Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2015, 07:49 PM   #21
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallgrlx2 View Post
We recently purchased a Coachmen Catalina 243 RBS. The PDI went went smooth. Only 1-2 minor items to correct. However, after reading the FR forums, it appears the FR installs China Bomb tires on all units. If so, how do I identify a China Bomb tire, and what recourse do we have with the dealer or FR?
Ford 150 Eco Boost
2016 Coachmen Catalina 243 Banner Edition

Ford 150 Eco Boost
2016 Coachmen Catalina 243 Banner Edition
If you read the tire sidewall you will find a "Made in xxxx" statement.

You can also use THIS web site and the first two characters of the DOT serial to learn the actual plant where your tires were made.

If you review my RV tire blog, you should find answers to almost every question you have on tires and the proper application on Rv service.

If that isn't enough you can send me email (address posted under my picture on my blog) and I will answer your specific question other thaan to make recommendations on what tire to use.

I even have ten posts that mention China made tires.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 07:55 PM   #22
Carknocker Family

Like them or don't, I just purchased a set of Gladiator ST225/75r15. 10 ply.. What I read, on reviews was good, so I went for it. A feller at work has a set of gladiator mud tires on his Chevy and had nothing but good things to say about them. No matter what, I feel that they will be better than the Lions head 8 ply that they are replacing. I will let y'all know.
2017 Ram 2500
2014 Salem 32BHDS
Ida Ratherbe Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:12 PM   #23

My last two fivers had tires made in China as standard and on both I told the dealer if he wanted the sale the tires had to be made in America. With you already buying the unit it may be a tough sale to get them replaced, if you can afford it I would change them out for piece of mind.
Pitcrew18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:58 PM   #24

There is zero nada none zilch incentive for FR to upgrade tires...Tire goes boom... Trailer goes boom...daddy buys a new 5er. The trailer tire wells on these rolling wonders are junk design. Add a metal box around the area with tires to protect everything. If passenger and LT tires blew at the rate of trailer tires the roads would be a mess.

I tow trailers all the time. Two boats and one is always hooked up. Kept undercover and maintained I am good for at least one blow out a rear on one of my trailers...sometimes two.

I am of the opinion the only thing to do is swap them all every 2 or 3 years.

My 2 cents

Salt

Lose the 2nd and the rest will follow.
Salt Shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 09:29 AM   #25

Lt's Vs St's

Everybody has an opinion on tires. You just have to go with your gut. I have been pulling 5th wheels since the 70’s and am always anal about the tire pressures and still have had a few blowouts. Be careful putting LT’s on a trailer. You can pull the sidewalls loose on LT’s if you get in a bind and have to make some sharp maneuvers while backing. It is a sure disaster and the tire will eventually fail. This can happen on ST’s as well but they have a little more flexibility in the sidewalls
fasthauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 09:59 AM   #26

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by elind View Post
I believe that how these tires are used leads to trouble more than who made the tires. Just because they were made in China doesn't make them all equal. The same is how they are used on different RVs. Take a load range C tire on an average RV and the max load is 1,000 over dry weight. Add 1,800 pounds of cargo into it with something too heavy in the front or back. Now hookup your RV to your TV only to find out the hitch height was a little off and one set of axles is carrying too much weight. Oh yah, the tire pressure wasn't up to the max inflation. Oh well, time to head down the road and your doing 70-80 mph all day. When bam, the China bomb blew up!! What is the first thing to blame? Maybe all of the above. But a start to the problem would be upgrade to a load range D or E tire. Then figure out the rest.
I agree 100%. All tires can fail. The stock ones I replaced had a bead issues with crumbling, more so to do with install than actual manufacture. I had a lift kit put on my trailer due to what blind said about towing level and equal loads.

P Pressure
L Loading
S Speed
If all the above are within spec you are running safer.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 04:47 PM   #27

Thumbs down Westlake Tire’s are junk!

