Old 11-09-2012, 10:23 AM   #1

Another guy looking to switch to LT tires

I have 225/75-15 LRD power king towmax on my trailer which it came with when new. They probably have under 1000miles on them and look like new. But I have read nothing good about them and am a little worried. My axles are 4400 lb rated each so I need a tire rated at least 2200 lbs. The only tire that people seem to recomend are Maxxis and I can't find them here. Also, the speed rating of ST tire is an issue for me. Its not that I want to go fast, But i hate to be right near the limit of that rating.

So I'm wondering if anyone has switched to LT tires for the 15 inch rims. I see lots doing this for 16" but not 15's.

Looking on tire rack for info purposes this is what I found: Stock ST225 75 15 are rated 2540lbs @65psi, LT235 75's LRD are2335lb @65 psi and 255 70's LRD can carry 2553 @ 65psi.

What do you think about moving to an LT?

Old 11-09-2012, 10:53 AM   #2
daydreaming about camping

check out this brand:
Greenball Tires - Towmaster

I use these tires on my boat trailer, which sees much more extreme service than my TT tires do. They are rated at 75mph, and I and many other owners are very happy with them. They also track very straight. This is my objection to LT tires, they tend to grip the road more and will be drawn off center by variation in the road.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:11 AM   #3

i replaced mine with LT but they are 16." it gets questionable when u get under that.
There is a lot of information abt both ST and LT out there. Whatever u read or hear, go to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration web site and u can see for ur self what the standards are. If it isn't in the standard, the manufacturer doesn't have to do it. the site should help u separate the "i've heards" from the facts.
one thing, regardless of which u choose, get the rib tires (outside treads are smooth). it will make a difference in how the trailer tracks.

I swapped out because of a couple of ST's disintegrating and damaging the trailer. Wanted to go to a higher rated than an E but my rims aren't designed for them (my rims are 80 psi rated).
Old 11-09-2012, 12:18 PM   #4

Barry's Tire Tech

this is one of the web sites. read what they say abt ST and then scroll down and look at their suggested LT replacements.
one other thing, the one tire manufacturer that said that u could interchange them also said that the load ratings had to be maintained. meaning ur going to go with a higher rated LT or make sure ur trailer stays within the load limits at each tire. i know the difference is in the reserve but u still have to consider that. the tire manufacturer was named in the post but sense i didn't read that on their letter head, they will remain nameless.

below are links to fmca web site for ST and LT.

All Regulations - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

Old 11-10-2012, 07:21 AM   #5
Site Team - Lou

A search using ST and LT in the green search box will display several (hundred?) threads on this very board that have information on the pro's and cons of this conversion.

A phone call to Walter C. Cannon will also be informative.

Executive Director
RV Safety & Education Foundation
RV Safety & Education Foundation
Ph. 321-453-7673
Fax 321-453-3853

He is a wealth of information on the ST vs LT debate.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:05 PM   #6

those links i posted all go to the same place. if ur interested, ur looking for section 571 sub 109, 139, and 119. they aren't going to recommend one over the other but u can read what min test each of two has to pass.

i am glad to see that they now offer a ST with a higher speed rating than 65 mph ( ref jeeplj8's above post).

that rib tread design i believe in. i pulled the same trailer for 10 years and can say the tracking is very noticeably improved with the rib tread design. this is my 3 set of tires...changed them out with no apparent problems just due to their age. i lost two OEM's at 3yrs and did a couple thousand in damage to the trailer. except for this last time, i always went back with ST.

I chose the Brigestone Durvas R250. that is a 16" E rated. unfortunately, i haven't seen recommendations for replacing a ST with an LT on under 16" tires.

u also want to choose a manufacturer with a good quality control. that is probably one of the most important considerations.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:33 PM   #7

Thanks I'll do some reading. I have all winter to decide.