Old 05-28-2012, 09:29 PM   #1
Experienced Newbie
Angry Apex 151RBX Frame issue

Another "quality" Lippert frame.
I was out doing some pre-trip maintenance as I'm heading to Michigan International Speedway in a few weeks for the NA$CAR race (greasing the hubs... 12 pumps in each hub before I saw any movement of old grease. Adjusting brakes... breakaway was inop on driver side due to mis-adjusted brakes). I'm also heading back to my dealer (General RV in Mt. Clemens) to have them test the water system as it was not winterized. It appears that they simply poured a little in the toilet and called it a day. I checked the backflow valve in the city inlet and got a shot of air and water.

While checking things out, I noticed a few medium sized rust spots on the drivers side frame rail. (All pictures are thumbnails and should load in a new window to larger images)

This did not make me real happy as the camper is only 6.5 months old (Built in November 2011, shipped to my local dealer end of Jan 2012, I took delivery Feb 4, 2012)

Upon closer inspection, the rust spots are where the rear grey and front black tank supports are located. Upon even closer inspection I found the picture below:

It appears to me that the rear grey, and front black tank supports were welded on in an over lapping manner as evidenced by the welding (and cutting) scars.

Then the bombshell...

That is my brake adjustment tool behind the bottom of the bracket.

Lippert doesn't want us drilling or welding anything to the frame as this voids the warranty, but what (besides the frame warranty claim that I'll be filing tomorrow morning) am I going to do here? I don't want to use this trailer and risk having the grey or black tank fall out. Especially as the campground I'm using in 3 weeks doesn't have a dump station. The closest dump station is a few miles down the road, unless the MIS campgrounds have one.

As some folks are heading out for their first trips of the season, please take a moment to look at your frames, especially under the new campers.

2011 Silverado CC/SB
2014 Cougar 31SQB
mhartzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:41 PM   #2
Current River Rat
That is some of the worst welding I have ever seen. And growing up in a Mopar dealership and having a grandfather that was a master welder I've seen plenty of welding jobs. Looks like my 5 year old grandson was working that day. Good luck and hope they stand behind their "work".

Bruce & Sarah Tanner
Bttravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:49 PM   #3
Welcome to the world of 'no one gives a damn' in Lippert's version of quality control. That is beyond pathetic, and it is unfortunate that you now have to fight to get it repaired.
You have my sympathies.
DonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:58 PM   #4
Experienced Newbie
Wednesday June 13th, I picked up the trailer from my dealer so I could to to the NASCAR races this past weekend. Welds were repaired and met my standards for being capable of holding 250#. The dealer is just waiting for some oil based paint to cover it up properly. They told me "Take it out and when you're done, bring it back in and we'll finish it up.".

I'd like to give praise and credit to General RV of Mt. Clemens, Michigan for handling this situation.

2011 Silverado CC/SB
2014 Cougar 31SQB
mhartzel is offline   Reply With Quote