So after 2 years 1 month and less than 2500 miles my Westlake tire failed!
No it didn’t blow out it just came apart like a retread and tore apart my wheel well till I came to a quick stop. At 65 mph it came apart doing over $3600 in damage. Stored inside from mid Oct-April 21. Hey still had 80 psi.
Forest River will do nothing (except continue to put these on their campers) and Westlake says
‘Per our warranty policy, consequential damages of any kind are not covered.’
Nice company to do business with-NOT!!
$700 for new non Chinese G-rated will save you $3600. Good luck!
RTB Hauler is online now Report Post
RTB Hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 05:41 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB Hauler View Post
No it didn’t blow out it just came apart like a retread and tore apart my wheel well till I came to a quick stop. At 65 mph it came apart doing over $3600 in damage. Stored inside from mid Oct-April 21. Hey still had 80 psi.
Forest River will do nothing (except continue to put these on their campers) and Westlake says
Sorry I disagree Westlakes are very good tires. Are you sure that it wasn't a road hazard that caused the tire to come apart??

We have had two sets. We got over 5 years out of the last Westlake's and would buy them again.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 05:44 PM   #29

An older thread so maybe it's appropriate that the attached article is from the same year.

This is an article from Modern Tire Dealer that delves into many issues around ST trailer tires.

Might be some good reading for those that don't understand ST tires (even for those who think they do).

One point that is mentioned in the article, as late as 2015 many Chinese mfr's hadn't included improved features into their tires even though people were towing their trailers faster and faster due to having more power in their tow vehicles.

The "anti Chinese made ST tire sentiment was set some years ago and the tires that are failing are probably from the end of the "Old Technology" era.

I do know that the tires on my TT say that their max speed is 75 mph which is a 10 mph bonus from older ST tires. They also have plenty of load capacity for the actual scale weight of my trailer.

ST tires: All-steel radial construction is meeting the demand for more carrying capacity - Retail - Modern Tire Dealer

One of those interviewed in the article pointed out the obvious though.. People often don't maintain their tires, letting them become under inflated, don't cover them, and drive like a bat out of hell down the roadway ignoring the speed limit of their trailer tires.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 06:07 PM   #30
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB Hauler View Post

If tire held air but the tread came off 9and did damage) that is called a Tread/Belt separation. Get a few good pictures. - In full sunlight and close enough to only capture 1/2 the tire. Both side shots and 3/4 on.
Capture the full DOT.
Then visit NHTSA and file a complaint. In the complaint point out that both the "dealer" FR and the tire company "Westlake" were not interested enough to collect the info about the failed tire so they could report to NHTSA as requires.
When you get the complaint number back from NHTSA you then advise FR and Westlake that you reported to NHTSA that FR & Westlake chose to ignore the failure so they would not have to file their failed tire report as required.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Old 06-06-2018, 07:53 PM   #31

That is great info to have and I will take your advise.
Much appreciated!
RTB Hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:15 PM   #32
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattleNsmoke View Post
Typically the heavier the trailer, the more likely the cheap Chinese will explode. At least that seems to have been the pattern.
Yep, and seems to be more so with fivers than with bumper pulls.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:53 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I do know that the tires on my TT say that their max speed is 75 mph which is a 10 mph bonus from older ST tires. They also have plenty of load capacity for the actual scale weight of my trailer.

ST tires: All-steel radial construction is meeting the demand for more carrying capacity - Retail - Modern Tire Dealer

One of those interviewed in the article pointed out the obvious though.. People often don't maintain their tires, letting them become under inflated, don't cover them, and drive like a bat out of hell down the roadway ignoring the speed limit of their trailer tires.
I read Roger Marble's blog (Tireman9) on tires periodically. His recent update talks about tire speed ratings:

"The problem is that Speed Symbol does not have any standard DOT test or requirements as in the US Speed Rating is really a marketing tool and not a strict performance requirement. "

"Let me close with a question I have asked a number of times but as of now have never received an answer for. What "magic" engineering are tire companies putting in their ST tires that allows them to run 75 or 81 or even 106 mph without making any adjustments in load or inflation?"

For me, I will keep my max towing speed at 65 mph even though my tires state 75 mph is acceptable.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:15 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
I read Roger Marble's blog (Tireman9) on tires periodically. His recent update talks about tire speed ratings:

"The problem is that Speed Symbol does not have any standard DOT test or requirements as in the US Speed Rating is really a marketing tool and not a strict performance requirement. "

"Let me close with a question I have asked a number of times but as of now have never received an answer for. What "magic" engineering are tire companies putting in their ST tires that allows them to run 75 or 81 or even 106 mph without making any adjustments in load or inflation?"

