Old 04-01-2014, 05:42 PM   #41

It's official, the camper is not overloaded. The dealer weighed it on certified scales today. Only thing not in it are two 20" bicycles and some clothes. Everything else we travel with is in it. The weight was only 6720 lbs.

They are taking lots of measurements tomorrow, but it sounds like they are leaning toward some kind of frame problem now. Yay, more suspense...

Old 04-01-2014, 05:45 PM   #42
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgaines View Post
It's official, the camper is not overloaded. The dealer weighed it on certified scales today. Only thing not in it are two 20" bicycles and some clothes. Everything else we travel with is in it. The weight was only 6720 lbs.

They are taking lots of measurements tomorrow, but it sounds like they are leaning toward some kind of frame problem now. Yay, more suspense...
Are they even considering the axles are flipped wrong?

Old 04-01-2014, 06:31 PM   #43

I'm not sure. I remember from the first axle change they said the reason was because the axles were not cambered. I would assume (yeah, I know) that they would install them correctly KNOWING that was the first problem, or at least claiming it was.

They were trying to find a way to way each side of the camper instead of just the whole thing because they said there was something strange about the weight distribution. Personally, I find it of some concern that the frame damage caused by the u bolts and the worst wear on the tires and wheel wells was on the theoretically light side of the camper. Both slides on one side would, and does, make that side noticeably heavier, yet the worst damage was on the other side. That, coupled with the sway control/weight distribution bar on the "lighter" side not bearing as heavily on the bracket mounted to the camper makes me think something is "off" on the camper. The hitch was installed and set up by the dealer and both sides were set the same on the brackets, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Maybe they will have an answer tomorrow after taking all their measurements. If it actually does have some kind of frame damage, it has to have been that way from day one and I'm not sure I want it back, even if they claim it is fixed.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:54 PM   #44
Mod free 5er

Whatever, but as long as the axles have the bow down, they can measure all they want and re-build the frame and it will still be wrong and wear tires. I would insist, no, demand they flip the axles and put the springs on top and then start measuring things.

What they are neglecting defies common sense, no, it is borderline asinine.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:05 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Whatever, but as long as the axles have the bow down, they can measure all they want and re-build the frame and it will still be wrong and wear tires. I would insist, no, demand they flip the axles and put the springs on top and then start measuring things.

So simple, but so complicated no one will grasp it.

Wanna bet?
Old 04-01-2014, 07:09 PM   #46
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
So simple, but so complicated no one will grasp it.

Wanna bet?
Sounds like the dealer and his personnel need to go back to "Toy R Us" or "McDonalds", they don't have a clue.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:44 PM   #47

Are you sure thats correct? Dry weight from there website is 6683. You added 37 lbs? I bet the dealer is not addding tongueweight. Thats just whats onthe axles depending whatthe tongueweight is you are close. Intersting tosee what the dealer comes up with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgaines View Post

Old 04-01-2014, 08:48 PM   #48

I think you hit it on the head. Axles!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post

Old 04-06-2014, 09:37 AM   #49

Help!
RLWS 27' problem?
When backing our 27rlws we noticed the front tire was not vertically lined up with the rear tire and rim. It seemed to be slanted in at the top. It was backed up on a asphalt driveway, so a level surface. When placing an automotive jack under the axel and raising the trailer, the rim and tire seemed to straighten and sit straight vertically. Is this normal or is there a problem with the Torflex independent suspension ?

Sent from my SM-P600 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 04-06-2014, 09:43 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecelea View Post
Help!
RLWS 27' problem?
When backing our 27rlws we noticed the front tire was not vertically lined up with the rear tire and rim. It seemed to be slanted in at the top. It was backed up on a asphalt driveway, so a level surface. When placing an automotive jack under the axel and raising the trailer, the rim and tire seemed to straighten and sit straight vertically. Is this normal or is there a problem with the Torflex independent suspension ?

Sent from my SM-P600 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Are the lug nuts tight?
Is the axle nut tight?
Was the trailer backed in from an angle?
Air pressure up to snuff?

Tags
axle, grey wolf