Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2017, 07:09 PM   #1

Another Lippert axle seal leak story

I was going to add this to an existing thread but I guess that thread was more than 6 months old so it wouldn't let me

Here's my tale of woe for the list. I took our TT in for warranty service on the slide out and asked them to check the brakes since they seemed to not be doing much braking. Got the call from the dealer today - at least two of the 4 wheels has leaking seals and contaminated brakes.

I should get the TT back on Monday complete with pictures of the issues. From what they told me FR won't cover this even though we only have 6 months and < 500 miles on it. I guess I get to start the battle with Lippert once I get my bill & the pics. Beginning to regret buying this trailer...
Only one shedding mutt now RIP Yoshi
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 09:38 PM   #2

We have to get our unit inspected every year, 4 times since 2010 at least one seal was leaking, most were not bad leaks but still needed replaced to pass inspection. One time has been on our 2016 Silverback for its first inspection.
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 10:00 PM   #3

I have 2014 3 axle XLR.
Before driving to CO wife and I pulled all the wheels for inspection.
Every seal was blown. Shoes covered in grease. Lotsa work.
I think this is more normal than not.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:00 PM   #4

If you have EZ Lube axles ... that's probably the reason you have seal issues. If you don't service your own unit and have a dealer do it ... many times a tech will just put a power greaser to the EZ lube zerks and go after it. Guaranteed to blow out the rear seal and coat your brakes with grease. I don't care for the EZ lube system and don't use it ... I repack by hand every couple of years. If you insist on using it ... per Dexter ... jack each wheel up independently and rotate tire while SLOWLY pumping grease until you see it come out outer bearing with dust cover plug off. I guarantee you'll use better than a tube of grease per wheel the first time as even Dexter doesn't fill the entire wheel cavity so their invention will work. If you don't have EZ lube axles ... disregard the above.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 11:37 PM   #5

Agreed...I will not be using the EZ-Lube system either and only grease by hand.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 11:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
If you have EZ Lube axles ... that's probably the reason you have seal issues. If you don't service your own unit and have a dealer do it ... many times a tech will just put a power greaser to the EZ lube zerks and go after it. Guaranteed to blow out the rear seal and coat your brakes with grease. I don't care for the EZ lube system and don't use it ... I repack by hand every couple of years. If you insist on using it ... per Dexter ... jack each wheel up independently and rotate tire while SLOWLY pumping grease until you see it come out outer bearing with dust cover plug off. I guarantee you'll use better than a tube of grease per wheel the first time as even Dexter doesn't fill the entire wheel cavity so their invention will work. If you don't have EZ lube axles ... disregard the above.
Agree, not the best invention.

2016 t28FQDX Shockwave,
New Provider tires 10/31/18 ,
2021 Chev LT 3500
2020 Polaris RZR 900 Fox Edition
herbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 09:07 AM   #7

We do have the EZ Lube axles but since the trailer is only 6 months old with less than 500 miles on it, I haven't used them yet. From what I have been reading, I guess I never will.

My current concern is how much of a battle this will be to get the repair paid for by FR or Lippert. We bought the trailer at a dealer that was more than 100 miles from our house and when I tried to get a service appointment there I was told the first available appointment was 2 1/2 months out. I finally found a local dealer that would do the service but I would have to pay up front and then get reimbursed by FR. Now with the seal/brake issue, the cost of the service has doubled and according to the service manager I will likely have to go to Lippert to get the brake repair portion of the money. I will say, the RV industry service business model is certainly a poor one...
Old 12-16-2017, 10:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry2c View Post
I was going to add this to an existing thread but I guess that thread was more than 6 months old so it wouldn't let me

Here's my tale of woe for the list. I took our TT in for warranty service on the slide out and asked them to check the brakes since they seemed to not be doing much braking. Got the call from the dealer today - at least two of the 4 wheels has leaking seals and contaminated brakes.

I should get the TT back on Monday complete with pictures of the issues. From what they told me FR won't cover this even though we only have 6 months and < 500 miles on it. I guess I get to start the battle with Lippert once I get my bill & the pics. Beginning to regret buying this trailer...
My trailer was out of warranty by a few months and after having it serviced several time for no brakes (kept saying electrical each time) I pulled drums the third time and found brakes greased.... contacted dealer and told me to contact lippert axle manufacture and I sent them pictures of axle sticker info and pictures of each greased brake and they sent me 2 complete sets and seals....contacted my dealer and they cleaned, hand greased bearings and switched out shoes no charge.....wow had brakes for the first time I could feel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich5117 View Post
We have to get our unit inspected every year, 4 times since 2010 at least one seal was leaking, most were not bad leaks but still needed replaced to pass inspection. One time has been on our 2016 Silverback for its first inspection.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:36 AM   #9

I have the EZ Lube axles. I pulled the drums for the first time about two months ago just to check the brakes and seals. (About 6500 miles) The seals were good and no grease on the brakes. The grease looked good, not dirty or discolored, and there was plenty of it. Maybe not full, but pretty close. I repacked the outer bearings by hand and put the drums back on, keeping everything as clean as possible. I didn’t see the need to replace the seals and repack the inner bearings. After assembly, I did use the EZ Lube. I pumped slowly and kept turning the drum. The only problem is there’s no way to tell if you blew grease past the seals when you’re done.