For me, I will keep my max towing speed at 65 mph even though my tires state 75 mph is acceptable.
I keep my speed down too. Both for the sake of the tires and my wallet. Over 60 I loose 2 mpg. 60 gets me there soon enough

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 03:21 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post

"Speed ratings are the product of laboratory testing – with simulated speeds and loads. To receive any kind of rating, a tire must demonstrate that it’s capable of sustaining a particular speed. Industry standards govern the process of reaching and maintaining a given speed during a test."

"However, it’s important to remember that the lab can’t simulate every conceivable condition. Think of your tire’s speed rating as an indicator of the product’s capability under controlled conditions (i.e. fully inflated, vehicle running properly, good weather conditions). Your tires’ actual speed capability may be less than its rated speed, since it is affected by factors such as inflation, wear, vehicle condition (including alignment), driving conditions and the duration at which speed is maintained. Speed ratings do not apply to tires that have been damaged, altered, under-inflated, overloaded or repaired."
Old 06-10-2018, 07:41 PM   #36
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
"Speed ratings are the product of laboratory testing – with simulated speeds and loads. To receive any kind of rating, a tire must demonstrate that it’s capable of sustaining a particular speed. Industry standards govern the process of reaching and maintaining a given speed during a test."

"However, it’s important to remember that the lab can’t simulate every conceivable condition. Think of your tire’s speed rating as an indicator of the product’s capability under controlled conditions (i.e. fully inflated, vehicle running properly, good weather conditions). Your tires’ actual speed capability may be less than its rated speed, since it is affected by factors such as inflation, wear, vehicle condition (including alignment), driving conditions and the duration at which speed is maintained. Speed ratings do not apply to tires that have been damaged, altered, under-inflated, overloaded or repaired."

Correct. The test duration at the tire top speed is usually 10 to 30 minutes depending on what test procedure the tire company selects to follow.

Since DOT does not recognize the SAE speed rating numbers and the SAE test says it only applies to Passenger and Light truck tires. I wonder what test procedure the different tire companies are using or invented as there is no industry recognised standard test that all ST type tires are run to establish a speed rating.

Related question. Your engine has a speed rating too. it is called a "Red Line" and you see it on your tach. Wonder how many hours you or others are comfortable running your engine at the Red Line?
Old 06-10-2018, 10:52 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Correct. The test duration at the tire top speed is usually 10 to 30 minutes depending on what test procedure the tire company selects to follow.

Since DOT does not recognize the SAE speed rating numbers and the SAE test says it only applies to Passenger and Light truck tires. I wonder what test procedure the different tire companies are using or invented as there is no industry recognised standard test that all ST type tires are run to establish a speed rating.

Related question. Your engine has a speed rating too. it is called a "Red Line" and you see it on your tach. Wonder how many hours you or others are comfortable running your engine at the Red Line?
You can always ask.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.do..._tools-tag.pdf
Old 07-24-2018, 08:42 AM   #38
FoxMan

I had TOWMASTERS on my Crusader 330MKS and had 2 blowouts. Finally found US made tires and have only pulled 450 miles with them so far but the handling is the best it has ever been on that coach. My tires are st235/80 r16 E and the brand is Goodyear Endurance. I have heard nothing but good about these tires before I purchased them. So far so goo!
altfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 08:43 AM   #39
FoxMan

The Goodyear Endurance tires are also N speed rated 87mph. They are a highway tire.
altfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 10:18 AM   #40
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by altfox View Post
I had TOWMASTERS on my Crusader 330MKS and had 2 blowouts. Finally found US made tires and have only pulled 450 miles with them so far but the handling is the best it has ever been on that coach. My tires are st235/80 r16 E and the brand is Goodyear Endurance. I have heard nothing but good about these tires before I purchased them. So far so goo!

Sorry to hear you had problems. Were your "failures" Belt separations or sidewall flex failures? These two different failuremodes result from two different use conditions and leave different evidence. I have covered this is detail in a few different posts on my blog and there is a post on This forum explaining the difference.

If you don't know the "why" something failed you need to realize your "fix" may not address the root cause of the problem.

You can fail any brand tire in just a few miles under certain conditions.

Tags
tire, tires