Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2019, 04:11 PM   #1

Axle end cap missing

What is this issue! Dual axle rock wood 2104s. 2019

Is bearing broken free?
LorenzoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 04:13 PM   #2

Sorry thought I attached image
Old 06-30-2019, 04:29 PM   #3

Photo

What is broken
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BE691E38-A2E5-496B-AB29-55F0325D96FF.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	323.3 KB
ID:	208604  
Old 06-30-2019, 04:48 PM   #4

Looks like all it is, is that the grease cap has come off for some reason. Could just remove the wheel and tap it back in place. But what happened to the "hubcap" and why did the grease cap come loose, especially on a 2019? Looks like the grease cap came off and beat up the hubcap.

I would take the brake drum off for a bearing inspection, and maybe all wheels too. Has someone been in there before and removed the drums? If the castle nut isn't tightened up correctly or the cotter pin came out and the nut loosened up, the wheel could have been wobbling left/right and done some damage. How does the tread on that tire look?

Or did the dealer pump in a ton of grease during the PDI and blow the grease cap off?? Need to get in there and find out.
Old 06-30-2019, 06:30 PM   #5
Site Team

It's hard to tell, but looks like the outside bearing has failed. I agree with pulling the hub and checking it before doing anything else.

Have you jacked it up and tried turning and wiggling the wheel back and forth?
Old 06-30-2019, 07:20 PM   #6

Thanks for replies everyone. I’m currently in Nebraska (staying sober) on way home. After inspecting that visible disk - it’s made of rubber and loose. Wheel seems to operating normally. Btw home is Wisconsin another 700 miles or so
Old 06-30-2019, 08:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorenzoP View Post
Thanks for replies everyone. I’m currently in Nebraska (staying sober) on way home. After inspecting that visible disk - it’s made of rubber and loose. Wheel seems to operating normally. Btw home is Wisconsin another 700 miles or so
I think others will agree, removing the brake drum to see what's going on is highly recommended. If the bearings is damaged, you could end up with a disaster to deal with and you sure don't want that happening in the middle of nowhere. I wouldn't go another mile if it were me. At the very least, as suggested, jack the wheel up and see if it wiggles at all. A loose wheel bearing can even destroy the tread on a tire in no time, depending on how loose.

The grease cap is metal and has a rubber plug on the end that you remove for access to the grease nipple on the end of the axle. You're seeing the rubber plug but in the photo looks to me like the whole grease cap has come out.

Removing a brake drum is easy. Pull the cotter pin out of the castle nut and undo the nut. To put the nut back on, tighten it, back it off, tighten it again hand tight, then back it off the least amount needed to get the cotter pin into the hole in the axle (and bend the ends back). If you have no tools and a hardware store is close by, get a crescent wrench, needle nose pliers and a flat blade screwdriver.
Old 07-01-2019, 11:18 AM   #8

Have you tried to wipe the end of the "hub" clean?

Looks to me like it's possible that the end cap just came off and bits of grease were flung out to coat the end of the sleeve, making it look like something beat the dickens out of it.

Jack up wheel, check for excess play, rotate and listen for bearing (not brake) noise as wheel rotates. If none and wheel feels snug chances are all that happened is what I described.

A temporary "dust cover" can be improvised by merely covering the end of the hub sleeve with Duct Tape until you can obtain a replacement cap.

Think "Occam's Razor". Simplest solution is often best solution. If wheel shows no sign of looseness when jacked up, and rotates freely, you just lost a cap and some grease was flung out by centrifugal force.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 12:13 PM   #9

Thanks for all the help - I took the above advise and looked the wheel over and to the best of my knowledge the cap had simply fallen off. Taped over the hole and easily made it home.
Old 07-27-2019, 12:36 PM   #10

WOW, that could be an exact picture of what I just found on my Trailer! Out of curiosity was it the rear Passenger side Wheel? Mine is a 2018 Rockwood Ultralight 2906ws. The only road trip made so far was simply bringing it home after purchase, but that ride was roughly 400 miles. I experienced nothing abnormal on that ride, and expect to fine the same conditions as the Original Poster - I hope. As I am planning a Trip next week I plan on jacking up the suspect wheel and checking for any looseness or rubbing/sounds as I spin the wheel. I’ll then pull the wheel and take the necessary steps to repair it. If the Original Poster is listening, did you need to purchase any parts, or was it simply as easy as putting the Cap back on? As this has now happened to two practically brand new Forest River Trailers has anyone else seen this?
ALPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 11:23 PM   #11

It was on drivers side of our Rockwood 2104s . . . and the endcap is lying somewhere off I80 in Co or NE.
Took it to dealer and they repacked and replaced end cap - had them check all 4 wheels while they were at it.

Tags
axle