Old 05-12-2015, 12:14 AM   #1

AXLE FLIP F.R. Surveyor Sport 295

Has anyone done this? The trailer is toooooo low to the ground. I found some kits on etrailer, but I am just not sure about how to tackle this project.
I am looking for some actual experience doing this. Someone with firsthand knowledge please give me some good ideas. I am not afraid of turning a wrench.

Old 05-12-2015, 12:41 AM   #2

I flipped the axles on my Surveyor Sport 220. It's pretty straight forward with an etrailer kit. Block your rig securely, remove your tires, drop one side of each spring, unbolt your axles, install the new spring seat and re-install.

I'm not a welder so I had to take my axles in to have the new spring seats installed, but about the most difficult part of it was jacking the leaf springs to dis/re-connect. I also made sure to etch along the old spring seat before removing the axles to ensure proper placement when re-installing. More than likely you will need to add an extension to your brake wiring. Mine were too short to simply reconnect the existing wiring.

I took mine in for an alignment check when I was done, but everything checked out with no adjustment needed.

Old 05-12-2015, 06:53 AM   #3

How did you get your rig that high in the air safely?
Old 05-12-2015, 07:29 AM   #4

It doesn't have to be all that high... just enough to get the tires off. I used 2 unijack bottle jacks, 4 jack stands, and a number of 4x6 wooden blocks. You'll notice the unijack has a "saddle" at the top vs just a standard flat round... I don't really trust the flat rounds to stay on the frame.

I jacked up one side of my rig using the unijacks.. alternating a couple of pumps at a time, used stands and blocks (one directly under the frame to help spread the weight load across a longer point of contact, then the jack stand, and additional blocks under the stand to get the right height without having to extend the jack stands too high) to support that side about 3 feet or so in front and behind the wheels, then did the other side the same way. To further stabilize it I blocked under the scissor stabilizers and extended those, and blocked under the front trailer jack. So basically, each side of my rig had 4 points of contact/support.

I should note.. the entry door side of the frame had a wiring harness running along the bottom of the frame forward of the tire well that I had to move to the side of the frame during the flip... and needless to say.. this needs to be done on a hard flat surface.

Old 05-12-2015, 05:23 PM   #5

I flipped the axles on my 36' Cardinal fifth wheel so I could back it up my driveway. It was $1200 at Camping World in Tacoma, WA. in 2005. The negative to this is the additional height makes the rig wander on the road when it is windy, so I just have to slow down.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:57 PM   #6

Thanks yerome!
Old 05-12-2015, 10:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by acstrummer2006 View Post
Thanks yerome!
I probably should have added.. you might have to futz with the positioning once you start jacking it up. You'll know right away if you are front or back heavy at the jacking points. Just adjust (backward or forward along the frame) your initial jack points until you get even lift along the length of your rig.

Old 05-13-2015, 01:10 AM   #8

I prefer to swap out the drop axles for straight axles with the springs on top of the axles .

Tags
295, axle, sport, surveyor