Old 10-23-2012, 12:52 PM   #1
Axle flip; 5 1/4 inch lift

Regards to info on axle flip; 5 ľ inch lift: It was very easy with simple with basic tools plus torque wrench and a welder. The $24 went to axle saddles(pics attached) bought from a local trailer shop. Now I thought you had to replace all Ubolts, do to stretching, but trailer shop said if they were in good shape use the old ones. The hardest part was jacking up high enough to get axle out and installing good jack stands. The most critical part is getting those axle saddles located. With the original axle saddles already there I located the new ones opposite those, not so hard(measure, measure, tac-weld, measure, finish weld, measure, clean and paint) This is nothing like locating saddles on a new axle which can make measuring x12. There are things like dropping one side of leafspings(to get axle out) and cutting brake-electrical lines on the one side. It only took me about 5 hours by myself well I do have an 8yr daughter who wants to help with every thing. Could have done it in 4hr but nothing like having good help, I love it.
I have attached pics and the saddles in yellow are the new ones and the blue are the original, not used any more.
This all said, do not attempt this if your not sure of your skills or equipment/tools. Putting that camper up on stands and being under it is nerve racking, even though I did one axle at a time. Do not attempt to weld if your not up to it, this is a critical weld and needs good, good penetration.
After axle flip I was worried about changing center of gravity but all seems well. I have somewhere over 5000ml and no issues other than carrying an extra step and blocks for stabilizers. I have not drug anywhere and (added bonus) that vacuum thing that happens when big-rigs go past has gotten 70% better. I can only believe the lift has given a vacuum release? Ya, I donít know but its better!
Some extra thoughts:
I am sure this will void camperís warranty.
I really only wanted a 3 inch lift but to do this would take a sub-frame between suspension and main frame. This would take a little engineering and a ton of measuring to relocate and align axles. More work than I really wanted to do but might be a better lift.
I read in other posts that a trailer shop might only charge $500 for axle flip??
Other possibilities I looked into to getting me closer to that 3 inch lift number I thought would be perfect. Shackle drop, Dexter and maybe others make really nice grease shackles that could lower 1 ľ inches. I think they are around $270 and they are supposed to give a nicer ride than original. I have not done this and probably never will just donít see a problem or issue yet.
And lastly, if you do the flip and you donít like it, Itís easy/easier to flip back and only 24$ and time invested.
Have fun, Good luck
Keep that shiny side up and the dirty side down
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AxleSadle_web.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	20979   Click image for larger version

Name:	AxleSadleSprings_web.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	20980  

YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:47 PM   #2
Mod free 5er
Nice job! You did a very good job! You can make your own shackles to drop the trailer a little. Just get some 1/4 x 2 or 5/16 x 2 bar stock and measure what your present rear shackles are and add 1" or 2" to the dim and drill your holes. Much better to tack all 8 together and drill all at the same time.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote