Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2014, 07:03 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Santa Fe, Tx
Posts: 200
Axle problem

Got back from a trip a couple of days ago. All seemed ok. Today I noticed that the front tire on the right side is toed out. Looking from the side the bottom is toed out about 1.5-2" and the top is toed in. Have not had a chance to remove the wheel yet but the wheel is in firm. DW looked on another site and the feeling was that with tandem axles alignment is something that should be done. How often its not said, I guess when the tire is toed it needs to be aligned. The axle os the Torflex torsion axle. Any ideas
__________________

__________________
2012 F250 6.2 gasser 373 rear
2013 Rockwood 2104S Mini Lite
Ole Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:05 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Santa Fe, Tx
Posts: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Buzzard View Post
Got back from a trip a couple of days ago. All seemed ok. Today I noticed that the front tire on the right side is toed out. Looking from the side the bottom is toed out about 1.5-2" and the top is toed in. Have not had a chance to remove the wheel yet but the wheel is in firm. DW looked on another site and the feeling was that with tandem axles alignment is something that should be done. How often its not said, I guess when the tire is toed it needs to be aligned. The axle os the Torflex torsion axle. Any ideas
Does not seem to be abnormal tire wear
__________________

__________________
2012 F250 6.2 gasser 373 rear
2013 Rockwood 2104S Mini Lite
Ole Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:06 PM   #3
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Did you back it in on an angle or were you turning when you stopped?
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:11 PM   #4
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker
 
donanddona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Genoa, ILL
Posts: 1,424
Better check them bearings too.
__________________
Don & Dona W/yorkies Gizmo, Master Chief, & Tali
2011 Flagstaff 8528 BHSS 2015 Ford 6.7 XLT
2010 Full Timers & Still Going
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:12 PM   #5
rip
Senior Member
 
rip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 343
When you look at your tires, be sure you just backed straight up or pulled straight forward. My tandem tires flex/lean somewhat as I turn even slightly. Comment similar to OCs.
__________________
Ray
+ 2013 Rockwood Windjammer 2809W
+ 2008 GMC Sierra Crew Z71
+ 2002 Ford F-250 7.3L 4X4
rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:41 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
SKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,428
I'll second the turning while backing. Before comparing tire angles roll the whole rig at least 10-15 feet straight then recheck. Next time you're backing into a site midway through backing look at your tires, you'll be amazed at how much they move side to side, angles, etc.
__________________
Now-2014 Sierra 346RETS 5er BUB
Then-2002 Keystone Springdale 286RLDS TT

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:51 PM   #7
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 21,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKnight View Post
I'll second the turning while backing. Before comparing tire angles roll the whole rig at least 10-15 feet straight then recheck. Next time you're backing into a site midway through backing look at your tires, you'll be amazed at how much they move side to side, angles, etc.
The tandem axles on a C-130 require that you pull forward a minimum of 5 feet to align the axles after backing. I saw one parked without doing this (the Navy lineman stopped the guy and refused to allow him to pull forward - guess he was used to parking fighers) the wheels were cocked out about 10 degrees. That could not have been very good for the landing gear screw tracks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	51093  
__________________

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:59 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Santa Fe, Tx
Posts: 200
Thanks one and all. Pulled forward and then backed up straight ang like magic my wheels were normal. My only problem now is trying to convince DW that I made it this far in life without the help of a bunch of FROGS. Thanks again, a very humble buzzard
__________________
2012 F250 6.2 gasser 373 rear
2013 Rockwood 2104S Mini Lite
Ole Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:02 PM   #9
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Buzzard View Post
Thanks one and all. Pulled forward and then backed up straight ang like magic my wheels were normal. My only problem now is trying to convince DW that I made it this far in life without the help of a bunch of FROGS. Thanks again, a very humble buzzard
Hey, how do you think the rest of us learned this? We've all eaten vast quantities of 'humble pie'.
__________________

__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
axle

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:52 AM.