Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2016, 09:52 AM   #1

Another problem!!!! Help!!

Hey Guys,

I finally got everything worked out with my other issues, but now I have another problem.

Yesterday I drove from North Platte, Nebraska down to New Mexico to get out of the bad weather that was coming.

We pulled into a Walmart in Las Vegas, NM about 7PM last night and when I walked back to check the car there was coolant dripping down out of the engine.

I checked the reservoir and it was a little lower than earlier in the day, but when I climbed under the engine it looked like the coolant was coming from someplace in the engine area.

It was getting dark so I decided to wait till this morning to check it with the addition of sunlight to see things.

I checked through the hatch in the bedroom floor and couldn't see anything there. The hatch opens up to the top of the engine and you can't see anything in front of that area.

So after checking everything and not finding a broken hose or hose clamp, I was wondering what else this could be...

the amount of coolant was maybe 8 ounces total that was on the ground. it looked like I just poured a glass of it out on the pavement.

So, now im preparing to call a roadside service to drive up from Santa Fe to take a look at it.

BUT....I thought I would check with you guys first to see what you thought.

Is this normal???

Where would the problem possibly come from??

Should I drive it to Albuquerque to the Cummins shop?

What are your thoughts????

Oh, I haven't cranked it yet to see if its still doing it. We are just sitting here drinking coffee trying to figure out what to do...

Thanks for your input!!!
retiredchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 10:01 AM   #2
Mod free 5er

Maybe a rock got thrown into the radiator?
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 10:27 AM   #3
Berkshire 390QS

If you go to Albuqerque, recommend Rocky Mountian Cummins, we ended up there for two days and they have 3 RV spaces with electric and water hook ups and a dump station. What kind of HM do you have?
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 10:57 AM   #4

Sorry, I forgot some of the info.

we have a 2011 Forest River Coachmen Cross Country with a 340 HP Cummins and a 2500 Allison.

We just had it serviced in San Antonio three weeks ago.

We had a hose clamp replaced for the CAC in Odessa two weeks ago.

I just cranked it up and ran it a few minutes. The check engine light came on and the Low Coolant message came up on the console.

I'm goin in to Walmart now to get more coolant.
retiredchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 11:05 AM   #5
Director, FROG

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredchief View Post
Sorry, I forgot some of the info.

we have a 2011 Forest River Coachmen Cross Country with a 340 HP Cummins and a 2500 Allison.

We just had it serviced in San Antonio three weeks ago.

We had a hose clamp replaced for the CAC in Odessa two weeks ago.

I just cranked it up and ran it a few minutes. The check engine light came on and the Low Coolant message came up on the console.

I'm goin in to Walmart now to get more coolant.
Make sure that you get the appropriate coolant for your diesel. Not just anything will do.

A recently replaced clamp certainly sounds suspicious, since that seems to be the only thing that's changed recently, so that's where I'd look first. Also take a look at the seams on the coolant reservoir tank. I developed a small crack near the cap on a Sportscoach years ago. It was hard to see, but allowed a continuous trickle when the system was under pressure.

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 11:23 AM   #6

If you have air conditioning it could just be the water that the A/C is pulling out of your coach.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 10:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
If you have air conditioning it could just be the water that the A/C is pulling out of your coach.

Roger that. Was there confirmation of coolant vs water?

If it was coolant, could there have been an overheating when you shut off (when engine cooling stops suddenly) causing the radiator to blow off 8 oz.? (No, if you have a contained radiator overflow tank.)

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Old 04-18-2016, 07:17 PM   #8

I like the nitrogen in the tires and later on I'll probably go back to nitrogen, air is free, nitrogen is not. But hey you buy what you like not what other people say. Air and nitrogen have good points, free is hard to beat, air is free.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 07:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I like the nitrogen in the tires and later on I'll probably go back to nitrogen, air is free, nitrogen is not. But hey you buy what you like not what other people say. Air and nitrogen have good points, free is hard to beat, air is free.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
I like to Play Golf,but it also has Nothing to do with his A/F leak either? Youroo!!
Old 04-18-2016, 08:47 PM   #10

You need fleet charge coolant. Not going to get that at Walmart. I would just add water. Run coach, check hose clamps. If you cannot find the leek I would not drive the coach as you are in a safe place. Better than side of the road. If you do not have towing insurance you can get CoachNet in the AM $89 and use it the same day.

You should not loose any coolant and AC moisture would be at the front of the coach.

If the liquid is reddish it is definitely coolant.
silver is offline   Reply With Quote