Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2015, 04:29 PM   #1

Axle bearings not available??

I've taken my 2010 Wildcat in for bodywork after blowing 2 tires and replacing a third on this summers vacation trip. I get a call from the service provider that I need to replace both axles because there are no bearing replacements according to the axle manufacturer. I contact Forest River service and they tell me that they don't make the axles that one can only follow what the manufacturer says. I removed the hub and noted that there is no damage to the axle it just needs new bearing( even tho they are all never-lub/perma-seal). I just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.
purvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 05:04 PM   #2

I would get one of the bearings and drive over to NAPA and see if they could get a replacement.
Old 09-26-2015, 05:08 PM   #3

Are these cartridge bearings or conventional tapered roller bearings? One of my horse trailers has dexter axels and it has what they call a cartridge bearing,which is like what you have on newer cars or trucks. The bearings and seal are all in one replaceable houseing that is pressed into the hub.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 06:05 PM   #4

I think Lippert was making those axles but because of all the failures they quit making them. They were a sealed roller type bearing like you would find in electrical motors for a while Lippert was sending replacement easy lube axles like I have on my Wildcat with the grease zerk on the end of the axles. You might contact Lippert and see if they will still take care of it for you.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 06:17 PM   #5
Georgia Rally Coordinator

I have a local trailer place here in town and they can service all types of axle bearings. I would search a similar place in your area. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 02:57 PM   #6

Donoval43

Get rid of those bearings. I had same. Had to replace both axels. Lippert reimbursed me. I put Dexter axels, with bearings that I can grease. No problems since. Find a good axel shop.
donoval43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 03:26 PM   #7

Ford Idaho X2. Spent 40 years in the parts industry . No axle manufacturer makes thier own bearings. Take a complete set inner bearings, outer bearings and seal (what's left of it after you take it out 😊 ) and either take them to NAPA or Oreillys and if they can't help , get on line on one of the many cross reference sites and you should be able to find. It sounds REALLY strange .......maybe a dealer trying to up-sell. After all my years in the parts business, I'm shocked at how nieve most RV parts departments are😞 ! My dealer told me they have no idea of the bearing numbers on my 2011 Wildcat, so when I pulled them to check last spring, I documented everything so if I'm stuck somewhere I have it all, including trailer axle models, serial numbers weights etc. Its very simple to do when you are sitting at home on a nice dry lad rather than on the side of the road somewhere! At least in our area, another great option for trailer axle and wheel end components is Traction Heavy Duty stores.
Filterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 03:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by purvis View Post
I've taken my 2010 Wildcat in for bodywork after blowing 2 tires and replacing a third on this summers vacation trip. I get a call from the service provider that I need to replace both axles because there are no bearing replacements according to the axle manufacturer. I contact Forest River service and they tell me that they don't make the axles that one can only follow what the manufacturer says. I removed the hub and noted that there is no damage to the axle it just needs new bearing( even tho they are all never-lub/perma-seal). I just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.
Not sure what axles you have but if you have AL-KO there is a company that still sells Al-KO and the bearings, I just got a set from them when I was told Dexter bought them out and al-ko is no longer. They are still in business. If your unit came with out Al-KO then I can't help except to pull your bearings and seals and have napa match them up..... Also I know there is company that still has american made Timex bearing if you know the size that will fit.. OC just redid his with American made bearings bought through e-bay.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 05:36 PM   #9

Went thru this for someone I know, depending on the axle installed bearings might not be available. Look for the tag on the axle and you can find out who manufactures the axle. Next do a bunch of searches on the axle, there is a ton of info on the problem. Bottom line you probably will need new axles as unbelievable as it sounds. Now the important thing.... Make a lot of noise you can get new axles free but you will have to install them yourself or pay to have them installed. The axles come with brakes and hubs
denville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 11:45 PM   #10

Quote:
I am thinking that there is nearly nothing in the world today that you cannot find on the internet.

If you gave us some information, loads of members on here are likely to help you. What is the model number of your trailer and throw in the Gross weight placated somewhere on there
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 01:47 AM   #11
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Not sure what axles you have but if you have AL-KO there is a company that still sells Al-KO and the bearings...
AL-KO did not make their own bearings either. Filterman and Ford Idaho have alluded to this. The bearings installed in AL-KO axles, like others, are widely available at NAPA or numerous other part sources. You need only to read off the number on the bearing races.

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 01:56 AM   #12
Just a member

Quote:
I get a call from the service provider that I need to replace both axles because there are no bearing replacements according to the axle manufacturer.
I don't believe that for a senior's moment - the service provider is pulling the wool down.

Btw... welcome to the forum!

Old 09-28-2015, 03:57 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandl View Post
AL-KO did not make their own bearings either. Filterman and Ford Idaho have alluded to this. The bearings installed in AL-KO axles, like others, are widely available at NAPA or numerous other part sources. You need only to read off the number on the bearing races.
This is true Kandl, But I always find it easier to just give the axle # to the manufacture and buy the parts there. I think I paid 46.00 for 4 sets with shipping. But that is just me. His trailer is only 5 years old and from his description it sounded like AL-KO to me. As far as I know FR only uses Dexter or al-ko which dexter did by out but Al-Ko still has a separate division. Napa would be my second choice.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 04:35 AM   #14
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
This is true Kandl, But I always find it easier to just give the axle # to the manufacture and buy the parts there.
Roger that. Don't have that luxury in these parts unless we want to wait weeks and weeks on end for parts. Known for a long time that utility trailers and towable RV's employ standardized bearings. What surprised me a couple of years back, when replacing an outer bearing on one of our AL-KO U40 (4000 lb) axles, is that the bearings are identical to the U35 (3500 lb) axle bearings. WTH? How can bearings spec'd for a 3500 lb axle be acceptable for a 4000 lb axle? If this seems reminiscent to a common weight related refrain, then you know the answer.

Old 09-28-2015, 06:32 AM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I am a subscriber to napa pro-link.
Get me a number and I'll get you numbers you can order.
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1443439956113.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	245.2 KB
ID:	90118

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "27 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 09:04 AM   #16

Parts manufacturing is a small community. It is common for one manufacturer to make parts for several brands. there is someone out there that will have a replacement. I have better luck at small mom and pop auto parts stores than big box stores because the people that run them have more knowledgeable staff. Big box stores hire people that have never worked on a vehicle much less know what you are talking about searching for a non car related part.
jimmymjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 04:20 PM   #17

There are places that only deal in bearings of all types. You can find them on the internet. You can give them numbers from the bearings you have or give them accurate measurements and they can find what you need. Did that one time for a bearing the parts store couldn't locate. (Real parts store with books!)
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 04:28 PM   #18
Georgia Rally Coordinator

As long as you have part num you can find. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 05:16 PM   #19

I got a bearing with just the proper measurements, was a machinist by trade. I didn't go to a parts store. Bearing supply.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 03:14 PM   #20

Lippert problems

Found bearings took them to Camping World last week, today get a call that hubs are bad too, From: Dan Collins [mailto:dcollins@lci1.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 22, 2015 8:00 AM
To: purvis@heartofiowa.net
Subject: FW: Wheel Bearings

Sir,

We are not able to get any parts for the SBS axles any longer like the ones you have on your unit. If you are needing to replace any parts such as the hub or bearings then you will need to purchase new hubs and possibly new axle beams. You will be able to use the existing brakes and springs from your current axles. Please contact our parts department if you should have any further questions. Thanks,

purvis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, bearings