 320RS with the exact same problem. It is not as bad as poster but they are there. Started showing signs within months of coming from build. Camper has never been around corrosive road chemicals and has only been cleaned/washed with a cloth sponge and RV wash soap. Can we say, Just cheap China rims?
Old 02-07-2016, 08:14 PM   #14

I had a 2011 Cedarcreek that did the same thing the first year of ownership. I called Cedarcreek and sent them pictures. They sent brand new replacement wheels. The replacements did the same thing. They said it was corrosion under the clear coat. They are still on the unit with no problems other than appearance.

Ron & Pat
Greentown Indiana
2014 F350
2016 Chaparal 336TSIK
ronandpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 11:04 PM   #15

Thanks for all the replies. The frustrating part is I spent the extra $$$ to get aluminum rims because they added an extra bit of "bling" to the camper. Problem is the wheels will look awful in a year when the problem spreads. I'll try to get them replaced under warranty and let you all know how it goes, but unfortunately I doubt the manufacturer will replace them if the problem is only "cosmetic". This flaw is just one more item with my 2015 Roo19 purchase that I'm disappointed in. Problems in addition to the rims so far are roof delamination, crooked outdoor tv mount, cabinets that don't close straight, broken bed end latch, and malfunctioning bed fans. I bought the Rockwood Roo because I believed it to be the best of the best after all my research before purchasing it. My family and I have thoroughly enjoyed the camper, but I'm beginning to wonder what problems will pop up in the years to come. I have no problem spending extra money for quality, but so far I'm a bit disappointed. This is the first camper I have purchased. I hope Forest River takes a close look at their quality control department.
Old 02-07-2016, 11:31 PM   #16

Uhm, I don't think I've heard the words "rv" and "quality" in the same sentence before. This is a first for me!
Old 02-07-2016, 11:40 PM   #17
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by OK3wire View Post
Thanks for all the replies. The frustrating part is I spent the extra $$$ to get aluminum rims because they added an extra bit of "bling" to the camper. Problem is the wheels will look awful in a year when the problem spreads. I'll try to get them replaced under warranty and let you all know how it goes, but unfortunately I doubt the manufacturer will replace them if the problem is only "cosmetic". This flaw is just one more item with my 2015 Roo19 purchase that I'm disappointed in. Problems in addition to the rims so far are roof delamination, crooked outdoor tv mount, cabinets that don't close straight, broken bed end latch, and malfunctioning bed fans. I bought the Rockwood Roo because I believed it to be the best of the best after all my research before purchasing it. My family and I have thoroughly enjoyed the camper, but I'm beginning to wonder what problems will pop up in the years to come. I have no problem spending extra money for quality, but so far I'm a bit disappointed. This is the first camper I have purchased. I hope Forest River takes a close look at their quality control department.
Contact some area collision centers (aka body shops) for wheel repair companies. Anymore, we send out most of our aluminum wheels to get repaired. Unless they are center bent, or have huge chunks (3"+ or so ) gone, or are chromed....we get them repaired. Around the OKC area, i think we have about 3 or 4 companies that service us, with a few of the coming up from dallas. For anywhere from $125 to $185 list is what we charge for repairs to our customers. (I think the current company we use, our list price is about $157).
These guys can strip and repaint or re-powdercoat to look like new again, as well as fix any curb rash or other issues.
Old 02-07-2016, 11:45 PM   #18

@Davidg, I see what you did there...
Old 02-07-2016, 11:47 PM   #19

@MillerTime. My point is I don't think this should be an issue for rims that are only 7 months old.
Old 02-07-2016, 11:48 PM   #20
New to FR. Old to TT

we have a 14 rockwood with 15" aluminum wheels that also started showing under clear coat corrosion on 2 of the 4. called the mfg and after photos and emails they sent 4 replacements. the air leakage will take years and years to happen as in the case of my dw's cts caddy took over 10 years to start leaking. now I have cleaned the rims and scrubbed any loose material and sprayed plast-a-dip and they look like new wheels.

Tags
wheel