Old 12-15-2017, 06:09 PM   #1

Another Lippert axle seal leak story

I was going to add this to an existing thread but I guess that thread was more than 6 months old so it wouldn't let me

Here's my tale of woe for the list. I took our TT in for warranty service on the slide out and asked them to check the brakes since they seemed to not be doing much braking. Got the call from the dealer today - at least two of the 4 wheels has leaking seals and contaminated brakes.

I should get the TT back on Monday complete with pictures of the issues. From what they told me FR won't cover this even though we only have 6 months and < 500 miles on it. I guess I get to start the battle with Lippert once I get my bill & the pics. Beginning to regret buying this trailer...

Two shedding mutts
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 08:38 PM   #2

We have to get our unit inspected every year, 4 times since 2010 at least one seal was leaking, most were not bad leaks but still needed replaced to pass inspection. One time has been on our 2016 Silverback for its first inspection.

Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 09:00 PM   #3

I have 2014 3 axle XLR.
Before driving to CO wife and I pulled all the wheels for inspection.
Every seal was blown. Shoes covered in grease. Lotsa work.
I think this is more normal than not.

XLR 415AMP, F350 Lariat 6.7 DRW, three bikes, NRA Benefactors.
dwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 10:00 PM   #4

If you have EZ Lube axles ... that's probably the reason you have seal issues. If you don't service your own unit and have a dealer do it ... many times a tech will just put a power greaser to the EZ lube zerks and go after it. Guaranteed to blow out the rear seal and coat your brakes with grease. I don't care for the EZ lube system and don't use it ... I repack by hand every couple of years. If you insist on using it ... per Dexter ... jack each wheel up independently and rotate tire while SLOWLY pumping grease until you see it come out outer bearing with dust cover plug off. I guarantee you'll use better than a tube of grease per wheel the first time as even Dexter doesn't fill the entire wheel cavity so their invention will work. If you don't have EZ lube axles ... disregard the above.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 10:37 PM   #5

Agreed...I will not be using the EZ-Lube system either and only grease by hand.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 10:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
If you have EZ Lube axles ... that's probably the reason you have seal issues. If you don't service your own unit and have a dealer do it ... many times a tech will just put a power greaser to the EZ lube zerks and go after it. Guaranteed to blow out the rear seal and coat your brakes with grease. I don't care for the EZ lube system and don't use it ... I repack by hand every couple of years. If you insist on using it ... per Dexter ... jack each wheel up independently and rotate tire while SLOWLY pumping grease until you see it come out outer bearing with dust cover plug off. I guarantee you'll use better than a tube of grease per wheel the first time as even Dexter doesn't fill the entire wheel cavity so their invention will work. If you don't have EZ lube axles ... disregard the above.
Agree, not the best invention.

2016 t28FQDX Shockwave, New GY Endurance tires 7/17,TV-2015 LTZ Duramax with over 134,000 miles, with delete done, 2014 Polaris RZR 800 EPS/ 7100 miles
herbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 08:07 AM   #7

We do have the EZ Lube axles but since the trailer is only 6 months old with less than 500 miles on it, I haven't used them yet. From what I have been reading, I guess I never will.

My current concern is how much of a battle this will be to get the repair paid for by FR or Lippert. We bought the trailer at a dealer that was more than 100 miles from our house and when I tried to get a service appointment there I was told the first available appointment was 2 1/2 months out. I finally found a local dealer that would do the service but I would have to pay up front and then get reimbursed by FR. Now with the seal/brake issue, the cost of the service has doubled and according to the service manager I will likely have to go to Lippert to get the brake repair portion of the money. I will say, the RV industry service business model is certainly a poor one...
Two shedding mutts
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 09:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry2c View Post
I was going to add this to an existing thread but I guess that thread was more than 6 months old so it wouldn't let me

Here's my tale of woe for the list. I took our TT in for warranty service on the slide out and asked them to check the brakes since they seemed to not be doing much braking. Got the call from the dealer today - at least two of the 4 wheels has leaking seals and contaminated brakes.

I should get the TT back on Monday complete with pictures of the issues. From what they told me FR won't cover this even though we only have 6 months and < 500 miles on it. I guess I get to start the battle with Lippert once I get my bill & the pics. Beginning to regret buying this trailer...
My trailer was out of warranty by a few months and after having it serviced several time for no brakes (kept saying electrical each time) I pulled drums the third time and found brakes greased.... contacted dealer and told me to contact lippert axle manufacture and I sent them pictures of axle sticker info and pictures of each greased brake and they sent me 2 complete sets and seals....contacted my dealer and they cleaned, hand greased bearings and switched out shoes no charge.....wow had brakes for the first time I could feel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich5117 View Post
We have to get our unit inspected every year, 4 times since 2010 at least one seal was leaking, most were not bad leaks but still needed replaced to pass inspection. One time has been on our 2016 Silverback for its first inspection.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:36 AM   #9

I have the EZ Lube axles. I pulled the drums for the first time about two months ago just to check the brakes and seals. (About 6500 miles) The seals were good and no grease on the brakes. The grease looked good, not dirty or discolored, and there was plenty of it. Maybe not full, but pretty close. I repacked the outer bearings by hand and put the drums back on, keeping everything as clean as possible. I didnít see the need to replace the seals and repack the inner bearings. After assembly, I did use the EZ Lube. I pumped slowly and kept turning the drum. The only problem is thereís no way to tell if you blew grease past the seals when youíre done.

Iím wondering, if you fill the hub completely, will the grease expand when it warms up and push the seal out or push the rubber plug out of the cap? Maybe Iíll pull the caps and clean the grease out of the caps so there will be a little room for expansion.

Unfortunately, the trailer hasnít moved since. Weíll try it out in the spring.

2017 Rockwood 2703WS - Sold
2015 Keystone Sprinter 333FWFLS
2017 F250, 6.2 Gas, 3.73 Axle, 2902 lb Payload
If women don't find you handsome, at least they should find you handy!
andymil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 10:59 AM   #10

The EZ lube ... good or bad experiences ... works on the principal of a fully packed wheel hub cavity. That's the only way it can work as designed. When you pump grease in the zerk, it comes out a small hole just behind the rear wheel bearing. The seal is supposed to hold the grease and the path thru the back bearing, thru the hub, and on thru the front bearing is the design. I've seen a bunch of EZ lube failures ... on the other hand ... I know a couple of RV owners that swear by it. I personally just don't have the patience to jack up each wheel and slowly pump in grease per manufacturers recommendation and hope the seal holds. I'll disassemble and repack every couple of years and have the opportunity when all apart to check the rest of the brake assy which you can't do just pumping on a zerk.

dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, leak, seal