I’m wondering, if you fill the hub completely, will the grease expand when it warms up and push the seal out or push the rubber plug out of the cap? Maybe I’ll pull the caps and clean the grease out of the caps so there will be a little room for expansion.

Unfortunately, the trailer hasn’t moved since. We’ll try it out in the spring.

2017 Rockwood 2703WS - Sold
2015 Keystone Sprinter 333FWFLS
2017 F250, 6.2 Gas, 3.73 Axle, 2902 lb Payload
If women don't find you handsome, at least they should find you handy!
andymil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 11:59 AM   #10

The EZ lube ... good or bad experiences ... works on the principal of a fully packed wheel hub cavity. That's the only way it can work as designed. When you pump grease in the zerk, it comes out a small hole just behind the rear wheel bearing. The seal is supposed to hold the grease and the path thru the back bearing, thru the hub, and on thru the front bearing is the design. I've seen a bunch of EZ lube failures ... on the other hand ... I know a couple of RV owners that swear by it. I personally just don't have the patience to jack up each wheel and slowly pump in grease per manufacturers recommendation and hope the seal holds. I'll disassemble and repack every couple of years and have the opportunity when all apart to check the rest of the brake assy which you can't do just pumping on a zerk.
Old 12-16-2017, 12:27 PM   #11

Yeah, you do need to look inside once in a while.

2017 Rockwood 2703WS - Sold
2015 Keystone Sprinter 333FWFLS
2017 F250, 6.2 Gas, 3.73 Axle, 2902 lb Payload
If women don't find you handsome, at least they should find you handy!
andymil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 12:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
I'll disassemble and repack every couple of years and have the opportunity when all apart to check the rest of the brake assy which you can't do just pumping on a zerk.
Although I was thinking my life would be easier when I saw the EZ lube fittings, I will be ignoring them and following the method you stated - the good ole fashioned way. And, as you said you get to inspect the brakes at the same time.
Old 12-16-2017, 01:20 PM   #13

My 2014 Wildwood has has blown tires, "bent" axles and burned out bearings galore. I finally found the apparent reason. My local Firestone owner suggested I get the axles aligned. He and a local RV repair owner both suggested a shop in Redding, CA, about 100 miles away. When they finished the job, I was both amazed and angered at the condition of the axles when I took it in to the shop. They straightened everything up, and I hope my problems will be no more. I suggest anyone buying a new trailer have those axles before putting too many miles on the trailer.
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 01:23 PM   #14

I forgot to add this major comment...when I had my axles aligned, they told me NEVER to use the Easy Lube system. They said it was fine for boat trailers, but most people end up blowing out seals when they use them.
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 01:34 PM   #15

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
Not surprised that FR said to contact Lippert. Same blame game and denial from all the RV manufacturers. IMO, since the RV manufacturers are building the unit they should be responsible for everything they use. Auto manufacturers use thousands of parts to build their vehicles, many from outside the U.S. yet provide warranty for them.

For those who disagree, save me the excuses. If the RV manufacturers would warranty all the items they use, the contractors supplying those parts would do a better job of building them it would be a win-win for everyone.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 01:46 PM   #16
Just A Member

It is amazing how many people confuse or think that Bearing Buddy and Easy Lube are the same kind of animal. They are NOT. Easy Lube puts no pressure on the rear seal. Bearing Buddy puts pressure on the rear seal. One is for marine use, the other for RV / trailer use. Both, used correctly, will work just fine.
ckeeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 02:23 PM   #17

No problems so far with EZ seals

I have a 2015 Forrest River Rockwood 2304S.
I have a lippert axle with ez lube that I have serviced three times and found the system to work great with no braking problems. It is no more of a problem to jack the axle to spin the wheel while pumping grease than it would be to remove the wheel. But, after reading about the problems mentioned here I will pull the wheel next time to check for grease leaking at the back seal.
PaPa Larry
PaPa Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 03:06 PM   #18

E-Z

I use to believe in the e-z lube with my former trailer. Purchased a new 5er(s.b.) and I decided to replace the Chinese wheel bearings with the Timken. I'm glad I did !!! found (2) wheel seals leaking although I never had used the E-Z lube. I would of had (2) drums full of grease if I had. I will be pulling the drums every (2) years to repack bearings.
ksmith954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 03:21 PM   #19

ckeeling ... I fully know the difference between Bearing Buddies and EZ lube. Your statement that the EZ lube puts no pressure on the rear seal may be true in a static condition like the trailer just sitting in your driveway. Many don't understand what SLOWLY pumping grease in the axle means ... that's where pressure enough to blow past the seal occurs. I've worked on too many RV's with greased up brake shoes to make a statement such as yours. Like I said ... I know people that have had good luck with the system ... if I'm going to the trouble of jacking up each wheel ... I'm going to pull it ... dust cap, keeper, and nut ... it's off.
Old 12-16-2017, 04:24 PM   #20

I have EZ lube on camping trailer and boat trailer. I have had the camping trailer for 3 years and boat trailer for 12 years. No grease problem with either one. I like the EZ lube system. I pump grease until it comes out the front and stop. It does seem like a good idea to rotate the wheels while applying the grease into the zert. However, I don't do this.
txredfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, leak, seal