Old 06-18-2016, 09:22 AM   #1
Are these tires OK?

Just bought a new truck (Silverado 1500) and new TT (Wildwood 27RKSS).

Below are the specs for the tires currently on each.

Are either of these crapola tires or are they ok (i.e. safe)?
If you consider that I should replace any of them now what specs should I be looking for?

TT Tires:
Castle Rock ST
Tread: 2 nylon plies & 2 steel plies
Sidewall: 2 nylon plies
50 psi
Made in China

Truck Tires:
Goodyear Wrangler SR-A
51 psi
Made in Canada

seakayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 01:24 PM   #2
My 2 cents-

Change the TT tires to load range d and sell the old ones on Craig's list. Don't forget the spare.

I would continue to use the tires on your truck at max sidewall pressure while towing until they are worn and due for replacement UNLESS you have a sway issue-then upgrade to load range d's or e's.

2014 Evo 2850 "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra "Clifford"

2014 Stealth Evo 2850- "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra Rock Crawler TRD 5.7- "Clifford"
2013 Honda Accord Coupe V6 w/Track Pack- "Julia"

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 02:07 PM   #3
Commercial Member
All tires sold for use on public highways must be "certified" by the tire company to meet published regulations. The RV company is responsible for advising of the inflation needed to carry the load as shown on the certification label.
The label is located on outside at the front end of the driver side of the trailer.

While "Made in China" is correct it might be more meaningful to know which tire plant made the tires as I do not know of a "Castle Rock" tire company so this is just a name molded on the tire. To learn the tire plant and even more importantly the 'BORN ON" date we need the full DOT serial molded on the sidewall of every tire.

Another item you can use to judge the quality of your tires is to check for the written tire warranty. Is it good for 30 days, one year? or did it expire the moment you drove off the dealer lot?

You might ask the RV dealer for the location of the nearest dealer selling and servicing Castle Rock tires
I write a blog on RV tire application and safety.
Also give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 02:50 PM   #4
Usually Confused Member
Go to any of the truck forums and you'll learn that the Goodyear SRA tires are pure JUNK. The sidewalls are paper thin (well, not quite but you get the idea). Even without a trailer hooked up they let your truck do a lot of swaying, especially when a big truck or a box truck passes. I even noticed movement when getting passed by large sedans at 75+ MPH. At least you can get a new set for about $500. If you're lucky they might last 35,000 miles.

Go get a quality set of E-loads.
At some point during every day you suddenly realize nothing else productive is going to happen the rest of that day. For me, it usually occurs around 9 am.

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 03:14 PM   #5
Cooper ht3 load range E work well.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 06:14 PM   #6
Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
You didnt exactly specify, but I assume your new truck and trailer is actually "new"...not just new to you. The below post assumes a brand new truck and trailer.

While there are certainly far better tires out there for both your TT and TV, they will most likely give you at least several years of service before needing to be replaced. At that time I would upgrade both to something better. Replacing them now and selling them as used is also a good idea (it's what I did, but is not as cheap).

What you should buy right away before any lengthy towing is a TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitor System) for the trailer. In my opinion, this is far more important than upgraded tires and should even be used with upgraded tires. Armed with a TPMS, you will be instantly notified of a tire failure (in fact most often BEFORE failure) and should be able to react accordingly before doing any damage to your trailer. In case your not aware, TT tire blowouts can cause thousands of dollars in damage to a TT before you ever realize the tire failed. A good TPMS will run you about $200-$250 for 4 tires.
'04 GMC Sierra 2500HD, CCSB, D/A, MaxBrake, B&W Companion, Retrax Pro, AR Power Steps
2013 Rockwood 8289WS w/Diamond pkg
1969 Camaro RS/SS Convertible
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 05:04 AM   #7
TPMS recommendation

Yes, both are truly new. Not just new to me.

Thanks for the tip on TPMS. I was also wondering about those.

Can you make a recommendation? Are these easily user installed?
Charleston, SC
2016 Silverado 1500 LTZ
2016 Wildwood 27RKSS
seakayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 05:27 AM   #8
I am NO tire expert BUT you will find "Lions Head Tire" sells the Castle Rock tire,they "Had a Castle RockRV tire that had a tread like a Corvette,they looked nice but they Dropped them after a Short while! Lions Head Tire will make a Mold with "YOUR NAME" on the sidewalls if you buy a certain # of Tires,that is How so many Tire names are out there Now! Trail Tamer,Trail Twister,Trail Whatever! Same Tires just name change! Youroo!!
youroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:10 AM   #9
Engineer of Crazy Train
Never heard of the Trailer Tire. I have "china bombs" on my trailer, but I also have like 2000 to 2500 pounds of margin between my axle weights and what my tires are rated for. I would be worried if my margin was close.

The GoodYear SR-A are good for fuel economy and they are cheap to put on. Other than that, they are pretty worthless. The EcoDiesel community is constantly reporting blowouts with them. I currently have 5 wheels and tires for my truck to replace the SRAs. (Note: Not my tire. This is a fellow EcoD memeber who ran over a dead animal.)
TV - 2015 Ram Truck EcoDiesel
TV - 2006 Jeep Liberty Turbo Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
TT - 2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:45 AM   #10
I replaced both the tires on my new Ram Laramie and my TT Wildcat MAXX within the first year with: Truck with E lead and trailer with D load!

trailer--MAXXIS trailer tires

Days camping (2015)----88 days
Days camping (2016) ---110 days
2016 Wildcat MAXX 28RKX (33' TT), 2007 13' Scamp
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi
30 years RV'ing
12 different RV's
RSchleder is online now   Reply With Quote

tire, tires