Old 02-26-2015, 09:10 PM   #1

Are these China Bomb tires

We recently purchased a Coachmen Catalina 243 RBS. The PDI went went smooth. Only 1-2 minor items to correct. However, after reading the FR forums, it appears the FR installs China Bomb tires on all units. If so, how do I identify a China Bomb tire, and what recourse do we have with the dealer or FR?

Ford 150 Eco Boost

2016 Coachmen Catalina 243 Banner Edition

Ford 150 Eco Boost
2016 Coachmen Catalina 243 Banner Edition
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1425002999.878068.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	70346  

Old 02-26-2015, 09:16 PM   #2
(Dry Huunday)

Constancys are made in China....as far as what you can get FR or your dealer to do??? No clue...guess it depends on your dealer? You may be out of luck since you already accepted the trailer.

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:50 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreiHunde View Post
Constancys are made in China....as far as what you can get FR or your dealer to do??? No clue...guess it depends on your dealer? You may be out of luck since you already accepted the trailer.
Most of the ST tires ARE made in China. Wildcat now has an optional tire that you can order when you spec out a unit. It's a Maxxis 8008 tire but it's pricey.
2015 129 nites
2016 63 nites
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:05 PM   #4

China Bomb tires are those that blow out. Are all tires made in China.. Bombs? No...... Is there a particular brand.... No. Some of us have had tires made in China on trailers for years & never had an issue but you rarely hear that. But many feel better if they upgrade their tire to Maxxis or Goodyears etc........

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 01:45 AM   #5
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
China Bomb tires are those that blow out. Are all tires made in China.. Bombs? No...... Is there a particular brand.... No. Some of us have had tires made in China on trailers for years & never had an issue but you rarely hear that. But many feel better if they upgrade their tire to Maxxis or Goodyears etc........

I agree with everything you say here and even run the stock Constancys on my camper.

But what I think may be confusing to some is when we see statements on this forum (and others) stating things like "Had the dealer replace the China bombs before it left the lot" or "Don't trust the China Bombs to make it home" etc. Did any of those tires blow? No, they were fine so it kind of makes one think that there might be a particular brand or brands that are suspect and need to be changed, when in fact its all tires from China that some people mistrust..... but I could be wrong...its happened before, I think!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
Old 02-27-2015, 01:56 AM   #6

Typically the heavier the trailer, the more likely the cheap Chinese will explode. At least that seems to have been the pattern.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 07:59 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

I believe that how these tires are used leads to trouble more than who made the tires. Just because they were made in China doesn't make them all equal. The same is how they are used on different RVs. Take a load range C tire on an average RV and the max load is 1,000 over dry weight. Add 1,800 pounds of cargo into it with something too heavy in the front or back. Now hookup your RV to your TV only to find out the hitch height was a little off and one set of axles is carrying too much weight. Oh yah, the tire pressure wasn't up to the max inflation. Oh well, time to head down the road and your doing 70-80 mph all day. When bam, the China bomb blew up!! What is the first thing to blame? Maybe all of the above. But a start to the problem would be upgrade to a load range D or E tire. Then figure out the rest.
2015 129 nites
2016 63 nites
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 08:31 AM   #8
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elind View Post
I believe that how these tires are used leads to trouble more than who made the tires. Just because they were made in China doesn't make them all equal. The same is how they are used on different RVs. Take a load range C tire on an average RV and the max load is 1,000 over dry weight. Add 1,800 pounds of cargo into it with something too heavy in the front or back. Now hookup your RV to your TV only to find out the hitch height was a little off and one set of axles is carrying too much weight. Oh yah, the tire pressure wasn't up to the max inflation. Oh well, time to head down the road and your doing 70-80 mph all day. When bam, the China bomb blew up!! What is the first thing to blame? Maybe all of the above. But a start to the problem would be upgrade to a load range D or E tire. Then figure out the rest.
Well Said!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
Old 02-27-2015, 08:44 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Our OEM Goodyear Marathons and the replacement Goodyear Marathons were both made in China. But other than 1 of the OEMs being "buffed" by the factory sobad that they wouldn't even balance, both have been good sets of tires. I replaced the originals at 6 years old.

As a number member stated, running the tires near the maximum weight rating, over the speed rating, and not inflating the tires to maximum pressure could all contribute to problems. I have around a 500 lb. reserve weight on each of my tires, travel at 65 mph or under (with the occasional burst to 70 mph to get back into a lane), and keep the tires inflated to 50 lbs.

Another thing to consider is whether a tire actually blows out, or if it looses air and goes flat. By the time you recognize a flat on a trailer, that puppy looks like it blew out.......the tire shredded, with resulting damage to the trailer. That is where a TPMS could really be beneficial. Unless someone actually hears the "pow", the tire might have just gone flat. And the "pow" noise could have come from a flat tire shredding and take out a fender well. While traveling with my daughter and SIL and another couple, the couple in the rear saw my daughter's trailer start to lean. They pulled up beside of the trailer, saw the tire going flat, and notified the convoy via CB radio. By the time my SIL pulled over , the tire was shredded.....it did not blow out, but went flat. If someone had not actually witnessed the tire going down, then we would all presumed "blowout".

I am going to move this thread to "Tires", as it applies to all trailers, not just Coachman.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 08:49 AM   #10
Dazed & Confused

A good article on tires from RV 101: Trailer Towing ST Tires vs. LT Tires. There is a section on Chinese manufactured ST tires.

M&K Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires