Old 10-25-2012, 02:03 AM   #1

Axle grease

I just bought a Forest River 2013 X-Lite and it has the Ultra Lube axles and I was wondering what grease comes packed in the bearings from the factory. I want to pump some grease in some time but I don't like mixing grease. The salesman said it was napa lithium wheel bearing grease but I need to know for sure as I drive the desert in tripple digit weather.I sure don't feel like packing the bearings of a brand new trailer.I want to enjoy it for a while. Looking at another post it looks like when you pump the grease in it goes to the back of the hub or rear bearing and works its way forward and comes out up front some how? how do you get the old grease out? Is it easy and I'm asking a stupid question? Thank You Mike

Old 10-25-2012, 04:42 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondog2000 View Post
I just bought a Forest River 2013 X-Lite and it has the Ultra Lube axles and I was wondering what grease comes packed in the bearings from the factory. I want to pump some grease in some time but I don't like mixing grease. The salesman said it was napa lithium wheel bearing grease but I need to know for sure as I drive the desert in tripple digit weather.I sure don't feel like packing the bearings of a brand new trailer.I want to enjoy it for a while. Looking at another post it looks like when you pump the grease in it goes to the back of the hub or rear bearing and works its way forward and comes out up front some how? how do you get the old grease out? Is it easy and I'm asking a stupid question? Thank You Mike
Your ultra lube axles are very handy. You need to meet the Mauf. specks of the grease. Napa sells a tractor bearing lube which is rated for 500 degrees it comes in a green tube, they also have a red tube that is rated at 550 degrees. Both meet the specks that are recommended. Do not use lithium. As you pump the new grease in the old will be pushed out and collected around the zerk fitting area and then just wipe it out. becareful the edges are a little sharp and can cut your finger. I had to replace 3 zerk fittings being they would not accept grease got them at napa. Just as a note my TT came about a tube and a half low. Think of the unit as U shaped with a channel going down the center. You do not have to pull the bearings out to repack. Now with that said you should inspect your bearing depending on your usage. If you pull the bearing you will need to get new seals after inspection. It is a pretty easy system but make sure to check your grease levels by adding grease now and then and you will be a happy camper....

Old 10-25-2012, 08:41 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Do not use lithium.
Huh ?? I believe Dexter, Lippert, and Al-Ko all recommend using lithium based complex grease.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:24 AM   #4

X2
red tube that is rated at 550 degrees.

Use the highest temp and don't over grease.
Don't over grease. Just 2 pumps per 500 miles.

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Huh ?? I believe Dexter, Lippert, and Al-Ko all recommend using lithium based complex grease.
mtnguy you are correct. The manual reads "the soap type should be lithium complex or equivalent the specs which are important are USE NLG1 grade 2 with a min. drop point of 440 degrees" I do not use lithium grease except on my boat trailer, being I hope I never back my 5th in the water. I guess I'm just a farmer at heart...
Old 10-25-2012, 10:39 AM   #6

Here is a copy/paste from the AL-KO manual:

"Use a high temperature, automotive type wheel bearing grease
produced by a reputable manufacturer. The soap type should be lithium
complex or equivalent. Use NLGI Grade 2 product
with a minimum dropping point of 440
F."

Bob
2013 Rockwood HW296
w4drr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:54 AM   #7

I think the OP was concerned with matching the existing grease ("...I don't like mixing grease..."). Maybe a call to the axle manufacturer -- or FR -- is in order?

2015 Flagstaff 8528RKWS fiver
2013 Ram 2500 CTD Laramie CC SB 4WD Auto
cbconway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:11 AM   #8

I think as long as you use grease that meet the requirements that w4drr posted you won't have problems.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:30 AM   #9
Site Team

I didn't worry about matching. I just bought NAPA's best wheel bearing grease and pumped it in. 25,000 miles later, all is going fine.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:27 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbconway View Post
I think the OP was concerned with matching the existing grease ("...I don't like mixing grease..."). Maybe a call to the axle manufacturer -- or FR -- is in order?
One of the requirements in the specs on grease and oil is it must be compatible with others having the same specs. Don't worry about mixing like kinds of grease or oil. The military does not use a specific brand on a specific vehicle. That's why the oils & greases are compatible.

Tags
axle