Old 04-17-2016, 10:05 PM   #1

Arm chair diagnosis?

Slow corner turn to the left - KA-LUNK from down under. Slow corner turn to the right - KA-LUNK. Nothing seems to fall off! 😉

I'm thinking a problem with the sway bar or springs, either something loose or something hitting something else (or both of course). It definitely wasn't doing this a week ago.

Unit is a Forester 2401R MBS - Mercedes Benz Sprinter chassis. We just did a short weekend trip - 1.5 hrs each way and one overnight at a park. Nothing remarkable happened to the RV. The unit weighs more this time out than last but it's all within spec (we hit the CATS scale).

Curious if this will be a dealer issue or an MB repair shop issue. Probably the later due to chassis warranty.

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R

Old 04-18-2016, 12:35 PM   #2

Update: not surprisingly, our RV dealer says this will have to go to the local Mercedes-Benz Sprinter service center (I-State).

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R

Old 04-18-2016, 01:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNtraveler View Post
Update: not surprisingly, our RV dealer says this will have to go to the local Mercedes-Benz Sprinter service center (I-State).

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
If you have the Hellwig sway bar, I would think the RV dealer would need to take care of it.
Old 04-18-2016, 04:04 PM   #4

I have a 2016 2401w sunseeker. It has the hellwig sway bar factory installed.

Mine has same issue you described, has always and I have 6000 miles on it.

You're confirming for me that this is not a "feature." Will watch this one closely.

2016 Sunseeker W MBS

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 04-18-2016, 05:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
If you have the Hellwig sway bar, I would think the RV dealer would need to take care of it.

Makes sense, however it has not been determined that it's a Helwig sway bar issue yet. Also, the RV dealer doesn't do MBS chassis work. (I don't know if they do ANY chassis work; for example, Ford chassis work may have to go to the Ford dealership.) If need be, they may have to call FR and get them to authorize warranty work on the swaybar to be done at the MB service center. First, B and B service shop has to figure out what the problem is, or if it's not really a problem.

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Old 04-23-2016, 04:27 PM   #6

Update: The Mercedes Benz service folks (at Istate, Blaine MN) looked at it very thoroughly and checked everything under the unit to make sure it was all secure and nothing was broken. They drove it twice and again once with me and I could not replicate the sound. We took tight corners, pushed the load a bit to shift it around, and went over some very uneven parking lot terrain - nothing amiss. So, we agreed to leave it at that. Since there was no warranty work to be done, I paid for the mechanic's time and consider it worth it for the peace of mind that nothing was broken.

Upon return to the RV storage lot, plenty of clunking sounds pulling in an getting settled. It sounds like the box sets down then tries to adjust its position a bit before coming to rest.

At this point, if something breaks I'll get it fixed. Otherwise, it's a "live with the occasional clunk" situation.
Old 07-19-2016, 07:17 AM   #7

Mine is doing something very similar to yours. Have to be going really slow and over uneven ground like large gravel. Sometimes it will do it during a hard downshift. Sounds like the clunk is coming from right under my feet. It reminds me of the same sound a car would make if the sway bar end links were shot. I can't find anything loose or obviously wrong with it. I will check the exhaust like another guy mentioned. Did you ever find the cause?
Old 07-19-2016, 08:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickc View Post
Mine is doing something very similar to yours. Have to be going really slow and over uneven ground like large gravel. Sometimes it will do it during a hard downshift. Sounds like the clunk is coming from right under my feet. It reminds me of the same sound a car would make if the sway bar end links were shot. I can't find anything loose or obviously wrong with it. I will check the exhaust like another guy mentioned. Did you ever find the cause?
No.